Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:23 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post Story time with TAF

@Marro_Warlord

Whew! Alrighty! I'm six days early thanks to having no life, with the completed chronicle of my entry: "The Tale of Heroscape Fanfic #4"! It fits the word limit, clocking in at 14,001 words (be more careful next time, M_W). Don't worry--it's divided into 3 segments so you don't have to read it in one sitting.

I don't think you should need to read any particular bios or cards before reading this one, except maybe Kee-Mo-Shi's Character Bio if you're not familiar with how her mindshackling works (hint, hint!).

Anyway, here it is below: and I must say I really hope I get some good competition this time, because I think this might actually be my favorite entry yet (don't let that deter you), and I don't wanna waste it by putting it in a contest where it could win without anyone even reading it!!! ...anyway, here goes:

Spoiler Alert!

~TAF, hoping that satisfies your prompt.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Friend Rises...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Anyway, here it is below: and I must say I really hope I get some good competition this time, because I think this might actually be my favorite entry yet (don't let that deter you), and I don't wanna waste it by putting it in a contest where it could win without anyone even reading it!!!
The Friend sat in the dark corner, a brooding look upon his hidden face. A pipe would have been clamped in his mouth to complete the resemblance to Aragorn, save that he did not smoke. He now stood, entering the ring of candlelight.
The Friend removed his hood and considered the preemptive Fan. The room fell silent as the occupants sensed the coming of an epic speech. They did not have long to wait...
"My situation," began the Friend, in a voice reminiscent of online forums, "my situation is one of thought. Looking back over my recent entries in this competition, I can see a pattern. This pattern disturbs me.
"Often is the time that I have submitted what I feel sure to be the winner. Often is the time that I have been proven wrong. My wound still heals from the last bout. My loss was... unexpected. It has now been many digitized moons since I have won. Indeed, I cannot remember the last date...
"I dearly wish to win once again. And yet, doubts arise. My writing method itself has been called into question, and I can't help but notice what seems to be a decline in my written output. Should I enter? I feel pressed for time, and yet I feel too that I should realize my doubts, or put them at rest, first...
"I now have a choice: Develop, ponder, build my fiction as I have learned; or just write, write with abandonment, and trust to my knowledge to make the words what I need. Alas, I know not which is the right course. Perhaps both should be tested."
The Friend shakes his head in a manner that suites an old veteran (not because he is one, you understand, but simply because he wants you to think that ). The Friend raises his head once more.
"I have a tale in the works. It is but half completed, and written with no development, a fact which is beginning to show. I now have my doubts about it. If it comes to it though, I will consider extending the date."
The Friend turns his fathomless eyes upon the Fan who had so unwisely challenged him (not that he did, of course; it just sounded better that way).
"And you, you have much riding upon your entry. Will you win, and make history? If this is to happen, I feel I cannot let you pass without a truly epic fight. A contest, I feel, which will not spring from my current tale...
"I must ponder my situation more. Carry on, carry on..."

~TGRF, retreating to the dark corner once more.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Fan Fic Contest: Are you the best writer?

TAF - I admit that I have not read much of your work. However, what I have read is easily some of the best here (chiefly your entry about the soulborgs I judged).
My above post leads me to ask: do you have a method of operations you follow when writing? Or do you just sit down and write?
~TGRF.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:43 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
My above post leads me to ask: do you have a method of operations you follow when writing? Or do you just sit down and write?
~TGRF.
Uhhh... Usually I'll try to think of a concept and some characters before I start, but other than that I typically wing it, give it some time to sit before starting again, and repeat. A lot more time spent thinking than writing--this one took a while for me to come up with anything good.

Oh, and 3-Act structure; can't go without the 3-Act structure.

TAF, hope that helps (I actually have no idea what I'm doing)

Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:44 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

@TAF

Wow. That story made use of every single word, with an intriguing plot. While there were a few spelling/grammar issues, the story's originality and how it was told made any negatives fade away. It would be a shame for a piece of writing this good to win without any competition. (Which it has a good chance of winning) Great job, judging will be soon.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
~TGRF.
Uhhh... Usually I'll try to think of a concept and some characters before I start, but other than that I typically wing it, give it some time to sit before starting again, and repeat. A lot more time spent thinking than writing--this one took a while for me to come up with anything good.

Oh, and 3-Act structure; can't go without the 3-Act structure.

TAF, hope that helps (I actually have no idea what I'm doing)
You do if you're using the 3-act structure.
I will let you know of any developments in the area of my entry.
~TGRF, who is aware of, but does not use, the 3-act structure.
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM

I am out. I'm sorry TAF. I'm sure I could whip up some form of an entry, but it wouldn't be very good. I just don't have the thematic elements I need to drive the story, and without that, it wouldn't be much. When I do challenge you, I want it to be a contest.

What I need to write a truly great entry is drive - an excitement about how the prompt could turn out. I rarely have that drive, and this prompt, unfortunately, was in the majority. It's me, not the prompt.

~TGRF.
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Delay

I will not be submitting anything until I graduate from grad school (hopefully by the end of this month)

~Dysole, updatingly
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:31 PM

@Marro_Warlord
The deadline is up, and TAF has won by default. Once again, my deepest apologies for not providing competition. In its current state, it would not have been much of a contest anyway.
MW, you may commence with the judging - which in this case basically entails saying what you thought about TAF's entry.
~TGRF.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:25 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Well, congrats TAF.

Your entry was a great blend of mystery, space adventure, and battle. Every sentence felt well-written and flowed smoothly. The plot was never confusing, and the twists were unexpected and planned well. Great entry!

TAF, initiate the next prompt!

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:08 PM

Arrow New Prompt!

Many thanks, M_W! Now, onto the next prompt: It's pretty broad, but I hope we can get some interesting stories out of it! Let me know what you think--there's a ton of different ways to approach this one.

Quote:
For this next prompt, I want you to write two separate stories that somehow intersect at least once. They can be pretty much anything Heroscape-related, so long as there are two of them and at one point they connect. It can be at the beginning, middle, end, or connect multiple times all over the place. How does one affect the other? Show me how well you can juggle two stories! Can both hold my attention?
You're otherwise pretty free to choose what you write about, so any Heroscapey idea that comes into your head is fair game. You've got a word limit of 10,000 words for each story, although they should be around equal length. And remember, I'll pick an entry with two mediocre stories over an entry with one really strong story and one really weak one.

Current due date for due dates is 5/16 (next Saturday, I believe)

~TAF, hoping this challenge might produce some interesting and diverse entries

Old May 9th, 2015, 10:23 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
FYI

Do not expect anything from me until next month. I don't know how long grad school will timesuck me but I have no time to write anything worthwhile until it's done.

~Dysole, with too many fingers in pots already

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction