Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Master set 1 vs. Master set 2 : A players perspective

I searched and found the SotM vs. RotV battle post but this is from a different angle.

I love SotM as an established player but I think it kinda lacks a few things for beginners compared to RotV.

RotV had a lot more variety as far as heroes and squads. Again as an established player ( of 4 months or so :P ), I like the multiple squads of Marros, but A new player cutting thier teeth on SotM needs a wider variety of figs rather than multiples of the same ones...

All the scenarios feature the five heroes vs. marro armies (for the most part). Again interesting scenarios from a vet's perspective but a newcomer is not going to get the experience of squad vs. squad combat that you got from RotV.

Do ya feelme (yes I listen to way too much rap music)?!!

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Squitter The Spider has disabled reputation
Re: Master set 1 vs. Master set 2 : A players perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V.
I searched and found the SotM vs. RotV battle post but this is from a different angle.

I love SotM as an established player but I think it kinda lacks a few things for beginners compared to RotV.

RotV had a lot more variety as far as heroes and squads. Again as an established player ( of 4 months or so :P ), I like the multiple squads of Marros, but A new player cutting thier teeth on SotM needs a wider variety of figs rather than multiples of the same ones...

All the scenarios feature the five heroes vs. marro armies (for the most part). Again interesting scenarios from a vet's perspective but a newcomer is not going to get the experience of squad vs. squad combat that you got from RotV.

Brandon
SotM was specifically made for marro! If they had less marro they would have to make a whole new wave of just marro!!

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart

Quote:

Brandon
Why not put this in one of those threads then?

It has been discused in those threads how RotV had the diversity, but SotM had the Commons.

I still think RotV is the better one though.

And Rap is not very good, go listen to the real music as in AC/DC or Rush

(But if you really... like Rap better fine by me)

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I'm threadjacking this into a Rap thread now...

I was in the library (yeeeessssss, I read) and I was listening to two girls laugh at one of their brothers for not liking Rap. God I hate kids.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
having just finished a game, with marro vs others (1k pt armies), I can say I'm very glad I started with ROTV, and not the Marro "master" set. I was the marro, btw, but that's beside the point.

the Marro master set makes for a great expansion, but just because it's big and they call it a master set, doesn't really make it a master set.

I felt very cheated when I opened the SotM that we got, and most of the figures rarely see action in most of the games we play.

And really... to duplicate two of the original characters is simply lazy. I don't care how it's reasoned, and what argument you can make... Raelin and Drake should have been TWO NEW CHARACTERS.

Half the terrain of the original set, lots of weak, identical figures(which are therefore much cheaper to produce), and duplicated characters, all for the same price as the original Master Set?

That, my friends, is the very definition of a rip-off.

Yeah I bought it, but I've grown to regret it. I will be sure to think twice the next time they decide to release a new "master set". If ever.

Oh and by the way "Real Music" is as subjective a term as any. I for one, would consider AC/DC utter crap, but I love Rush. So does that mean I don't like real music either? This is probably an side topic best left to die.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
I'm threadjacking this into a Rap thread now...

I was in the library (yeeeessssss, I read) and I was listening to two girls laugh at one of their brothers for not liking Rap. God I hate kids.
HEY! I thread-jacked it first (The True Capt. Jack Sparrow)

And I don't hate kids, just ones that like rap (well not that badly, but I do like to make fun of people who like Country and Rap)

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Captainimpaler has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy94920
Quote:

Brandon
Why not put this in one of those threads then?

It has been discused in those threads how RotV had the diversity, but SotM had the Commons.

I still think RotV is the better one though.

And Rap is not very good, go listen to the real music as in AC/DC or Rush

(But if you really... like Rap better fine by me)
Meh AC/Dc is overrated rush is better try some beatles some eric clapton kansas and the hendrix

"The bigger they are the harder I kill."
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM

fred the bug has disabled reputation
I personally prefer Rotv because, as previously said, it is better for new players. I also like it because it has a more diverse array of characters and I'm also a map building junkie, so I'm a sucker for the set that has more terrain.

I'm James Murphy in the
Volcanic Island-Hangout
And the Arbiter (Halo 3) in the prismatic manor
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckels
the Marro master set makes for a great expansion, but just because it's big and they call it a master set, doesn't really make it a master set.
This makes no sense. RotV and SotM are both equally master sets. Both have an equal amount to say about what a master set "really is."

Quote:
And really... to duplicate two of the original characters is simply lazy. I don't care how it's reasoned, and what argument you can make... Raelin and Drake should have been TWO NEW CHARACTERS.
Couldn't disagree more. It isn't lazy in the slighest. If they were two new characters, they would both have had higher point values. Duplicating character names is a cost-cutting tool, and I hope we see more of it, for squads as well as for heroes.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
What he said!

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Fracture Woo who?
As a genera, there's nothing wrong with Rap. However the problem comes in the fact that rap tends to have the worst of it be popular then played ad naseuam. There are no "classic rap" radio stations, but if there were you'd probably hear a lot more sugar hill gang, funkmaster flex, and the like. Stuff like "white and Dirty" would never make it onto the classic rap station because it's a garbage song, along with most of what ends up on pop, rap stations.

As for modern rap? Well no one ever plays Deltron or the Herbalizer so I'm not going to put too much faith in what people consider 'good.'

Lastly back on the classic rap station Idea. There likely never WILL be a classic rap station because most of rap is about what's poppy now and not what was actually good. Most rap gets degernated into how that bass groove sounds and no one ever really pays attention to the fact that the lyrics are pretty stupid.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
ENOUGH HIJACKING. - This isn't a music thread.

Back to the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. It isn't lazy in the slighest. If they were two new characters, they would both have had higher point values. Duplicating character names is a cost-cutting tool, and I hope we see more of it, for squads as well as for heroes.
I don't understand... is this a joke?

Their (new Raelin and Drake) point values WERE higher. And I don't see how it's a cost-cutting tool, when they molded new figures, and made new cards, with different stats and attacks.

Why would you want more duplication of existing characters? Please elaborate on this.

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion