Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: Did you find this article useful and/or informative?
Yes. 391 93.32%
No. 28 6.68%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: What's in an Order Marker?

You might want to PM rudyvalentine--he is in Naples. Seems like Buddy Lee is that way too (not sure). rv crossed the Alley to come to our last tourney here in Davie (near Ft. Lauderdale)--you are welcome any time.

Also, if you don't mind a drive in the other direction, check out Necro's Florida Frenzy in Orlando--they have a pretty active group besides the amazing tourneys.

Again, you can find most of us through Rev's link. Another option is to follow the Index in my sig and check out all my Florida threads there.

Welcome to the boards!
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Another option is to follow the Index in my sig and check out all my Florida threads there.
Shameless The INDEX plug, woohoo!
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM

ItalianHammerUS Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Hi, ItalianHammerUS! Welcome to the game and the site. You will find other players in your area of Florida by posting and checking in the "Meet Other Scapers" Section. I hope we can meet and play some day.
Thanks Rev, i am already a fan of your work. I came across some of your posts and they are very helpful.
I have to apologize for my English, still learning.
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM

ItalianHammerUS Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
You might want to PM rudyvalentine--he is in Naples. Seems like Buddy Lee is that way too (not sure). rv crossed the Alley to come to our last tourney here in Davie (near Ft. Lauderdale)--you are welcome any time.

Also, if you don't mind a drive in the other direction, check out Necro's Florida Frenzy in Orlando--they have a pretty active group besides the amazing tourneys.

Again, you can find most of us through Rev's link. Another option is to follow the Index in my sig and check out all my Florida threads there.

Welcome to the boards!
Thanks a lot. I have to say i am truly impressed by this community, great job to all of you to make a new member feel truly welcome. thanks\

I will check all those links, i hope i will be able to play against some true 'scapers soon . Look forward to it.
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianHammerUS View Post
I have to say i am truly impressed by this community, great job to all of you to make a new member feel truly welcome.
We have to top that off with a nice dab of Revrep. <smile>
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Thanks to Lonewolf's work, I'm going to go through and color code the top 16 armies from GenCon 2008.

T-9th

Eirikr (One of the guys who demolished me on day 1)
Major Q9
4x Deathreavers
Krav Maga Agents
Raelin

MattserTruckRally
5x 4th Massachusetts Line
Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM)

Kahrma
2x Deathreavers
Major Q9
3x Marro Stingers

Raelin

Brownsfan82
Major Q10
Zelrig
Nilfheim

ManTrainChooChoo
Major Q9
Airborne Elite
Krav Maga Agents
Raelin
Marro Warriors

matrixrenegade (my other day one loss- very fun and close game)
3x Knights of Weston
Thorgrim
Finn
Eldgrim

Krav Maga Agents
Isamu

scaper dude (son of Lonewolf)
4x Marro Stingers
2x Deathreavers
Raelin
Kaemon Awa

Weesel
4x 10th Regiment of Foot
Kaemon Awa
Raelin
Isamu
Otonashi

Elite 8

Hendal
7x Marro Stingers
Raelin
Marcu

Killer Cactus (I like this army because it's a texbook example of the article's principles ... or perhaps the strength of rats)
Nilfheim
Major Q10
Zetacron
3x Deathreavers

MechaFrog
2x Minions of Utgar
2x Marro Stingers

Krav Maga Agents
2x Deathreavers

gamjuven
4x Marro Stingers
Raelin
Cyprien
Sonya

Semifinalists

Southwest Ninja (3rd)
Major Q9
2x 4th Massachusetts Line
Krav Maga Agents
Raelin
Marcu

fallen soldier (4th)
6x Marro Stingers
1x Arrow Gruts
Krug

Runner-Up

Lonewolf (Almost the exact same thing as spider's TTO III army)
4x Marro Stingers
2x Deathreavers
Raelin
Kaemon Awa

Winner

spider_poison (very similar to what Lonewolf played at GC 2007 for 3rd place)
4x Gladiatrons
2x Blastatrons
Raelin

So, given the success of these two armies over the last year you can probably surmise that these are two very strong armies. I'd also note that they are very strong players, and for all of my study of army construction, I really think that who is behind the army is more important than what they are playing. Playing "good" units will put you into position to win, but you still have to play the games out.

Also, it seems like defense still wins championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; September 16th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I don't know how complete or exact you want the initial post to be, but there are a number of discrepancies between the Examples listed in the description of each type and the comprehensive list at the bottom. In an effort to be helpful I made a list of all the mismatches. Fix or ignore at your leisure.

The list below contains all the units that either appear in the Examples in the description of that type or appear in that type in the comprehensive listing, but do not appear in both.

Bread and Butter
10th Regiment of Foot
Sacred Band (also appears as Defender)
Kato Katsuro
Ulginesh
Marro Hive (also appears as Cheerleader)
Red Skull

Cheerleaders
Empress Kiova
Master Win Chiu Woo
Parmenio
Spartacus
Warden 816
Also, the description calls them "Children/Cheerleaders" and the listing calls them "Cheerleaders".

Defenders
Krug (also appears as Shark and Menacer)
Crixus
Deathwalker 7000 (also appears as Shark and Menacer)
Major X17 (also appears as Niche)
Marrden Nagrubs
Sir Hawthorne (also appears as Menacer)
Tarn Viking Warriors (also appears as Niche)
Sacred Band (also appears as Bread and Butter)
Also, the description calls them "Defenders/Meatshields" and the listing calls them "Defenders".

Sharks
Grok Riders
4th Massachusetts Line (also appears as Bread and Butter)
Deathwalker 7000 (also appears as Defender and Menacer)
Deathwalker 8000 (also appears as Menacer and Cleanup)
Deathwalker 9000 (also appears as Menacer and Cleanup)
Wo-Sa-Ga
Venoc Warlord (also listed as Cheerleader)
Krug (also listed as Defender and Menacer)
Anubian Wolves
Roman Archers
Shaolin Monks

Menacers
Deathwalker 7000 (also appears as Defender and Shark)
Deathwalker 8000 (also appears as Shark and Cleanup)
Deathwalker 9000 (also appears as Shark and Cleanup)
Sir Hawthorne (also appears as Defender)
Sir Denrick (also appears as Defender)
Elite Onyx Vipers
Microcorp Agents
Shades of Bleakewoode (also appears as Niche)

Cleanup
Iskra Esenwein (also appears as Shark)
Arkmer
Jorhdawn
Agent Carr (also appears as Niche)
Deathwalker 8000 (also appears as Shark and Menacer)
Deathwalker 9000 (also appears as Shark and Menacer)
Dund (also appears as Niche)
Kee-Mo-Shi (also appears as Niche)
Sgt. Drake Alexander-ROTV (also appears as Niche)
Sudema (also appears as Niche)
Also, the description calls them "Cleanup Units" and the listing calls them "Cleanup". I recommend simply "Cleanup" as the previous descriptions do not have "Unit".

Niche
Kee-Mo-Shi (also appears as Cleanup)
Major X17 (also appears as Defender)
Sudema (also appears as Cleanup)
Sgt. Drake Alexander-ROTV (also appears as Cleanup)
Agent Carr (also appears as Cleanup)
Dund (also appears as Cleanup)
Shades of Bleakewoode (also appears as Menacers)
Tarn Viking Warriors (also appears as Defender)
Otonashi
Emiroon
James Murphy
Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan
Kelda the Kyrie Warrior
Retiarius
Saylind the Kyrie Warrior
Shiori
Also, the description calls them "Niche Units" and the listing calls them "Niche". I recommend simply "Niche" as most of the previous descriptions do not have "Unit".

not listed
Chardris
Gurei-Oni
Zelrig
Agent Skahen
all Marvel except Red Skull
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I should probably revert everything back to what I call them in the main article. That list at the bottom was something I made when I was asked to do it, and I may have gone a bit overboard with inclusion. To think that Deathwalker 7000 or Major X17 can reliably perform the same function in an army as Deathreavers or Sentinels, or that Sgt. Drake RotV or Kee-Mo-Shi can fulfill the same role as well as Major Q10 or Kaemon Awa might set people up for disappointment.

There are some figures which naturally should belong to different categories in my mind, such as Krug. When he has no wound markers on him, he is an altogether different beast compared to Krug with 7 wounds on him. Venoc Warlord on the other hand plays very differently depending on what's in the army. If you have Venoc Vipers, he's more of a cheerleader, sitting in your starting zone adding movement and a slight frenzy chance. If he's in an army with Armoc Vipers, he's a Shark right there with them. If all of your squads are dead, he's a cleanup figure.

Thanks for calling this to my attention, Scytale. I'll fix it up a bit now. One lesson to take from the series of order marker articles is that the categories themselves are flexible. Even Raelin or Marcus can become a cleanup figure if your opponent were to kill everything else first.

As I look at it more, I guess it is a bit confusing. Many wave 8 stuff was listed at the top, but not on the bottom, and many other stuff is on the bottom, but not the top. In general, if something is listed a certain way on the top, it is a better example of the principle.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; September 23rd, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I actually like Marcus because he is so effective as a cheerleader--and then becomes a very good beat stick/cleanup unit as well. I'm glad that you emphasize the flexibility of the units, Jexik. Still think this is one of the smartest pieces here at Scapers.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Killer Cactus (I like this army because it's a texbook example of the article's principles ... or perhaps the strength of rats)
Nilfheim
Major Q10
Zetacron
3x Deathreavers
Glad I could provide a solid example . Actually, that army reminds me a lot of your Nilf, Cyprien, Marro Warriors, Rats army you won a tournament with, which I'm sure is another prime example of the principles of this article.

I can attest that the army played exactly as you would think it should after you read this article. The reavers played Defender well, and Nilfheim menaced as best he could, jumping around the map, making use of his versatility. Q10 and Zetacron filled niches for my army as cleanup and assassin, respectively, though Zeta did some cleanup duty as well.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Nilfheim
Major Q10
Zetacron
3x Deathreavers
Glad I could provide a solid example . Actually, that army reminds me a lot of your Nilf, Cyprien, Marro Warriors, Rats army you won a tournament with, which I'm sure is another prime example of the principles of this article.
Actually I only went 4-1 and took 4th with that Nilf/Cyprien army, but it was definitely one of my better outings. The time I won a tournament, I played 4x Stingers, Nilfheim, 2x Deathreavers, and Isamu. As painfully good as Deathreavers are, they definitely make Unique units much more playable in tournaments.

Quote:
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I've got the winning for the Louisville NHSD if you want. Onion Knight went 5-0 with it:

Nilfheim
4x Stingers
RotV Raelin
Guilty McCreech

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles