Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Templar has disabled reputation
Why I stopped playing Heroscape

Now try not to get mad, and just hear me out before I go into details. I love Heroscape. Heroscape is the game that got me started into miniature war gaming. I say started, because as much as I loved Heroscape, I started to drift away, and ended up getting into other games. The reasons I loved the game soon turned into reasons why I hated the game. Try and understand where I am coming from. I know lots of you might not agree, and that is fine. This is just a personal view. Some of the reasons I got out of Heroscape are of no fault to the game itself. None the less they are reasons I stopped playing.

1. Building the map. When I first got the game I loved the idea of customizing and building my own maps. I soon started to hate it. It took way to long for set up, and often times the maps seemed unbalanced. I lacked some of the older sets, so I had little in way of terrain. Other then making hills the game became and range war.

2. I was late to the game. By the time I started playing, Heroscape was canceled. I had no way to get the older sets, unless I wanted to spend double or triple the price. I was devastated when I finally had to acknowledge that there were some sets I would never get to own. When I heard it was canceled it almost ruined the game for me right then and there. I only hung on because I thought someone else would buy the rights.

3. Community. No one where I live plays the game, at least competitively. Few game stores carried Heroscape. When I would tell local gamers about how I was into Heroscape I would get blank stares, and they would just go back to playing 40k or some other miniatures game. Don’t get me wrong. The community here online is awesome. This was really my only source of a Heroscape community, which I am thankful for.

4. Storage. I still have all my Heroscape because I just can’t part with it. However it takes up more space then all my other game combined. I have 3 massive storage bins full. I couldn’t even imagine what I would do if I had all of the sets like many of you do. My wife threatens to throw it all away because it takes up so much space and I hardly play with it.

5. Skirmish based game. After I started playing the game it seemed really small. Anymore then 500 point games seemed to take forever, but 500 point games seemed small. I felt really limited with the game. I wanted to field more miniatures, but it felt like that took away from the game.

6. Cost. I thought the game was pretty expensive when I was buying on discount from House and Mouse. Cost is also what kept many of my friends from not getting into it. Not to mention the cost of the older sets that you can only get second hand on ebay or craigslist.

Once again, try not to hate on me to much. I have many reasons why I love the game, but if I wrote on that it would be preaching to the choir. I sometimes feel as if I am cheating on my first lover Heroscape, but now that I have put into words what I feel I don't feel as bad.
Was that last part a little dramatic?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion