Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

View Poll Results: Which person do you like to read in the most?
I like reading fiction in the first person most. 2 10.00%
I like reading fiction in the third person most. 6 30.00%
I like reading fiction in both the first and third persons equally well. 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Distantly

I find I write more in third person but first person can prove interesting. I think it's as mentioned before that the type of story you want to tell should inform which method you pick. If you want to get into the heads of a lot of characters, go third person limited omniscient. If you want to show a lot of events but leave it a mystery what people are thinking go third person. If you want to get into the head of one person and make the audience really empathize and feel this person go first person. Again, story should determine format not audience.

~Dysole, apparently in the minority of really liking the ending to the Hunger Games Trilogy
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 'Tis a matter of opinion...

Very interesting thoughts, all. I'm glad this inspired some conversation.

@Maklar/El T. I'll be reading them all. The whole reason I started was to read them before I saw the movies, so I can't really just stop with the first one. (And Maklar, I'm sorry, but it. Is. Awesome. )

@ JS. So... you originally meant to hit the 'third person' button, but now you've decided you like first person better? Not sure which one you're going for here.

@Bigga/JS. I agree with much of what you both said. The third person opens up the author's freedom, allowing him to talk to the reader and show things that the protagonist cannot see. Take the Curse of Feylund for example. In the very first chapter, I tell the reader that an unstoppable army is coming. However, I don't want Dilmir to know that until later. I couldn't have done that if I were writing in the first person.
Then again, the first person is basically a character development shortcut. It's like you said, Bigga:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog
I realized that putting the story in first person would make it a lot more personal, and the reader would become a lot more emotionally invested in my protagonist.
It is for this reason that I think it's a good idea for new authors to start out writing in the first person. It limits them, so they'll learn how to weave a story to their will, and it also takes a large part of the character development difficulties off of their plate. (Unless, of course, the protagonist is someone you can't sympathize with. That's the main thing.) Once they have the basics down, they can move into the freer style of the third person, and then decide which one they want to work with.
As far as writing goes, I think it comes down to your story in the end. If the story is like the Curse of Feylund, with events that the protagonist absolutely cannot know of or relate, then the story is going to have to be in the third person. If the protagonist is everywhere that matters, then put it in the first person for the added character development bonus.
As for reading though, it would seem that most prefer both or just the third person.
~TGRF, with his lengthy opinions.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Third. Not a fan of being stuck in someone else's head.

~Aldin, trying to remember if he's ever read a first person perspective book he liked - maybe a couple of short stories...

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Third. Not a fan of being stuck in someone else's head.

~Aldin, trying to remember if he's ever read a first person perspective book he liked - maybe a couple of short stories...
Goal, write a first person story Aldin will like.
I put both because when reading I have no preferance. When writing on the other hand I tend to write in third with a focus on one character. It gives the personal feel I desire, yet the freedom to go somewhere else and yet sort of makes me feel compelled to stay on the one character. Just my

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I tend to enjoy both of them, however, I should note that, even when written in third person, I prefer the writing to be from a specific character's perspective - it allows you to get inside the character's mind and otherwise I feel it could be a little too abstract. One of the positives of third person is that the character focused on can change from scene to scene, whereas for first person you can only focus on one character throughout the story, though you get more of an investment into that character. It just depends on the type of story you're writing, really.
Generally, I write in the third person from a character's perspective - it allows me to have a broader outlook while getting inside a character's mind.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro-man View Post
I look doing both because using first person and third person can create amazing scenes and sometimes using them together creates fantastic works of stories.

That is my opinion anyway.
An interesting opinion, Bro-man. Everything that I've read warns heavily against switching between first and third person. It usually serves only to confuse the reader, but I agree. If one could do it in such a way as to make it sound good, it could be amazing.
Hahaha lol. Everything you've read? Not mocking you, mocking what you've read. In high school this is the crap I got.

1) Never use first person

2) never give personal opinions

3) Never use pronouns

Strictly for the birds people. However, I do make one admonition. It is not usually a good idea to switch between perspectives unless you are writing a review. For fiction it is often better to keep one point of view. However, this is not always the case. I've read a number of great stories which resulted from dynamism in the perspective. Like a narrator switching between his experiences, your future or past experiences, and the opinions or possible actions of a third party. This doesn't work so well in writing, but it gaming it often works superbly well. Try playing Dear Esther, great storytelling.

Quote:
@William099 I would have agreed with you about a year ago, but now, having written in the first person, I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to read like a writer, and while that probably clouds my judgment, I can see how useful the first person is. It's limited though, because you can't tell the reader what is going on unless the protagonist knows it too.

Thanks for your opinions!

~TGRF.

Why on Earth would a broader perspective cloud your judgment?

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old February 20th, 2014, 03:49 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Lord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro-man View Post
I look doing both because using first person and third person can create amazing scenes and sometimes using them together creates fantastic works of stories.

That is my opinion anyway.
An interesting opinion, Bro-man. Everything that I've read warns heavily against switching between first and third person. It usually serves only to confuse the reader, but I agree. If one could do it in such a way as to make it sound good, it could be amazing.
Hahaha lol. Everything you've read? Not mocking you, mocking what you've read. In high school this is the crap I got.

1) Never use first person

2) never give personal opinions

3) Never use pronouns

Strictly for the birds people. However, I do make one admonition. It is not usually a good idea to switch between perspectives unless you are writing a review. For fiction it is often better to keep one point of view. However, this is not always the case. I've read a number of great stories which resulted from dynamism in the perspective. Like a narrator switching between his experiences, your future or past experiences, and the opinions or possible actions of a third party. This doesn't work so well in writing, but it gaming it often works superbly well. Try playing Dear Esther, great storytelling.
I had not considered those options, but yes, switching between persons could be useful there.
@ The High School rules - You've got to be kidding me. I feel like I could write a whole composition against every one of those 'rules.' I don't even get the pronouns one. How on earth are you supposed to write without them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Lord
Quote:
@William099 I would have agreed with you about a year ago, but now, having written in the first person, I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to read like a writer, and while that probably clouds my judgment, I can see how useful the first person is. It's limited though, because you can't tell the reader what is going on unless the protagonist knows it too.

Thanks for your opinions!

~TGRF.

Why on Earth would a broader perspective cloud your judgment?
It means I'm biased because I now know how useful writing in the first person is to the writer. That's not the point of this poll. The point is to see what the readers like to read. Hence, it might cloud my judgement.
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
Goal, write a first person story Aldin will like.
Someone pointed out to me that one of the series I'm enjoying immensely right now is first person, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss. It cheats, being told to a scribe as a fake autobiography. Still, it makes me wonder if it isn't so much that I don't like first person perspective books as that I've read so many bad ones.

~Aldin, illiterately

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction