Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old June 18th, 2020, 07:01 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Workbook of Moria War Drummer - Design (Fellowship A

I think you're forgetting how unreliable this power is, and how few spaces 3 move is.

Let's start at 30 or 35.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 18th, 2020, 07:02 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm on board for 35, 3 spaces is honestly a crawl. This guy isnt sir gilbert.
Old June 18th, 2020, 07:14 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I looked at Gilbert's card again. Bonding makes a big difference but on an 11 or higher this guy's ability is arguably better than Gilbert's. Let's start at 35.

--
--
--

--
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:07 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

NAME = Deep Drummer

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Hero
CLASS = War Drummer
PERSONALITY = Wild
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 35

WAR DRUM
After revealing an Order Marker on Deep Drummer you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1- 3, nothing happens. If you roll 3-10, you may move up to 4 unengaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each. If you roll 11-19, you may move up to 8 unegaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each. If you roll 20, move up to 12 unengaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each.

ECHOING BEAT
Whenever an other Orc that you control makes a 20-sided die roll they may add 1 to it.

Havent seen comments on this in a few days. Let's get momentum back. I like this draft, anyone see problems with it currently.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 03:45 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm pretty happy with it; I just updated the OP to have this version of the text.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 05:33 PM

I suspect we'll want to move that 11-19 up to 12, 13, or higher... but maybe not.

I'm happy with this and we can probably start the editing checklist for it.

--
--
--

--
Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:18 PM

MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby!

I really like this card, I am happy with the results.

Currently Working with the Explores of Valhalla Team.

Old June 24th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Updated for OP.

NAME = Deep Drummer

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Hero
CLASS = War Drummer
PERSONALITY = Wild
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 35

WAR DRUM
After revealing an Order Marker on Deep Drummer you may roll the 20-sided die.

* If you roll 1- 3, nothing happens.
* If you roll 3-10, you may move up to 4 unengaged Orc Squad figures 3 spaces each.
* If you roll 11-19, you may move up to 8 unegaged Orc Squad figures 3 spaces each.
* If you roll 20, move up to 12 unengaged Orc Squad figures 3 spaces each.

ECHOING BEAT
Whenever another Orc that you control makes a 20-sided die roll they may add 1 to it.

Character Bio: (taken from Tolkien Gateway, I think we should do something like this for Bios instead of writing original stuff)

"We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and Second Hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retreated to the Chamber of…Mazarbul. We are still ho{ldin}g...but hope …Óin's party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."

—Ori's last entry in the Book of Mazarbul

-RULINGS and CLARIFICATIONS-

* Echoing Beats: Each War Drummer that you have in your Army will increase the potency of this ability. Each War Drummer will add 1 to the d20 rolls of Orcs that use a d20 power to include other War Drummers.

-COMBINATIONS and SYNERGIES-

Synergy Benefits Received
(Insert links to figures that benefit the unit, and short explanation of synergy)

Synergy Benefits Offered
(Insert links to figures that this unit benefits, and a short explanation of synergy)
Old June 24th, 2020, 01:58 PM

I like that HoME Internal Checklist. Was that something we had from before or did you come up with it?

--
--
--

--
Old June 24th, 2020, 02:01 PM

So we need to consider:
should "Moria" be in the character name?
should "Orc" be in the character name?
Deep Drummer vs. War Drummer?

I prefer Deep Drummer and I'm a yes on Moria but I'm apathetic about Orc. Consistency would probably dictate we include Orc.

Regarding general, I would say Utgar, no question in my mind about that.

Regarding Cave Dweller, I'm happy to leave it off here.

I think we should put a "before moving" clause on the movement power: "After revealing an order marker, before moving" just so it is crystal clear when it occurs.

Regarding miniature I think our "default"/"official" miniature should be the D&D Orc Wardrummer #56 (or #32, I can't tell for sure). Although it is absurdly priced so this will be one we'll want to be sure we have plenty of proxies for, either unpainted or even 3d-printed.

@Chris Perkins I looked over the editing checklist, and with the caveats above it looks good to me. Would you give it a look?

Thanks again for doing this @Shiftrex

--
--
--

--
Old June 24th, 2020, 02:06 PM

MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby! MasterScaper1 rolls all skulls baby!

I think that Orc should be considered in the name of this card to stay consistent with the rest of the cards that we make.

Currently Working with the Explores of Valhalla Team.

Old June 24th, 2020, 03:04 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I also prefer "Deep Drummer" - it both fits the narrative better (drums in the deep) and gives us more flexibility later if, say, we wanted a troll drummer like what appears in the siege of Minas Tirith in the RotK movie.

Definitely Utgar - all metrics we have considered so far agree on that.

I agree with @capocrates on the change to "before moving".

I have no problem with that miniature - in general, I'm not the most knowledgeable about miniatures (I've never collected the physical C3V figs) so I'll probably end up deferring a lot in that regard.

I'm torn on inclusion of cave dweller; it certainly fits thematically, but if we include it here we must include it for all moria orcs & trolls we create as the only real reason to include it here is for consistency among those cards. Also, being aware of the fact that many people did not want overly complex cards, having 3 powers per card may be excessive, and I don't think the movement boost does this figure a lot of good anyways.

So I lean towards not including cave dweller, just to reduce the average number of powers on the secondary moria orc cards, but I wouldn't hate it if it ended up on the card (extra powers doesn't bother me much, but a good portion of our intended audience has asked to avoid it).

Regarding "Moria" being in the character name, I think we should only include regional information when necessary to identify the character; i.e. an orc could be from the Misty Mountains or Mordor, but a "Deep Drummer" can only be from Moria, so I think inclusion in the name is unnecessary and redundant.

Last edited by Chris Perkins; June 24th, 2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added comments on "Moria" in character name

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs