Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old February 1st, 2018, 09:42 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post Sss!

Sheesh, I'm finally done! And I'm glad to have this off my chest--this entry was much more troublesome than I'd ever expected going in (maybe I should've just submitted my Make Me Cry entry again again, because that one fits Family even more than this one does, but alas, the word limit).

Anyhow, it is finished and surprisingly not 7999 words, just 7478. It was never intended to be a Family entry, but it technically fits the bill and is actually about two.

All you need to know going in is that this takes place early in the war (back when it was Jandar/Ullar vs. Utgar/Einar/Vydar) and that it is very dialogue-heavy.

Spoiler Alert!

And there you have it. But the real question is are there going to be any other last-minute entries??

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old February 1st, 2018, 09:45 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Fan Fic Contest - Deadline: February 1st; Word Limit: 8K

Last call for final entries. I don't believe we have promises from anyone else, but I could be wrong. Barring cries for extensions, judging will take place likely sometime tomorrow.

~TGRF.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:29 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Results are in.

I've taken to judging stories on a point basis, taking into account several areas which I look for in a good entry, and awarding points based on how good I think they did in each area. I'll briefly go through each area and give you my thoughts. Be prepared for brutal honesty.

Note that the entry with the most points does not automatically win. In the end, it comes down to which entry was the best, and which I enjoyed most.

Grammar
Spoiler Alert!

Writing Quality
Spoiler Alert!

Bonus Points
Spoiler Alert!

Prompt Fit
Spoiler Alert!

Story
Spoiler Alert!

In the end it comes down to which I think was written better, and which I enjoyed most. I think both stories were written equally well. TAF's had a bit more character to it than EL's, which I like, but EL did have the grammar, which helped with smooth reading. I had to stop multiple times in TAF's entry to reread something.

I enjoyed TAF's entry more, largely because of the story. While I can't fault EL's entry because I know it's part of a larger story, I also have to judge it as is, given that I'm judging the entry, and not the whole thing.

So for those reasons, and after much lengthy monologuing, I proclaim TheAverageFan as the winner!

~TGRF.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:56 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Exclamation Re: Fan Fic Contest - Deadline: February 1st; Word Limit: 8K

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Prompt Fit TAF: 0/3. EL: 0/3.

That being said, neither entry dealt with family as a central theme.
If you read my Make Me Cry entry from Dysole's Prompt, I'll give you a +Rep. You'll get your family thirst quenched, I assure you.

Anyhow. Thank you for the win, TGRF. Onto the Prompt: let's go back to basics.

Quote:
One of the things I did enjoy about writing in my last entry was going back to a time when the Battle For All Time was less black-and-white. We've heard many stories about the Alliance fighting Utgar, but really in Heroscape anything goes. So what would happen if armies from Jandar and Ullar clashed, or Utgar and Vydar? What about a 3-way battle between Einar, Aquilla, and Valkrill? That is the prompt.

Write a Story about a battle (or a story taking place during a battle) between 2 or more Generals (or specific units) who might not typically battle each other. Alternatively you could write a story about 2 Generals/Units teaming up who wouldn't usually do so.

This can either be during the early stages of the war when it was more of a free-for-all, or there might be some other reason that the armies are battling/uniting, like a betrayal, common enemy, or some mysterious force twisting allegiances. After all, why does Ne-Gok-Sa keep teaming up with Romans in all my games? Unconventional is the name of the game with this premise.

Word Limit is 15000.
There you have it. You have until the whenever to submit an entry.

~TAF

Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:16 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Shame

My idea storywise would've made family a very central theme had I actually had time to write it. No idea what I'll come up with for this one.

~Dysole, with no clue if she'll be able to enter anything anyways
Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Prompt Fit TAF: 0/3. EL: 0/3.

That being said, neither entry dealt with family as a central theme.
If you read my Make Me Cry entry from Dysole's Prompt, I'll give you a +Rep. You'll get your family thirst quenched, I assure you.

Anyhow. Thank you for the win, TGRF. Onto the Prompt: let's go back to basics.

Quote:
One of the things I did enjoy about writing in my last entry was going back to a time when the Battle For All Time was less black-and-white. We've heard many stories about the Alliance fighting Utgar, but really in Heroscape anything goes. So what would happen if armies from Jandar and Ullar clashed, or Utgar and Vydar? What about a 3-way battle between Einar, Aquilla, and Valkrill? That is the prompt.

Write a Story about a battle (or a story taking place during a battle) between 2 or more Generals (or specific units) who might not typically battle each other. Alternatively you could write a story about 2 Generals/Units teaming up who wouldn't usually do so.

This can either be during the early stages of the war when it was more of a free-for-all, or there might be some other reason that the armies are battling/uniting, like a betrayal, common enemy, or some mysterious force twisting allegiances. After all, why does Ne-Gok-Sa keep teaming up with Romans in all my games? Unconventional is the name of the game with this premise.

Word Limit is 15000.
There you have it. You have until the whenever to submit an entry.

~TAF
I did not read your tale from Dysole's prompt, though I might check it out. I'll still take that +rep though, if it's on the table.

I have a feeling that some of my percolating ideas from TLFF could come in handy with this prompt... new units and such...

~TGRF.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend
I did not read your tale from Dysole's prompt, though I might check it out. I'll still take that +rep though, if it's on the table.
A brief summary of your thoughts on the piece to prove that you actually read it and the Rep's yours

~TAF, poker-faced

~~TAF, hoping for maximum number of entries for maximum various interpretations of the Prompt

Old February 7th, 2018, 02:29 AM

Re: Fan Fic Contest - Deadline literally until "the whenever

I suppose the Deadline can be March 5th, a little less than a month from now. Extensions are always an option, and I prefer a faster pace between prompts.

~TAF, awaiting

Old February 9th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I suppose the Deadline can be March 5th, a little less than a month from now. Extensions are always an option, and I prefer a faster pace between prompts.

~TAF, awaiting
Is the tale required to be set on Valhalla? If I have some HS units present, can I fill in the rest with units of my own invention as long as they normally wouldn't team up together?

~TGRF.
Old February 9th, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan

~TAF, awaiting
Is the tale required to be set on Valhalla? If I have some HS units present, can I fill in the rest with units of my own invention as long as they normally wouldn't team up together?

~TGRF.
Sure, no Valhalla required, no official figures/generals required. But you'll be at an inherent disadvantage against other entries using more iconic canon Heroscape units/factions on Valhalla. So if you think your writing skills will be enough to pick up the slack...

If nothing else sticking to preexisting factions should help. Marro and Vipers don't need Valhalla for them pairing up to be unusual, for example.

~TAF, still holding +rep hostage

Old February 10th, 2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan

~TAF, awaiting

~TGRF.
Sure, no Valhalla required, no official figures/generals required. But you'll be at an inherent disadvantage against other entries using more iconic canon Heroscape units/factions on Valhalla. So if you think your writing skills will be enough to pick up the slack...

If nothing else sticking to preexisting factions should help. Marro and Vipers don't need Valhalla for them pairing up to be unusual, for example.

~TAF, still holding +rep hostage
One more question: if the tale is backstory for a figure without one (say, one of the DnD HS figures), and it turns out that in the backstory the figure used to be on the other side, will that work if they team up with the side you would currently expect them on? (So for example if I revealed how Brandis Skyhunter used to work for the Drow, but the story had him team up with Sharwin?)

... Or am I really stretching things too far here?

~TGRF.
Old February 10th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
One more question: if the tale is backstory for a figure without one (say, one of the DnD HS figures), and it turns out that in the backstory the figure used to be on the other side, will that work if they team up with the side you would currently expect them on? (So for example if I revealed how Brandis Skyhunter used to work for the Drow, but the story had him team up with Sharwin?)

... Or am I really stretching things too far here?

~TGRF.
That could fit the bill, but again it'd be at a disadvantage against a more obvious entry. So it would work, but you'd have to really make it work.

~TAF

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction