Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Do you use order markers?

I have never played a game without order markers. As far as younger players, my son has been playing 2 yrs and he is only 6 now(started at 4) and he has always used markers.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:37 AM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sometimes we use them, sometimes we don't. It all depends on our mood at the time and what the goals in the game are. We do all kinds of scenarios here that make the game unique and fun instead of "destroy em' all".

Sometimes we will move all our figures and attack with only one. If bonding comes into play, we say that you can use both the squad and hero to attack with. It's very uncomplicated and tons of fun!

It's nothing like Knights in chess or bases in baseball. It can be worked around with very little imagination. By no means are they a necessity.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:37 AM

MagJam Woo who?

wow, I just went through and read all of these...yikes. To everyone new and old to these boards, I highly recommend you use the search function before posting questions. Failure to do so puts you at risk of pure and unadulterated heckling!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

I too avoid using OMs when playing with most of my young relatives, save one, who is like a little genious.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM

DeathByUtgar Woo who?

I don't use em, or initiative usually, for me they just seem... well i guess I like the action more than the strategy... and the initiative I always give to the other player, I am the only one in my gaming group who owns any 'scape at all so therefore have the most experience, and I have never played more than two way so no worries there either.
We just activate one card each turn, if it has bonding the rules continue.

U.S Marines allowing enemies of the U.S a chance to die for their country since 1775.
my modest custom units and terrain

Last edited by DeathByUtgar; July 3rd, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeBob
Ok. I am one of the oldies around here. This Friday I turn 40. I have been a miniature gamer since I was around 14 so you do the math. I have played countless games and have collected a fairly large amount of figures from many different manufacturers.

Anyway, one of the things that I noticed immediately about Heroscape was the fact that so many games ended very closely rather than the typical situation where one person is dominating for 75% of the game etc.

These photo finish games.. these nail biters are simply, the best gaming experience for me. I seriously do not enjoy games that I lose horribly or win horribly. And on the flip side, I could care less who wins the game as long as it is close.

This whole thing is made even more intense when playing against my friends. I want to crawl in a hole when I win big or when I loose horribly. I about crawled under a rock at one tourney when I Dead eye Dan killed Imax's Q9 and totally ruined his win (he was trouncing me something awful). ... Just not my cupa.

It is my belief that one of the main reasons I enjoy Heroscape so much is because of the order markers. This genius invention, helps keep the game somewhat even down to the end, and promotes more close endings. At the core, I do believe that this is the source of me fascination with this game.

Now I know there are some out there that love to totally dominate a scenario, and this is a chance for you top chime in, but for me it is all about those close endings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Everybody here uses order markers except for a rare couple of occasional nincompoops who simply refuse for whatever reason.
I think these 2 quotes sums it all up.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Order markers are one of the most essential components of Heroscape gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; July 3rd, 2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: My 7.75 y/o nephew insists on using them too.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Order markers are probably one of the main reasons I still play Heroscape more than other miniatures.

IMO, Order Markers are responsible for promoting more close calls and even matches, allowing players to stay active throughout the game instead of being bored due to lack of units (case in point, if you have 2 figs left in DDM Skirmish and the opponent has 6, your whole round is over after one turn with each of those figs: now kick back and watch your opponent take 6 turns in a row on your ass), and are a major part of the strategic component.

Currently HS is very finely divided between strategy and luck; but take away the order markers and I'd say a good 75% of the strategy goes away, and once that happens, it becomes a different game for me. And at that point, I might as well play a different game.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:18 AM

gum man Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagJam View Post
wow, I just went through and read all of these...yikes. To everyone new and old to these boards, I highly recommend you use the search function before posting questions. Failure to do so puts you at risk of pure and unadulterated heckling!
O, god!!
I sure hope I never make such an embarassing mistake in my whole life!!!:un sure:

"I summon the rechets of bogdan!"
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I almost always use OMs, and so do all the other (adult) players I know here in NYC.

Back in the day, when I was a solitaire player, I'd play a few huge games which included back then (say a couple of years after HS came out) all my figures. In these games I'd play without OMs, just give each Army Card one activation in every round. I'd put a poker chip on a card when it was done, to indicate it had taken its turn in the round.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

For me, it's not HeroScape without the order markers. It's just dumping a bunch of figures on the board and seeing what happens. To each his own though, there's no rules for how to play at home.

I started teaching Scape to my son at age 4 (now age 7), and he's always used the OMs. He plays in tourneys now (since age 6) and actually placed 2nd in the Mixed Marvel at TotalCon back in February.

-insert signature here-
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
For me, it's not HeroScape without the order markers. It's just dumping a bunch of figures on the board and seeing what happens. To each his own though, there's no rules for how to play at home.

I started teaching Scape to my son at age 4 (now age 7), and he's always used the OMs. He plays in tourneys now (since age 6) and actually placed 2nd in the Mixed Marvel at TotalCon back in February.
None here have any drive to play in tournaments. For us the game is meant to be just that, a game. We play all different kinds of rules to mix it up and keep the game alive. The OM's are not the life bloodof this game. The terrain and figures are.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion