Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Looking for ideas

Hi all, I need some ideas to finish my army.

Its a 500 pt. build with no restrictions. No marvel.
I have both ROTV and SOTM, and all expansions through wave 7.

My list so far:
Syvarris (100)
James Murphy (175)
Johnny Shotgun Sullivan (240)
Airborne Elite (350)

I'm trying to round out the list but don't want too many army cards.
Thanks
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Looking for ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
My list so far:
Syvarris (100)
James Murphy (175)
Airborne Elite (350)
For a defensive build, with so many points tied up in seven low-defense unique figures, I'd be inclined to go for a durable common squad to help your numbers and soak damage. If you're expecting super-heavy melee attackers like Krug, Kozuke, or the Templars, you might use the Warriors of Ashra for 100 or even all 150 of those missing points. If you want someone who can both block and fight, Anubian Wolves x2 are pretty sturdy with that 6 move and 4 defense; or on a snow map, you could take Dzu-Teh x2. Rats would be great.

For a more aggressive build, the weakness you want to fix with those 150 points is your lack of a single strong blow. You have lots of ways to generate multiple attacks of 2-3 from a long way off, but you're going to waste a lot of those skulls breaking through the shields of a high-defense hero. Carr/MWs, Drake/Theracus, Krug/Guilty, and Crixus/Izumis are all options here, as are Q10 and Cyprien to keep your cards down.

Last edited by rdhight; May 30th, 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Quote:
My list so far:
Syvarris (100)
James Murphy (175)
Airborne Elite (350)
For a defensive build, with so many points tied up in seven low-defense unique figures, I'd be inclined to go for a durable common squad to help your numbers and soak damage. If you're expecting super-heavy melee attackers like Krug, Kozuke, or the Templars, you might use the Warriors of Ashra for 100 or even all 150 of those missing points. If you want someone who can both block and fight, Anubian Wolves x2 are pretty sturdy with that 6 move and 4 defense; or on a snow map, you could take Dzu-Teh x2. Rats would be great.

For a more aggressive build, the weakness you want to fix wit those 150 points is your lack of a single strong blow. You have lots of ways to generate multiple attacks of 2-3 from a long way off, but you're going to waste a lot of those skulls breaking through the shields of a high-defense hero. Carr/MWs, Drake/Theracus, Krug/Guilty, and Crixus/Izumis are all options here, as are Q10 and Cyprien to keep your cards down.
Nice suggestions rdhight!

I'd go with x2 Anubian Wolves for the remaining 150pt., as rdhight mentioned.
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

Well, in my opinion, it's always good to have at least one melee-ist who can do some damage, such as Agent Carr, or Sgt. Drake Alexander (Either RotV or SotM), all of which have six attack against adjacent enemies, two of which (Carr and SotM Drake) can take Ranged pot-shots, and both Drakes will last until you decide to advance them to the front lines due to Thorian Speed. And with squads, when all else fails, The KMA always work well, and depending on the Map, Microcorp Agents can be insane, as well. Just a few ideas for you to chew on, though.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM

rubio Woo who?

I'd agree with the above posters. You certainly look set as far as ranged goes but if you're looking for them to do most of your killing, you'll need some kind of skirmisher or a melee squad or two to clog things up. I'd definitely suggest a few squads (probably 80 points worth) of rats, as they will stay alive for a while and can move around pretty well. It's more army cards, but it's worth it. Syvarris and the AE will allow them to scatter a ton; and both of the cowboys should to a lesser extent. Just keep em spread out so you don't get shotgunned. Alternatively you could go with Izumis, but I've never been a fan of theirs w/o Raelin and with your army it'd be too hard trying to keep them all under her umbrella.

With your 70 points left, I have no idea to be honest. There's not a ton of quality for 70 points (quality that will synergize w/ your army). You could switch out one of the two cowboys and that really opens up a lot of other options for you.

Rubio Nubio
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ok so I've decided to add Carr to my army, and drop Johnny Sullivan to add some other options, my final draft (hopefully), is looking like this:

Sylvaris (100)
Agent Carr (200)
Airborne Elite (310)
James Murphy (385)
Sholin Monks (465)
Guilty McCreech (495)

What do you guys think?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Ok so I've decided to add Carr to my army, and drop Johnny Sullivan to add some other options, my final draft (hopefully), is looking like this:

Sylvaris (100)
Agent Carr (200)
Airborne Elite (310)
James Murphy (385)
Sholin Monks (465)
Guilty McCreech (495)

What do you guys think?
Syvaris doesn't have an l in it.

You have the right idea, although you should have more squads to serve or a Jotun or Krug'll kill you.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

I would personally get rid of the monks, murphy, and the AE and instead take the KMA, RotV Realin, and the Gladiatrons x1, but that's more my preference than anything talking there. But it doesn't look too shabby, either way.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would drop the monks and get rats x2 or old Raelin instead. You have a lot of low-defense figures that need order markers to do anything good. Raelin or rats could help your defense in exchange for very few markers, which is a great bargain for your army.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

With the range you have majored in, I, too, would drop the monks and add two squads of Deathreavers. They can pin your opponent in place while your ranged guys shoot 'em.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion