Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: Official Wizards Feedback Thread - Take 2

You guys should hold on to those collections. You'll find someone to play with eventually but you won't be able to get your collections back. There's plenty of examples on the board here of people who sold all their stuff and regret it.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:38 AM
This is genius...

The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
You guys should hold on to those collections. You'll find someone to play with eventually but you won't be able to get your collections back. There's plenty of examples on the board here of people who sold all their stuff and regret it.
And that is why I'll never sell my stuff, I mean my children might play, and where I move I might find a big gaming community.

Einar is the best general... End of argument...
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlax View Post
AAM has been on iifesupport for quite some time. Between egregious costing errors, the idiocy of making certain staple units like the T34 rare, serious rules issues this was a game that never reached its potential. I have been giving serious thought to selling my collection for some time. I have full sets of everything but the last set, but no one to play.
That's how I feel about my Lord of the Rings Combat Hex Tradeable Miniatures Game (LOTRCHTMG) collection... I am so glad to see in your signature block that plans are being made for at least another annual gathering of the faithful at GenCon. Maybe I should start saving my pennies for a trip ion August. I wish I had more time to follow the discussions on both HS'ers and SnaggleTooth.
LOTR TMG is one collection that I will never sell. GenCon is pretty much the one time a year I get to play it. Vanguish, Gvey and I have discussed reviving CinciCon since our theory that GenCon would lure some of the Chicago and Michigan players out of their lairs has not panned out.

Heroscape will likely fall in the never sell category as well. If only because I can much such awesome TMG maps with the terrain.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:30 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Kind of like: "If you build it - they will come," huh? Well it ain't happenin' so far.

Butt, I absotutely agree with you that once you sell it sell it - it's gone FOREVER!!! My problem is that the past two years were horrendous with loosing my job, selling my house, and moving twice. So now I'm into this "down-sizing" mode where stuff just has to go, in order to get to the other stuff that I want to keep. Believe me when I say that HeroScape and LotR:TMG will be the last to go, since they work perfectly together. Unfortunately, with a heart condition - "Over my dead body," may happen sooner than I expect and without warning and then Mrs. G. will be selling my stuff for pennies on the dollar at her next yard sale (i.e. Thalenk Tundra and Balrog for a quarter a piece, hahaha... as I turn over in my grave).

Meanwhile, the good news is that she has been hinting that maybe, if there's any money left after our Florida vacation at the end of the month (we promised to take the two grandsons to the Harry Potter Theme Park at Universal in Orlando) ...then maybe we can manage sending me to Indy, IN in August for my second trip to GEN-CON. Whooohooo, that would be awesome! Especially if my LotR:TMG figures can see some table time and daylight after years in storage. Thnaks Harlax for the <LINK> to SnaggleToothGames, I will deffinitely check it out as soon as I can get caught up with my daily reading assignments (i.e. the MARS thread on the Events Forum). And I hope to see you, GVey, and Vanquish again someday.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

I have recently sold one of my three Ticalla Jungle sets and 4 Flagbearers. I have 2 other Jungle sets, so not a big deal and I really haven't used the Flagbearers in years. I wanted to sell that stuff to help finance my new interest in Sergeants Miniature Game. It's kind of expensive, but I know that it will get played with the guys in my gaming group more than Scape will. No regrets. But then again, I still have a boatload of HS stuff to hold onto.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:19 AM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Quote:
. . . if there's any money left after our Florida vacation at the end of the month . . .
You could try to play some games while you are down here:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39718
or
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39678
Just an idea.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Aaaarrrgh! That's a sacrilege to sell your Flag Bearers... C'est la vie (they were over-costed anyway and not that useful - just a colorful enhancement to the battlefields).

The BGG description of that "Sergeants" game sounds pretty interesting: "This game combines elements of boardgames and miniatures, in a system that is card-driven. Cards drive the impulses that take place during each turn, and each player has a deck of cards, made up from the troops under his or her command. Each soldier's "deck" of cards reflects abilities and traits-- perhaps about how well they shoot or how slowly they move or how attracted they are to things like fresh milk, hot food, or loot. There are some Soldiers (called "Characters") included in the base game (Day of Days) which are common, but the others in DoD and all that are purchased separately have unique characteristics (which all balance out to be "equal" according to a complex math formula which is seamless to the players). So players can only get the best out of their forces after they have learned each soldier's strengths and weaknesses. "Day of Days" includes moveable mapboard tiles, hand-painted 20mm miniatures (by FAA), scenarios, cards (several decks!) and everything needed to play. Additional Soldiers give more choices and more fun."

And hopefully if the designers do it right, you will get a real sense of what it feels like to actually be a sergeant, trying to coax and/or coerce the unique charisteristics of each character on your team to meld into an effective, cohesive unit. It drives me nuts whenever someone calls their handful of HeroScape soldiers an "ARMY" when in reality, us old sergeants (and grognards) know that Sergeant Drake plus 3x Airborne Elite ( 13 figures @ 440 points ) is actually only ONE SQUAD within a platoon, within a Company, w/in a Battalion, w/in a Regiment, w/in a Brigade, w/in a Division, w/in a Corps, w/in an ARMY! I was glad to see in the photo gallery that players have added the THIRD dimension to their flat maps, but unfortunately in a way that only adds to the expense of the game and the tedium of building customized terrain models. I'm sure it's probably a great game, but I won't ever buy miniatures that I have to paint myself - I'd rather play a Borg game like Memoir'44, Battle Cry, or Battle Lore, since they don't 'need' to be painted, also have "card-driven" mechanics, and I already own them. Go for it though, IF you think your group will enjoy it. Even a lousy game that's played often is better than a great game that stays in the closet. That's why I'm sticking with HeroScape, at least for now.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Well John, I actually have gotten SMG already. I bought it a month or so ago but then had to sell some stuff to help pay for it, wives are funny that way. But I got $35, $35, $41 and $45 for the Flagbearers and $65 for the Ticalla Jungle set, so that's not bad for stuff I haven't used in a couple years.

Regarding Sergeants, it's a real fun game and the minis are pre-painted, so that's a plus for me. I was looking into Flames of War WWII miniatures game system but that's a lot of painting as you need a lot of minis for that.

You don't really need 3D terrain for this game except for the visual appeal. It's an abstract terrain system that works as is but takes some time getting used to by people used to terrain. Each map square has terrain modifiers on it to help modify shooting, sighting, moving and hiding. When you shoot, sight or take cover, you add up all the modifiers between your figure and the opponent's figure and that helps give some terrain effects.

Each soldier has their own card, plus 7 other action cards that help make up your action deck. You have your soldier cards in front of you and shuffle all their action cards together. The action cards are drawn for various reasons. You start each round by drawing a certain amount of cards to make up your hand. There is a story deck of cards also where 3 get revealed each round and each is considered a phase. The story cards will tell you which cards you can play each of the three phases from your hand. You choose from your hand a card for each of the three phases and put them face down on the border of the map, then flip them over one at at time and resolve each phase before flipping over the next phase card. Kind of like Wings of War in that manner. There's an initiative determination and the win winner takes the first turn each phase unless the cards say otherwise.

The soldier cards are each worth a certain amount of victory points. So like Heroscape, each card's stats are what determine the VP's. They have a variety of ranges, rallying numbers, sighting numbers, taking cover numbers, movement and hand to hand numbers. Some soldiers have their quirks that you have to work with and some are more heroic than others. Some have certain action cards that help you to be able to shoot, sight, hide or move more often. Other than the 4 character soldiers that come in the base set, all the other ones are totally unique and no two will be the same as they have their own serial numbers that are meaningful in the game.

There are "Orders" cards that each player will draw one from at the beginning of the game and is secret. These give you objectives for the scenario and means of gaining victory points.

There's also no dice involved with is different as well.

Anyway, it's a fun game and is squad level that is neat. It's fun to get to know each soldier and recount the battle and either brag about a certain soldier being great that game or another soldier that was pinned and you couldn't get another soldier over near him to Rally him throughout the game.

I like Memoir also, quicker and less expensive.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlax View Post
AAM has been on iifesupport for quite some time. Between egregious costing errors, the idiocy of making certain staple units like the T34 rare, serious rules issues this was a game that never reached its potential. I have been giving serious thought to selling my collection for some time. I have full sets of everything but the last set, but no one to play.
That's how I feel about my Lord of the Rings Combat Hex Tradeable Miniatures Game (LOTRCHTMG) collection... I am so glad to see in your signature block that plans are being made for at least another annual gathering of the faithful at GenCon. Maybe I should start saving my pennies for a trip ion August. I wish I had more time to follow the discussions on both HS'ers and SnaggleTooth.
We will play at Gencon for the forseeable future. While the turnout for the tournament has been less than I hoped for, the fun events have sold out three years running. Next year I might skip the tournament and run two fun events. Best part about the fun event is that we provide all the miniatures. Even if you have a limited collection you are on equal footing.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disciplined Soldier View Post
Quote:
And that is why I'll never sell my stuff, I mean my children might play, and where I move I might find a big gaming community.
Unfortunately, VA is a huge state, and it looks like you're a good three hours away, but if you're ever heading up 81, stop in Winchester right before you hit WV. There may not be a big gaming community, but my son and I are always up for Heroscape.
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
This is genius...

The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker

Heck! I was up 81 last Wednesday, and this Tuesday, oh well. Well I'm planning on moving up to NYC. But your right Va is a big state, and I don't move around enough. With the way Hasbro initially advertised it I'm surprised it didn't catch on more. I mean yeah a lot of people got into, but they're spread pretty for apart especially on the East Coast it seems. That's what you get for living in a rural area.

Einar is the best general... End of argument...

Last edited by The Disciplined Soldier; June 20th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News