Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 5th, 2022, 09:51 AM

ShadowDragon289 is surprisingly tart
Semi-Competitive Kyrie Army

Greetings! I have been pondering this question for a while...and I simply cannot find an answer.
Is a mostly Kyrie army actually competitive? For example, for a point limit of 600-620 points these are some lists I have come up with:

Atlaga 90
Raelin 170
x2 Minions 390
x1 Protectors 500
Krav Maga agents 600

Atlaga 90
x2 Minions/Sentinels 310
x2 Protectors 530
Marro Warriors 580

I feel like both of these lists will absolutely destroy any hero-centered army...however, both of these lists seem like they would struggle against squads (I'm thinking they would struggle against a valiant army or a soldier army especially). So is a Kyrie army actually viable? If it is, what would that list look like?
Old April 5th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Semi-Competitive Kyrie Army

Hi!

It depends on how exactly you define 'competitive'. If you mean going toe-to-toe with the best armies possible, then probably not. Any of the Kyrie squads are going to struggle against A / A- level armies, as those squads just have better point-to-stat ratios. But if you mean giving you a reasonable shot at winning a casual game against some figures that aren't in the A / A- range, then definitely.

One thing to note is that there really aren't any hero-centered armies when considering the 5-10 strongest possible armies, with the exception of Q9, and he's usually paired with Raelin & Rats, which make it difficult for any of your Kyrie to get close enough to hurt him.

If you want to maximize the value of any of the Kyrie squads, I would advise not mixing them together (especially 1x, like your 1x Protectors in the first army). For example, an army like this is going to be way stronger on average:
Raelin
Sentinels x3
Marro Warriors / Krav
460 / 510 points

Than if you instead went Sentinels x2, Protectors x1. Anytime you run 1x of a common squad, it's just very easy to neutralize it by killing just a single member of the squad, and that makes your order marker placement very difficult and you tend to under-realize the true value of the squad.

On a related side note, avoid Einar Imperium. They're just ridiculously over-points and honestly not worth comparing to the other Kyrie squads when thinking about competitive armies.

On a somewhat less related note, if you're interesting in trying to make more figures playable against more of the stronger armies, I suggest you look into Delta pricing. Delta pricing is an alternative cost system for each card in an attempt to balance out their strength and make more units viable (for example, the points for Raelin & Q9 go up while the points for Einar Imperium go down). If you're interested in that, you can read more about it here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=59583
Old April 5th, 2022, 02:17 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Adding Emperor Andask to the mix helps with some of your melee Kyrie as well. I would have liked to see a Kyrie bond or cheaper Delta on some of the figures. Tyrian is fun to fling out there, but dies too quickly for his cost.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 5th, 2022, 07:11 PM

ShadowDragon289 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
Hi!

It depends on how exactly you define 'competitive'. If you mean going toe-to-toe with the best armies possible, then probably not. Any of the Kyrie squads are going to struggle against A / A- level armies, as those squads just have better point-to-stat ratios. But if you mean giving you a reasonable shot at winning a casual game against some figures that aren't in the A / A- range, then definitely.

One thing to note is that there really aren't any hero-centered armies when considering the 5-10 strongest possible armies, with the exception of Q9, and he's usually paired with Raelin & Rats, which make it difficult for any of your Kyrie to get close enough to hurt him.

If you want to maximize the value of any of the Kyrie squads, I would advise not mixing them together (especially 1x, like your 1x Protectors in the first army). For example, an army like this is going to be way stronger on average:
Raelin
Sentinels x3
Marro Warriors / Krav
460 / 510 points

Than if you instead went Sentinels x2, Protectors x1. Anytime you run 1x of a common squad, it's just very easy to neutralize it by killing just a single member of the squad, and that makes your order marker placement very difficult and you tend to under-realize the true value of the squad.

On a related side note, avoid Einar Imperium. They're just ridiculously over-points and honestly not worth comparing to the other Kyrie squads when thinking about competitive armies.

On a somewhat less related note, if you're interesting in trying to make more figures playable against more of the stronger armies, I suggest you look into Delta pricing. Delta pricing is an alternative cost system for each card in an attempt to balance out their strength and make more units viable (for example, the points for Raelin & Q9 go up while the points for Einar Imperium go down). If you're interested in that, you can read more about it here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=59583

I've been playing Heroscape for many years now, and I always dream up new lists that are at least able to hold their own against other B+ lists. However, I'm always a sucker for themed armies and trying to make them as powerful as possible. I normally don't run common units with only 1 unit, however, I felt like the Protectors could be an exception.
Hmmm, that's some good points. Thank you!
Yeah...the Einar imperium really are horrible at 140 points haha
Old April 6th, 2022, 02:41 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Kyrie are much stronger in the Delta format, not because their points have gone down (except Einar Imperium are down to 110) but because the A tier units are all more expensive. I use delta pricing exclusively for home games and it allows all my units to see the battlefield.
Old April 7th, 2022, 05:13 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Overall Kyrie squads possess two highly undesirable traits for most Commons: they're slow and they're expensive. This makes them difficult to use against competitive armies, especially when you want a Kyrie-themed army where you're not using other units to make up for those weaknesses.

If nothing else, the Minions of Utgar remain quite good simply because of their absurdly strong Attack and Defense stats. This makes them the easiest to work with to me. If the Imperium and Protectors were similar instead of 3/3's perhaps they would not be so niche.

~TAF,

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion