Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Old February 6th, 2023, 05:25 AM

Mrcellophane1978 is surprisingly tart
New heroscape models - Mrcellophane1978

I loved the scans submitted by Lyte3d, but when printing found that there was a lack of detail compared to original models - of course due to scanning.

I thought there might be a way of sharpening these up a bit, and found I was able to manually sharpen the models significantly in blender, without taking too much time.

https://www.thingiverse.com/mrcellophane1978/designs

My intention is to do this for as many models as possible, or at least the humanoids/robots/dragons. The first batch is on thingiverse and I will be adding more over time until I finish or get bored.

I am VERY much an amateur and have only been using blender for a few days, so the results may not be as good as other remodels.

If you have any requests for what you want me to try and sharpen please post - it is not that hard (but time consuming) and any feedback on print errors please put them here and I will address them.

Credit to Lyte3d for the original scans. I have also edited/remixed other uploads if someone had already made improvements, which are credited in the thingiverse links. SandwichSteve made half a dozen great ones I have edited.

So far:

- 4th Massachusetts (updated)
- 10th Regiment (updated)
- Air elemental
- Alastair MacDirk (updated)
- Arkmer
- Arrow Gruts
- Ashigaru Harquebus
- Atlaga the Kyrie Warrior
- Darrak Ambershard
- Gorillinators
- Nakita Agents
- Sir Denrick
- Greenscale warriors
- Swog Rider
- Warden 816
- Knights of Weston
- Isamu (fixed)
- Ashigaru Yari (updated)
- Brandis Skyhunter (This was the hardest by far - feedback please)
- Deadeye Dan
- Crixus (I really like this one for some reason)
- Cyprien Esenwein
- Axegrinders of the burning forge (2 from gatormustang, 2 Lyte3d).
- Sonya Esenwein

Will update here as I add more.

Last edited by Mrcellophane1978; March 10th, 2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old February 6th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: New heroscape models - Mrcellophane1978

I must say, these look really good! Alastair, Darrak, and the 10th Regiment look especially impressive. Painting is a lot easier on sharper models (knowing where one colour starts and stops), so more complicated models like the 10th Regiment really benefit from this.

Now I am inspired to try out Blender myself; you make it sound and look easy!
Old February 6th, 2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
I must say, these look really good! Alastair, Darrak, and the 10th Regiment look especially impressive. Painting is a lot easier on sharper models (knowing where one colour starts and stops), so more complicated models like the 10th Regiment really benefit from this.

Now I am inspired to try out Blender myself; you make it sound and look easy!
Thanks. It is actually really easy once you work out how to navigate the camera. I can write out how to do it if you want. It takes around 10-20 minutes per unit. I am getting faster at it now.

Last edited by Mrcellophane1978; February 11th, 2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old February 6th, 2023, 12:01 PM

To do this you open blender which is free download.
- Delete the default cube that is there
- File import stl
- Zoom with mouse wheel, and navigate by using the hand icon in top right and the clicking and dragging the red/green/blue image, this allows you to move about your model.
- Click the drop down box that says object mode, change it to sculpt mode.
- The tools are on the left, the main ones I have been using are:

Draw Sharp - this is the main tool, it draws a crease - you follow the creases already in the model and it sharpens them up, this does 90% of the job. You adjust the size and power of the effect using radius "the size of the point" and strength "the strength of the effect". The default 50/.5 works really well for clothing creases and muscles. Smaller lines, like lines for fingers need smaller numbers, like radius 20 or 15, and strength of 0.2 - just experiment. The radius changes the size of the circle, which persists accross other tools.

Inflate and/or fill - fills in holes and inflate can be used to make lips
Clay strips - good for eyes
Smooth - smooths out lumps
Flatten - similar to smooth but... flatter
Grab & Elastic deform - both of these allow the model to be reshaped, e.g. with a bent sword grab shifts the whole piece of the model, whereas elastic deform stretches it.

in most cases the outline of the shapes you need are there in the scanned model but faint, sharpening them up takes it back closer to the original. There seems to be a simple way to reconstruct faces around the eyes, note and cheeks quite easily. the mouth is hard. You can use the "clay strips" tool on 15/.25 to make eyes, and the inflate tool on 15/.25 or 20/.25 to shape lips. It is worth referring to a real model as some of the details are a little hidden that can be easily sharpened up.

When done make sure you Save the file as a blender file. Then export to STL.

That's it! to be clear I have NO idea what I'm doing but the effect if you take your time seems to be really good.

Last edited by Mrcellophane1978; February 11th, 2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old February 9th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for sharing this information (although, I was wondering if it could be as easy as a "sharpen" bar you could slide like in Photoshop). I'll take a look!

The newly-added models are also looking really nice.
Old February 9th, 2023, 10:54 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcellophane1978 View Post
I loved the scans submitted by Lyte3d, but when printing found that there was a lack of detail compared to original models - of course due to scanning.

I thought there might be a way of sharpening these up a bit, and found I was able to manually sharpen the models significantly in blender, without taking too much time.

My intention is to do this for as many models as possible, or at least the humanoids/robots/dragons. The first batch is on thingiverse and I will be adding more over time until I finish or get bored.

I am VERY much an amateur and have only been using blender for a few days, so the results may not be as good as other remodels.

If you have any requests for what you want me to try and sharpen please post - it is pretty easy, and any feedback on print errors please put them here and I will address them. All credit to Lyte3d for the original scans.

edit: so far:

- 4th Massachusetts
- 10th Regiment
- Air elemental
- Alastair MacDirk
- Arkmer
- Arrow Gruts
- Ashigaru Harquebus
- Darrak Ambershard.

@Mrcellophane1978 these look great. As someone that has recently gotten a new 3D resin printer this is perfect timing since I am just starting out in the 3D print world. I hope you do not get bored and are able to get all of the figures scanned by @scapedood sharpened. As for requests I was just getting ready to print out the Heroes of Bleakewoode: Kelda the Kyrie Warrior, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Taelord the Kyrie Warrior, Venoc Warlord, and Tornak. Thanks for the effort that you are putting in to this.
Old February 11th, 2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
Thanks for sharing this information (although, I was wondering if it could be as easy as a "sharpen" bar you could slide like in Photoshop). I'll take a look!

The newly-added models are also looking really nice.

You know what, there may be! I literally know nothing about blender and have developed a method which seems to work really well as detailed above, but there might be some simple "sharpen" slider in there which I have not found. Very possible That however wouldn't help with things like straightening weapons, filling holes, or also adding in missing details, all of which need to be manual.
Old February 11th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormustang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcellophane1978 View Post

If you have any requests for what you want me to try and sharpen please post - it is pretty easy, and any feedback on print errors please put them here and I will address them. All credit to Lyte3d for the original scans.

edit: so far:

- 4th Massachusetts
- 10th Regiment
- Air elemental
- Alastair MacDirk
- Arkmer
- Arrow Gruts
- Ashigaru Harquebus
- Darrak Ambershard.

@Mrcellophane1978 these look great. As someone that has recently gotten a new 3D resin printer this is perfect timing since I am just starting out in the 3D print world. I hope you do not get bored and are able to get all of the figures scanned by @scapedood sharpened. As for requests I was just getting ready to print out the Heroes of Bleakewoode: Kelda the Kyrie Warrior, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Taelord the Kyrie Warrior, Venoc Warlord, and Tornak. Thanks for the effort that you are putting in to this.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will be away next week but will start adding some more, and when I finish Ashigaru Yari I will prioritize your requests.
Old February 13th, 2023, 09:59 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you're a VC guy, far and away my top requests would be the confrontation stuff
- Skeletons of Annelentia
- Skull Demons
- Varkaanan Darkclaws
- Varkaanan Quickblades
- Varkaanan Swiftfangs
- Bahadur
- Kon-Tar-Na

Those are all by WhiteKnight, or asclauch on thingiverse
Old February 15th, 2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
If you're a VC guy, far and away my top requests would be the confrontation stuff
- Skeletons of Annelentia
- Skull Demons
- Varkaanan Darkclaws
- Varkaanan Quickblades
- Varkaanan Swiftfangs
- Bahadur
- Kon-Tar-Na

Those are all by WhiteKnight, or asclauch on thingiverse
Ah I have not delved into the custom models. Going to take me a whole to get through the standard ones I'm afraid.
Old February 19th, 2023, 05:30 PM

Just added Brandis Skyhunter. It was very difficult, the original scan was extremely undetailed so I had to reconstruct quite a bit of it. Take a look and let me know what you think

Mine: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5865300
Original: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4341672
Old February 24th, 2023, 11:38 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

@Mrcellophane1978 I see you have the Gorillinators listed, but don't see them on your Thingiverse link. Are you planning on posting them in Thingiverse?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing