Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 1st, 2017, 05:55 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Dice Validity/Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
My only issue is with people who roll one die at a time.
Dice towers fix this annoyance. Keeps people from sniping the dice.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:55 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

My standards (1 and 3 are also our standards in online play):
  1. If you roll too few dice, roll the extra dice.
  2. I personally re-roll any die that comes to rest even a little off flat, or that lands on the floor, or that stacks on top of another die. If it's really borderline I'll ask my opponent if they want me to re-roll that die. (If you're playing someone new, it can be a good idea to let them know these standards before it comes up.)
  3. If you roll too many dice, ask your opponent if they want you to re-roll entirely with the correct number of dice. It's your opponent's choice to either let the over-roll stand, or have you re-roll. The opponent's roll (if already made) stands either way.

Last edited by dok; February 1st, 2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:08 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

My Friend and I allow eachother to reroll the dice if we either rolled too many dice, or too little. We don't just add the forgotten dice. Rerolling the dice keeps the "mystery" of the roll.
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:32 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Elite 5 View Post
My Friend and I allow eachother to reroll the dice if we either rolled too many dice, or too little. We don't just add the forgotten dice. Rerolling the dice keeps the "mystery" of the roll.
In most cases, such as playing with a fair friend, you wouldn't even need these "rules". However since this is discussing those times when there is a reason you have rules I'd say the above could be an issue. A person could purposely "forget" to roll that extra and if it was a bad roll you'd let them re-roll all of them. Still a gamble on the rolling too few but not always.

Of course in my situation if my Heroscape buddy pulls that...I ground him and send him to his room. We play by "Daddy's rules"

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:07 PM
Opps. He did it again.

We are usually pretty good at remembering, so when we do forget, its genuine. One of us forgets at least once every game.
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:12 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

If someone rolls too many and rolls all skulls do you make them re-roll or give them the correct number of skulls?
Me, I give them the skulls.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:38 PM
Opps. He did it again.

If a good roll is rolled, we let that go and just add the dice, or take out, however many need to be. Samething for shields
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:56 AM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker

When my opponent rolls too many dice I give them two options;
1) Reroll the entire roll with the correct number of dice.
2) Remove one skull for an attack roll, or one shield from the defence roll and take the result. (In other words, assume the extra die they rolled was a success, then remove the success)

I've been trying to think of a sure-fire way to judge this fairly though. I play another online game that uses dice rolls in a chat window. Because the dice are displayed left to right that makes it easy to say 'you rolled 1 too many dice, so I'm dismissing the right most die' and I find this system to be very fair. Perhaps a similar thing could be accomplished by writing the numbers 1 to 10 on the blank sides of your dice - then when you roll too many dismiss the one with the highest number. In theory this is the same as dismissing the one on the right.

I'm not saying that this is a very practical suggestion, nor one to be used in general play, but perhaps for big tournaments this would be the fairest way to deal with excessive dice rolls?

The only Heroscaper in England.*
Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:06 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I did this last night when my opponent rolls too many dice (and it works in their favor) I give them two options;
1) Reroll the entire roll with the correct number of dice.
2) Reroll the extra dice that showed what you wanted. I.E. if you roll 5 defense dice when you were supposed to roll 3, and 3 of them show shields, you take 2 of the ones with shields and re-roll.

Seems the fairest way. If they had a great roll, they will only have to be partly lucky. Note if the extra dice does not help them and they still either died when defending or missed doing any damage when attacking, just stick with what they rolled.

The only other viable option to me is the way NFL penalties are done. The person who rolled correctly gets to choose one of the two:
1) Have the person reroll the entire roll with the correct number of dice.
2) Accept what is rolled (i.e Decline the penalty)

But in cases where extra dice helps, you are almost always going to make them reroll. The only way I would do this is maybe at Gencon or other big tournament, but even then seems not in the spirit of what @Craig Van Ness would do
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:52 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For us, if we roll two many dice, we reroll them all with the following caveat. Let's say I rolled 4 dice instead of 3 and got 2 skulls. When I reroll the correct number, I cannot do better than the 2 skulls, regardless of what the dice came up. Gives us a chance to do worse, but not better, than what we previously misrolled.

It works for us and we've done it that way for years.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:05 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Lefton4ya, I do the same as you if the opponent rolls too many dice, except that it's my choice, not yours, whether you reroll all or just remove the good ones.

And I would enforce it that way, as a tournament director, if the question came to me.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

That rule (allowing the other player to force re-roll of only the "good" results) feels too punitive for me. It's the sort of ruling you'd make if you thought people were trying to game the system (roll too many and hope their opponent didn't notice) and you wanted to discourage it by creating a penalty.

Allowing opponent to choose between either accepting the result or making a full re-roll is, to me, a nice balance, because it assumes no malice on the part of your opponent. And 99.99% of the time in Heroscape, it really is an honest mistake.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's