Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:54 PM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!
Cool Heroscape Counting Coup

I was reading a thread in another area and came to the realization that massive FFA battles aren't always won by the player who "kills" more of his opponents than the other players. Frequently, the player who wins a FFA is just the one who sat back and let everyone else do the killing. I wanted to come up with a method of playing FFA games that prevents that. I'm going to outlibe it below, and revise that based on my own experiences and on any opinions I feel make sense. I would love your feedback, actually, I hope you offer some. If you like this idea, feel free to try it out yourself.

Heroscape Counting Coup

Instead of playing using traditional kill 'em all rules, or scenario specific rules, keep track of the points that you kill. You can play whole card, which is scored only after all the figures on a given card are destroyed (when the final wound is put on a hero) or partial card, where each figure is worth the total of the card divided by the number of figs on the card. Glyphs if used count as 25 points. Wiping an opponent out would receive a bonus, perhaps 50 points.

I think I'll try this out using a hybrid model, where each figure destroyed is worth a value, but the final figure is awarded a bonus. For example, each of the first two Krav Maga score 30 points to the figure who destroys them, but the third scors as 40, the total point value of the card.

I think one advantage of this method is that it forces players to seek out battle while a second is that the game can be set to run a certain time or round limit. You can see who accumulates the most points in an hour and a half.

I don't know. Has anyone else tried something like this? Anyone have other opinions on this style of play?

Last edited by legoboy; March 9th, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Heroscape Counting Coup

Yes. This is pretty much how I always play 3 player. The only weird thing in it is what to do with "regenerating" squads (dividers, anything marro with the hive around). Except (unlike yours) I just do a straight up 1/X of the card value per figure, so we don't have to think a lot about "who killed what last" and such. Works really well, keeps the game moving. Forces my opponents into the fray.

Some things we decided:
When playing regenerating units (I played dividers last), you take the points from an opponent and put them back on the field. My opponents thought it should be random, I liked the idea of using it to pick on the leader. Decide for yourself which you prefer (we all agreed that having them count repeatedly just penalized me for having them, while rewarding my opponents for no good reason. Since we play these types of games with a random draft deck, we agreed this was the most fair approach).
When suiciding a figure, you get no points for it. When killing your own figures with flail hurricane or whatever, you get no points. Otherwise, you just go dive in the lava and take the free points to your score, especially at the end if it'll give you the win. This also counts for accidents, like when a stinger drain roll fails (the points are simply lost).

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the emphasis on being offensive, but I'm not so keen on getting more points for finishing off a squad or hero it seems to encourage the use of commons, which already have an advantage. I do like your suggestion for getting extra points for finishing off someone.

My suggestion would be that you get more points for finishing in an higher position, for example if you finished first you would get 100 extra points, second 50 extra, third 25 extra and fourth 0 extra points. Adding that ruling helps guards against the possibility off someone dieing first but still getting the win, which I don't think should happen if at all possible. If would also force you to not only kill figures but also survive for awhile (or at lest longer then some other people).

Last edited by infectedsloth; March 9th, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Maybe for the next Chicagoland tourny?
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dad_Scaper ran a recent multiplayer tournament in Maryland using similar scoring rules:

Multiplayer Madness

ClanCampbell has also run a couple of tournaments prior to that one, with a similar format.

The rounds consisted of 3- or 4-player matches with partial card scoring. When time was called (each match ran an hour or so), you tallied up the points of damage you inflicted and were given a certain amount of "victory points" based on who had the highest total points. The tournament winner was based on the highest number of victory points. Even if you were eliminated from a match completely, you could win the match if you inflicted more damage or destroyed more units than your opponents. This really encouraged players to go out and attack rather than sitting back and waiting for their opponents to knock each other off.

The way we played there, healing/regenerating units just offered more points to players (you could end up getting more points than the unit initially cost if it kept healing and you kept damaging it). Also, units that destroyed themselves (ie., wolves of Badru) offered no points if they died as a result of their special ability.

The format was a lot of fun and made people think twice about bringing their high-cost units (Q9 was worth a lot of points per wound inflicted ). It also reduced turtling because the object was to outscore your opponent, rather than outlast him/her.

It was my first experience with a multiplayer format that seemed to work well. I'm used to two players unofficially ganging up on one player or someone sitting back while the other two destroy each other. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Nice idea, just takes a lot of effort to mark down what you kill after every turn, and that just seems like too much work for my taste.

Some other ideas:
Three-player free-for-alls: how to structure them
End game dragging....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
See Three-player free-for-alls: how to structure them. My advice (what I do in multiplayer games):
  • In FFA games at the end of the round if you attacked at least one figure in the round, roll a 20-sided die to try to either bring back a squad member or remove a wound from a hero (but not resurrect a hero).
  • In 4+ player games, if you attack one player the round you need 16 or higher, if you attack figures from two players you need a 11 or higher, and if you attack figures from three players you need a 6 or higher.
  • In 3-player games (or after a 4+ player is down to 3 players), if you attack one player the round you needed 16 or higher, if you attack figures from two players you need a 11 or higher.
  • Once it is down to 2 players, the resurrection/heal roll goes away.
  • It makes the game last longer but stops turtling, and people go out of their way to attack 2 or 3 different players a round. Truces still form between 2 players but they don't last long (say until a dragon or Q9 from another player is dead).
  • You could also try instead of requiring someone to just attack an opponent, they must wound them, because sometimes people would attack knowing they wouldn't wound just to get the bonus. But even making people attack others still prevents turtling.
Ideas from Official Scenarios:
Spoiler Alert!
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Nice idea, just takes a lot of effort to mark down what you kill after every turn, and that just seems like too much work for my taste.
Agreed. That was the biggest downside.

In some of the games we played, we just kept the figures we destroyed until the end of the match. The only thing you had to really keep track of was the number of wounds you put on the heroes. At the end of the match you just added everything up and gave the figures back.

I also wrote down the cost of each of my individual units/wounds for everything in my army and carried it with me from match to match. That way, I could tell my opponents what each unit was worth at the end.

The math did get a little long sometimes, but it was still a pretty fun time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions