Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Army Selected, and a new forum started.

Ok, so I'm really having a time choosing an army for tomorrow's tourney.

It's 400 points, on the same set of maps that were used at GenCon.

So far, I came up with an army for my wife that has been dominating in our playtesting: Krav, Nakita, Raelin, 2x WoA. It's just a house of an army. She's set, but I'm not.

This is our first "competitve" event, and after reading some tourney reports, I kindof know what to expect, but I'm unsure how I want to combat it.

First for my play style... I like my armies to be aesthically pleasing. I prefer having fewer units to decide between moving, 4 different cards (multiple commons, not counting) is about the peak of my comfort zone since common squads came out. I dislike AE and Drake, and for the most part, all modern and futuristic humans. I also don't like investing more than 150 points in a single figure/squad. With all that being said, here are a few lists I've been kicking around/playtesting (in no particular order):

2x Monks, 1x Ninja, 1x Izumi, Shotgun. Solid army, but I've found the monks to be somewhat lackluster as of late. Considering dropping 1x squad of of monks and Shotgun for 2x AArchers. I ran another version that was 2x monks, Shotgun, James, Guilty, and Izumi. It was fun, but there were too many cards and that lead to ordermarkers being thinned out too much for my tastes.

2x Minions, 2x AArchers, Theracus. I enjoy this army, and the Minions normally do fairly well for me. Theracus is basically just a toss in for me, and serves as a pretty potent fig when need be. I just have a hard time spending more than half of my army on 6 very expensive squad figures. Another version is Syv, 2x Minions, and Raelin. I've used that one, too, but I think 2x AArchers > Syv. But that's just me.

3x reavers, 2x 'nators, 1x stalkers. Getting ready to test this one out. Not sure how it will fair, but I think I've got all the angles covered. Plus, I think it will look really neat.

2x AArchers, Venoc Warlord, Theracus, Syv. Another one I really like. I don't really care for the Vipers, as 0 defense scares the bejesus out of me. Syv gets high quick with Theracus, and AArchers and Venoc wade in to continue the carnage.

2x Blasticons, 2x Glads, X17. I like this army ALOT. It fits my idea of ideal armies, 1 major hero, and an even amount of ranged and melee. It also requires less order marker placement strategy, which is always a plus. I tried another version of this that was 2x Glads, 1x Blasticons, Q-9. Q-9 is a house, but so much of an investment. The main drawback of this army for me is that I find the Glads somewhat weaker than their points portray, and also that it may be considered as some as "cheesy"

3x Romans, 2x 4th, Marcus. I know, I know, why no BBQ?! I just don't think he fits aesthetically. I really enjoy this army, and it's quite tough. Another version of this we play switches out 1x Romans for Deadeye. This is my most solid choice, but I also think it is the cheesiest.

3x Arrow Gruts, Mimring, Krug. Another powerhouse army, that requires little to no thought. Cheese factor strikes again.

2x Gruts, 2x Arrow Gruts, Grimnak, Krug. Another solid army, but cheese factor once again.

3x Drones, 2x Marden, Marro Warriors. I really like this army as well. I would like to play something a little more original, but this has done fairly solidly for me. I prefer MW to M-B-S, just a preference, though.

Things I don't own:
Swog Riders/Knights
MacDirks/MAs
Armocs/Greeks
Nerak/Hawthorne/EOV

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

smallboxgames.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion