Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 31st, 2021, 07:50 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Schismatic's Customs - NEW PACK -10/29- Entities of Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Khatesh is pretty powerful! That is why with channeling, she is limited to 1 attack per round. I will investigate that change to make it more clear. Though she can still attempt a banish on a move only turn. I feel she pretty much has to have that limitation, along with less range, since the 4x3 out damages Q9 and Q9 sets the bar for top level ranged multi attack offense. Changes could be made here to give her more consistency if alone, but she no doubt packs a punch even still.
Thematically, the power name "CHANNELING" doesn't hit the mark for me. I think its meant to imply that the attack needs to 'recharge' or that it takes a long time to cast. I think a more specific name could help. Mechanically, the wording...

CHANNELING
After moving and before attacking with Sul Khatesh, you may reveal the 'X' Order Marker on this Army Card. Sul Khatesh may only attack on a turn that the 'X' Order Marker was revealed on this Army Card.

Another idea that I just had (that slightly overhauls the card), would to be remove CHANNELING entirely, tone down her base attack (3?), and include a reveal the 'X' order marker clause into ARCANE ARROWS SPECIAL ATTACK. This shortens the card text considerably by removing a power, addresses the concern about her consistency when alone, and still checks her damage output.

Overall, I think its a really cool design!
Thanks for checking out the design and giving some input!

Channeling was the better name I could find for the theme. Perhaps there is a better name.

I like the wording change on channeling and the alternate idea to remove it is interesting. I will have to play with that overtime in playtesting.

Here's what it looks like with the Channeling fix in X-2 which spaces wording out better than what I normally use, MSE.

Spoiler Alert!

I do still like her having a strong normal attack, thematically... but yea, compared with the 4 attacks of 3, it's still even a bit dwarfed..
I felt a similar conundrum with Grabermunds Special vs his Normal.
The notable difference here with Sul is the 1 in range.

Have since updated merging the x reveal to the SA itself

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 18th, 2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old November 5th, 2021, 03:33 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Schismatic's Customs - NEW PACK -10/29- Entities of Land

Introducing........................................................... ................................

Aquilla's Storm

GUARDIAN GRAILT-

Character Bio: Nothing here yet.

HARBINGERS OF AQUILLA-

Mentionable Updates

Priestess Aculanda

Spoiler Alert!

Honorable Mentions

Made some significant edits to a few older customs on the main page I wasn't content with. 2 Lizardfolk and a Ghast Lord. My fav design of the 3 is Kirvin!

Kirvin The Wily-
Spoiler Alert!

Krixath-
Spoiler Alert!

Dregog The Ghast Lord-
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 19th, 2021 at 02:29 AM.
Old November 5th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Schismatic's Customs- *new* AQUILLA'S STORM- 11/5

Great sculpts and a nice sizable faction for Aquilla's kyrie.

Guardian Grailt: An interesting mechanic with what I assume is Grailt using her shield to cover others at the potential cost to herself. The fact that it's optional to use makes it so that she doesn't have to avoid your own low-defense units like Vipers or risk her taking easy wounds.

The anti-Raelin clause, while understandable, could have some wording problems. What constitutes a Defensive Aura power? Is it just Raelin's or does it also affect Extended Defensive Aura (SotM Raelin) or Defensive Aura 1 (Thorgrim). Or is anything that increases defense of others considered a Defensive Aura (as the phrasing of "another figure's" might imply)? And of course Raelin's aura does not affect herself, meaning that she would still be a prime choice for Shield of Jalgard.

Harbingers of Aquilla: Shockwave is an extremely cool power. Having to roll for the auto-wound against Heroes makes sense as protection for Deathwalkers and other high-defense units. I'd be interested to hear how they play: 4/4's make them more durable than the lesser Kyrie Squads (who always failed to live up to the 4/6 equivalent Minions or the 3/8 equivalent Sentinels), but they are a 2-man squad so that might not be good enough.

Aculanda: Cyclonic Gust is now a more potent and thematic power (even stays in line with your Aquilla Kyrie theme of affecting nearby units). Unless it's intended that they don't you may need to specify that falling damage will apply for non-flying figures.

There may be too much going on with the card though, as there's not enough text to include Flying at present. It's at Master Woo levels of text, and even the "Aquilla bulge" allowing for more space isn't sufficient here. Below is some cleanup you might be able to do to make room:

Spoiler Alert!

Anyways, well done on these. I like the Harbingers a lot

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 5th, 2021, 10:10 PM

@TheAverageFan
Thanks for the lesson in text management
In this case, every little bit helps and reducing it even slightly gives me hope that it won't be so bad. Lately I've been trying to find a good way to professionalize my cards text space wise, but there hasn't been a set solution. X-2 Card Creator is the best tool I have for seeing text well managed.

With your mentioned changes it actually looks alright, sitting at 27 lines of text (excluding ability titles) and 1 line being from 1 extra word in flying (somewhat common).
Looking through some of the other cards in the game with a gross amount of text, 25-26 isn't uncommon. We even see in a few cases a whopping 28 (Master Lao Xin, Axentia and Marcu) And the highest amount of text goes to Iskra and Cyprien at 30 and 31 lines. Master Woo seems to suffer from a lack of proper text size and spatial management.
So with that, I'm not as worried about it. Just a matter of spacing out to look cleaner. The other 3-ability Kyries do follow a 'Flying, 1 long, 1 short' text format.

X-2 Format with recommended changes, fall damage inclusion and land space restriction. -27 lines
Spoiler Alert!
MSE Format -29 lines
Spoiler Alert!

There are a select few of your recommended changes I'm not entirely sure on yet. In Cyclonic Gust, "up to" was taken from Granite guardians "Gain High Ground" and Hoplitrons "Shield Push", more similarly.

The majority of the wording for Moon Blessing is taken from Master Caylus "Staff of Enfeeblement, so I can't yet confirm their wording on that ability to be used here and if "For the remainder of the round" is necessary or not..
Thematically I guess it would be appropriate to insert the non-flying fall damage.
A potential issue Shiftrex mentioned with it being SoV intended would be its capability to lava dunk. An "Only land space" bit could somehow work. With the fall damage add too though, it will be text heavy again. Hoplitron doesn't restrict lava dunk so I'm not sure.

Here is an alt version of Guardian Grailt I will add, removing the limitation.
Spoiler Alert!

Since he is a home custom, I don't mind the wording discrepancy.
Defensive Aura's is meant to deny only Thorgrim and both Raelins since it is distinctly "Aura", but I guess it can't be rule clarified.
So I only frown upon anyone who dare use him by Raelins side ):<

I played with 5 defense when initially working on the Harbingers, but when I received the figures, they were noticeably smaller than the hulking Jandar and Ullar Kyrie and lacked a shield. It wouldn't be too far out to improve this and bump the points a bit with more testing information. What they lack in defense, they slightly make up for with 5 movement and flying. And Shockwave helps their threat level against other squads. The 2 figure limitation was due to not having another model, but I've grown fond of them this way.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 6th, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old November 15th, 2021, 12:36 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Where did you get those Aquilla's storm minis?
Old November 15th, 2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Every figure name can be found under their card on the first page ! (:

And I bought mine from the ebayer “kingoflight”. The snowbound figure is the more affordable of the 2 Harbingers.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 15th, 2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Kingsoflight is an awesome seller. I guess Im asking - what are the names of the figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Quote:
Every figure name can be found under their card on the first page ! (:

And I bought mine from the ebayer “kingoflight”. The snowbound figure is the more affordable of the 2 Harbingers.
Old November 15th, 2021, 02:16 PM

TheBlackN Woo who?

I like the Aquilla Storm stuff! I especially like the idea of a duo squad of Kyrie.

Grailt
I like the defense ability but I think it needs some stipulations. Does this affect friendly figures or only figures you control? I also would cut the wording for the size limitation to be less wordy.

I agree with AverageFan about the defensive aura. A weird limitation. Maybe a rework of the ability is in order? A d20 omit wounds? A One Shield Defense aura ability instead? In my mind there are not too many abilities that disqualify others. If you have to make exceptions, its probably a bad ability.

Harbingers
They probably have one shield too many for such a cheap squad and punch way above their ability with SHOCKWAVE. For 65 points you get an ability that cuts through all defense? I would consider making that an AoE special attack instead. It would keep the CC without being wordy and would pull it into a fairer space.

Aculanda
This is my favorite kyrie of the bunch! Cyclone gust is so unique and useful (maybe too useful if you get it plus a ranged attack) but the first line is a little confusing. Are you 'cycloning' the figure adjacent to the figure you just attacked? Needs a wording cleanup. The Blessing of the Moon is great too. Other than that, I really have no recommended changes for this card - I have a feeling this one may need some stat balancing from playtesting but the abilities are solid.

"So wait... the robot with the big f-ing missile has the machine gun ability and the one with a belt of bullets has the explosion?!"
Not a DnDscape player or a follower of C3V/SOV
My Customs
Old November 15th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackN View Post
I like the Aquilla Storm stuff! I especially like the idea of a duo squad of Kyrie.

Grailt
I like the defense ability but I think it needs some stipulations. Does this affect friendly figures or only figures you control? I also would cut the wording for the size limitation to be less wordy.

I agree with AverageFan about the defensive aura. A weird limitation. Maybe a rework of the ability is in order? A d20 omit wounds? A One Shield Defense aura ability instead? In my mind there are not too many abilities that disqualify others. If you have to make exceptions, its probably a bad ability.

Harbingers
They probably have one shield too many for such a cheap squad and punch way above their ability with SHOCKWAVE. For 65 points you get an ability that cuts through all defense? I would consider making that an AoE special attack instead. It would keep the CC without being wordy and would pull it into a fairer space.

Aculanda
This is my favorite kyrie of the bunch! Cyclone gust is so unique and useful (maybe too useful if you get it plus a ranged attack) but the first line is a little confusing. Are you 'cycloning' the figure adjacent to the figure you just attacked? Needs a wording cleanup. The Blessing of the Moon is great too. Other than that, I really have no recommended changes for this card - I have a feeling this one may need some stat balancing from playtesting but the abilities are solid.
Thanks for checking these out and the honest feedback.

Guardian Grailt
The restriction does make it feel prototype-y, so I may remove that alt card version all together. The size limitation is both thematic and there to prevent such strong aura on larger tankier figures, notably Q9 and other soulborgs. The first "or" should be replaced with a "," though I may even limit to small and medium with more testing.

I like your thinking for other possibilities, specifically the one shield defense direction which shares qualities here, but this ability and design is where I want it, for now. I can't stop other people from abusing its inclusion. If there ever was to be another +2 defense aura, there would have to be a hefty limitation.

May be worth mentioning that GG had 4 life previous which is an option to go back on. So far I haven't had serious issues in playtesting.

Normally I am strict in custom making for designs to fit in with the rest of scape, but in this case and as I design more, I'm slightly less inclined to have to perfectly adapt a custom with everything else, especially when it involves Raelin. Though of course I want it to be the best it can with that realm of coexistence in mind.

Harbingers have been a more fun design to test, though it has been an unprecedented one to figure out. Being a 2 figure squad, they really must have some way to carry their weight. Shockwave does the trick and can be brutal when it hits back to back. It can be counterplayer by spreading units, but that wouldn't be a good argument.

What I'm thinking, now that you've brought it to my attention, is experimenting with having to roll a die for every figure, not just heroes. I think this could also help solve the wording issue I faced with the hero effect being separate.

I definitely don't think they should have lower than 4 defense though. They are already slow moving in, and really need some slight edge in survivability to maintain their presence.

Aculanda
I'm glad you like Aculanda. Cyclonic Gusts use has potential. With only her single ranged attack, I really wanted to give her something with a slight edge and felt this would be fitting with her support role.

I agree that the wording has some confusion there, but was confirmed that it should be fine this way. I originally had something like "figure that was adjacent to the targeted figure", but then it's still a touch messy and reducing wording was a priority during that phase of changes.
Yes, the Cyclonic Gust affects a figure adjacent to the figure she attacked, not the attacked figure.

I removed moon blessing from giving a defense +1 and experimented with limiting it to 3 spaces, but didn't like that change after the other.
I've playtested her quite a few times now and am not sure she needs any stat adjustments yet.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 15th, 2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old November 15th, 2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Kingsoflight is an awesome seller. I guess Im asking - what are the names of the figures?
Aasimar Male Paladin - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W2
Deva - Snowbound #15 D&D Icons Realms Angel Miniature
Movanic Deva Angel - Tyranny of Dragons #38 D&D Rare Miniature
Aasimar Female Wizard - Icons of the Realms Premium Figures W1
Old November 15th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Will be testing the following changes for possible update.

Harbingers of Aquilla - Shockwave die roll for all figures. 60 points.

Guardian Grailt - 4 Life. 100 points. And wording fix for only figures you control.*
I think 4 life does well in warding him away from unfair territory, and fits right along with Atlaga and the likes of.

Edit: Priestess Aculanda - Took some time to marinate on it, but think Cyclonic Gust actually makes sense now.
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 18th, 2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 17th, 2021, 02:34 PM

Introducing........................................................

Creatures of the Crumland Plain

DEINO-NYCHUS-

Figure Name: Deinonychus #3 - Dungeons Deep Pathfinder Battles

Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

LÖSK-

Figure Name: Leucrotta #32 - Darklands Rising Pathfinder Battles

Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

PTERALASK-

Figure Name: Pteranodon #25- Legendary Adventures Pathfinder Battles

Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

Mentionable Updates

I'm excited to announce that all my customs are now available for OHS top down format. You can find the PNG images here - https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...wt3FRmM5Q/edit

Ctrl + Alt + Y allows you to see the name of each figure. There are figures that I have yet to release on there as well as my many other customs.
Those being:
Contention for Galaxus
Silmarillion
and Rats Faction.

I hope that this should allow some people to test particular customs of mine more easily.
Keep an eye out for coming additions and updates on my Galaxus custom as well as for the Rats!

Edit: I have also just replaced all the card images with higher quality resolution ones. Realized the MSE's export was diminishing their quality, so used snipping tool instead!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; December 6th, 2021 at 02:15 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards