Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Which comes first, Scatter or rat death?

There's nothing to see here... move along people.

1) The rat is first killed and removed from the board
2) Then you scatter with 2 other rats
3) Then Cover Fire kicks in

This ruling just clarifies that scatter takes place before cover fire... it doesn't change the fact that after failing to roll enough shields for defense, you immediately apply wounds (killing the rat).

These are robotic rats, people... NOT robotic chickens running around after their heads are cut off.

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old November 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post

This ruling just clarifies that scatter takes place before cover fire... it doesn't change the fact that after failing to roll enough shields for defense, you immediately apply wounds (killing the rat).

These are robotic rats, people... NOT robotic chickens running around after their heads are cut off.

SW8K
Interesting discussion. It almost seems that in this case the FAQ explains too much. A ruling that Cover Fire is resolved after Scatter and Ignore Wound abilities are resolved seems to be sufficient and can never be used to justify some odd side effects (like "Dead Rats Scattering").

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:

SW8K

-insert signature here-
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:

SW8K
There are things I love...
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:

I'm with Snotwalker here. I think the ordering clarification in the FAQ is just to make the game simpler so we don't have to roll the d20 to see whose power goes off goes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

I would tend to agree that the intent of the FAQ was likely to just say that Scatter activates before Cover Fire (at least I hope so).

That being said why didn't they just say "Scatter activates first, then cover fire."

There must be a reason the stressed that "Scatter activates after rolling defense dice, Cover Fire activates after inflicting the wound (after attack/defense dice are counted)."

It seems clear to me that if scatter comes after rolling, and cover fire comes after inflicting the wound, which comes after dice are counted, which comes after dice are rolled, that if I were to make a ruling based on the wording of this FAQ I would say rats scatter before they take wounds.

Since this is not in the rule book, or on the cards, and since this FAQ was written to clarify Agent Skahen and Cover Fire, and not the Death Reavers and Scatter, I will certanly not change the way I play the rats unless I get further infromation to this affect, i.e. a ruling from the Guru or a proclamation from on high (roughly equal, no?...)

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby! Elf_Archer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
This leads to more interesting situations (edit: came up with a few more).

Skahen attacks a Deathreaver who rolls fewer shields than Shacken rolled skulls. The Deathreaver then uses scatter to extreme fall off a cliff, into engagement with a Nakita agent, into a molten lava space. Any or all of these things kill the Deathreaver. Does Skahen still get to move another figure using cover fire?

Swap Shaken above for a Tagawa Samurai. Would the Tagawa gain a bloodlust marker?

What if a game comes down to Jotun against a Deathreaver. Jotun rolls 5 skulls against the Rat but after rolling defense and before being destroyed, the Deathreaver scatters onto the Glyph of Mitonsoul. A 1 is rolled for Jotun and he is destroyed. What happens/who wins?
I think that they both die. Glyphs are immediately activated, even in the middle of a move/attack/deffense phase. Thus Jotun dies, but the attack is still valid, and the rat also dies.

And in response to the fall off a cliff thing, I think that the unit doesn't get "credit" for killing the rats. The damage isn't applied until the rat is dead, and a normal overkill situation is reached.

I don't own the death reavers, but this new interpretation of the rules increases their in game potential, not decreases. I don't know why Long Heroscaper thought they were weakened.

Oh well, I don't own them, so I can't use this anyways, but it's not like I would draft the rats anyways.

Elf_Archer is the Sacred Band...
in the GARNET CAVE...
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Agreed, this is the logical way….but..... the wording on the Deathreavers card clearly states that after rolling defense dice you can move any 2 rats, with the emphasis on any. So as long as it’s not explicitly stated that ‘rolling defense dice’ equals “evaluating the result of the dice rolled’ any lawyer can defend the statement that the attacked Reaver can be among of the any 2.
I think this is unwanted and should be corrected in the Reavers faq. It should also be stated that defense dice should be rolled and evaluated for all attacked figures, to avoid the equally unwanted effect of Reavers scattering out of the danger zone when attacked by area effect attacks like the EA grenade attack.

</IMG>
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
It should also be stated that defense dice should be rolled and evaluated for all attacked figures, to avoid the equally unwanted effect of Reavers scattering out of the danger zone when attacked by area effect attacks like the EA grenade attack.
Those special attacks don't trigger Scatter, so the rats can't de-clump on the opponent's turn anyway.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, this is the logical way….but..... the wording on the Deathreavers card clearly states that after rolling defense dice you can move any 2 rats, with the emphasis on any. So as long as it’s not explicitly stated that ‘rolling defense dice’ equals “evaluating the result of the dice rolled’ any lawyer can defend the statement that the attacked Reaver can be among of the any 2.
I think this is unwanted and should be corrected in the Reavers faq.
The point I would offer is that we, in fact, do have to apply a certain amount of normal logic or common sense to these rules. If you went, strictly, with the "move any 2 rats" rule in a tournament setting, you could say you were allowed to move two of your oppoent's rats or two in some other person's game. This would, obviously, be stupid as an interpretation of the rules. Ordinary logic should outweigh strained interpretations.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Ordinary logic should outweigh strained interpretations.
Yes it should. Unfortunately history teaches us that human beings have a strong tendancy to not work like that.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Ordinary logic should outweigh strained interpretations.
Yes it should. Unfortunately history teaches us that human beings have a strong tendancy to not work like that.
Yes. Sad, but true.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's