Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 17th, 2021, 08:44 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: TheBlackN's Custom Figures

Neat collection of heroes:

Sy-Pol-Ra: I agree that Sy-Pol-Ra is actually overpriced rather than underpriced. Although he has an impressive 7 Attack, it dwindles quickly and he only gets one swing per turn. Compared to Su-Bak-Sa who gets 7 Attack at all times and has Nagrub Bonding (three extra activations and some healing of his own), plus the highly-prized Hive Supremacy which can affect massive numbers of units... SPR doesn't quite measure up.

If you want Sy-Pol-Ra to be a healing destructive menace, you could swap Marro Absorption for some form of multi-attack and make him a Hivelord for Nagrub Bonding. That'd make him a reverse-Krug / Cyprien mashup which sounds quite devastating. Two swings for 5-7 while he's relatively healthy is nothing to scoff at.

Nurthic: His d20 boost really helps the Mohicans and Sujoah (who I assume is what the first-roll clause in his power is for), while not making him overpowered with his Dwarves who don't use it (save for Mogrimm and Darrak). Similar to Ornak. I like him a lot.

Akamatusu: With multiple lives each, they're like super-Izumi Samurai at triple the cost. Vydar is a good choice of General, although Einar has been known to play both sides of historical factions before. Sweeping Counter is Niche but the potential to wipe out 2-4 squaddies in a single block is pretty awesome.
Taguchi: Thrusting Counter isn't as neat as Sweeping Counter, and out-of-turn attacks may upset some as far as being "too customy". It could be changed to an unblockable attack die the way Passing Swipes are.
Hirata: Blood Fury Special Attack is neat but it'd likely fizzle out real damn quick more often than not. Refiring SA's like DW8000 and Sir Hawthorne already have that problem as is getting 3 attack dice every single time.

Takashi: Very strong toolkit. Again out-of-turn turns might upset some, and his rerolling defense power might be too good for 120 points (though you could screw yourself over with it gunning for a counterstrike on an even block). Masterful Counterstrike has a high cool factor, potentially wasting a high-Life unit in a single turn, although Counterstrike is often most potent against squad figures. It also ignores the usual "doesn't work on other Samurai" which is odd as even the Ronin still have that clause. Is that a mistake or on purpose?

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 17th, 2021, 11:03 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Ronin: Akamatsu, Taguchi, and Hirata

Really cool concept for a Ronin faction. You could have them all have the Samurai class and everywhere in the powers use "Samurai that follows Vydar" instead of "Ronin". That's really a stylistic choice that's up to you. I'd lean towards my suggestion but giving them a dual class with the first part of RONIN HERITAGE BOND has the same effect.

THRUSTING COUNTER doesn't work. You cannot attack when it isn't your turn. You could make it a D20 roll with the same % chance to succeed as an average attack.

I think you can clean up RONIN HERITAGE BOND.

Quote:
RONIN HERITAGE BOND
For all purposes you may also count [Name] as a Samurai. [Hero's Name]'s class is Samurai as well as Ronin. After you finish a turn taking a turn with [Name] and he has inflicted, if he inflicted at least 1 wound, you may immediately take another then take a turn with any other Ronin Hero you control that has not taken a turn this round.no revealed Order Markers on it's Army Card.
I hope that's clear. Strikethrough is what I removed. Bold is what I added. Plain text is left alone. (So the complete power is everything without the strikethrough.)

Is BLOODFURY SPECIAL ATTACK supposed to be like Moriko's SABER STORM with the additional dice if it wounds. Or is it supposed to be a single attack of 3 that if it wounds you get another attack of 4?

Overall I really like these guys, I especially like how SWEEPING COUNTER tacks onto COUNTER STRIKE. It feels dishonorable.

Still haven't gotten to Takashi, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
The Ronin

The theme of them being nearly identical with very subtle differences is cool. Bloodfury special attack is my favorite. I didn't like the lengthy Ronin bonding text that also gives them the samurai class at first, but I don't judge it for it's intentive purpose. I'm just wondering if it's worth them being Samurai than only Ronin. But perhaps there's some background I'm not aware of.
They also need to be Samurai so they don't get hit by other Samurai's COUNTER STRIKE.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old November 17th, 2021, 11:29 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
They also need to be Samurai so they don't get hit by other Samurai's COUNTER STRIKE.
Wow, I never realized that little detail on the samurai cards or forgot.
Old November 18th, 2021, 12:28 AM

TheBlackN Woo who?

Awesome feedback all! Vydar I especially appreciate the wording help!

SPR
Seems like SPR needs more polish still and probably a return of the Multi-Attack. I am glad I dropped the Marro Rebirth, it has given him more possibilities.

Nurthic
Glad everyone likes Nurthic! Although I definitely don't deserve all the credit there. He is still my favorite of the bunch. I think he fits seamlessly in with the other Flagbearers.

Quote:
This way you can choose when to apply the bonus. if you roll a 20 on your first roll with the unit, the Aura is wasted.
I like this language, but it limits the River Tribe's use of the aura to a single figure. Maybe that's for the best? Hmmm.

Quote:
The axegrinders are in a delicate place when it comes to adding more bonding options. The defense aura debatably would even still be too much for them, but I have nothing to support that theory.
Wait this defense argument feels familiar . Think I like where it is but I'll definitely play with a Raelinn/Thorgrim/Northic/AxeBros combo against some Huge figures just for you Sounds! Will also be renaming the the ability like you suggested.

Quote:
Sujoah (who I assume is what the first-roll clause in his power is for)
Precisely! It gets insane odds-wise without that stipulation. Glad you caught onto the Ornak comparison - it's exactly who I drew from for the second ability.

Ronin

Quote:
You could have them all have the Samurai class and everywhere in the powers use "Samurai that follows Vydar" instead of "Ronin".
Quote:
I'm just wondering if it's worth them being Samurai than only Ronin. But perhaps there's some background I'm not aware of.
For the Ronin, I have played with just making them Samurai but wanted to denote them as Ronin. Perhaps naming them 'Ronin Akamatsu' etc would do the trick with Vydar bonding like Vydar said (how fitting).

Quote:
THRUSTING COUNTER doesn't work. You cannot attack when it isn't your turn. You could make it a D20 roll with the same % chance to succeed as an average attack.
Exactly what TAF was warning me about! Probably too 'custom-y' then. This was my least favorite ability of the 3 as well. I am thinking of changing it to some d20 roll, a free move/disengage, or a different counterstrike bonus (maybe just 1 bonus wound, doesn't feel as exciting as the other two).

Quote:
Is BLOODFURY SPECIAL ATTACK supposed to be like Moriko's SABER STORM with the additional dice if it wounds. Or is it supposed to be a single attack of 3 that if it wounds you get another attack of 4?
Neither. It is a conditional double attack. If you deal damage with the first, you get a second that has attack dice equal to 3+Wounds dealt (so a max of 6 on a perfect roll).

Quote:
Hirata: Blood Fury Special Attack is neat but it'd likely fizzle out real damn quick more often than not.
Much like their bonding, their special abilities should not be a sure thing each round. Keeps the cost down and keeps them feeling less elite than a heroic Samurai. Note that it also doesn't keep rolling like DW8K.

"So wait... the robot with the big f-ing missile has the machine gun ability and the one with a belt of bullets has the explosion?!"
Not a DnDscape player or a follower of C3V/SOV
My Customs
Old November 18th, 2021, 10:38 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII
Neither. It is a conditional double attack. If you deal damage with the first, you get a second that has attack dice equal to 3+Wounds dealt (so a max of 6 on a perfect roll).
In which case, allow me to wordsmith again

Quote:
BLOODFURY SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1, Attack 3 + Special.
Hirata starts each turn with 3 attack dice. If Hirata wounds a figure inflicts at least 1 wound with Bloodfury Special Attack, he may attack again with additional attack dice equal to the amount of wounds dealt. Hirata may attack a second time with his Bloodfury Special Attack. On the second attack, add 1 to Hirata's attack dice for each wound the first attack inflicted.
(Is this format helpful or would you prefer I just type up a new power?)

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old November 18th, 2021, 03:51 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just wanted to point out that Melee Sentinels is a redundant ability for the Necron Praetorians. Abilities that increase range only do so for figures with a range of 4+ anyway (there is no ability to increase range for figures with a range of 1).
Old November 18th, 2021, 04:24 PM

TheBlackN Woo who?

Quote:
Is this format helpful or would you prefer I just type up a new power?
You can just write new power if you prefer. I appreciate it Vydar - your Heroscape verse is superb!

Quote:
Just wanted to point out that Melee Sentinels is a redundant ability for the Necron Praetorians.
Vydar already brought this up. Its specifically for DW9K's RANGE ENHANCEMENT which doesn't have any of those stipulations. Like I said - maybe I'll just run an altered DW9K card. Maybe something for our Alter project?

"So wait... the robot with the big f-ing missile has the machine gun ability and the one with a belt of bullets has the explosion?!"
Not a DnDscape player or a follower of C3V/SOV
My Customs
Old November 18th, 2021, 05:09 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Perhaps. Although I don't know that a card alter is necessary - it could be just a universal rule that range modifications only apply to figures with range 4+. I.e., it's in the base rules and clarifies/overrules the special ability.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards