Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Added: Morathi Ajani

Added an Aquilla figure- Morathi Ajani.

Play tested him and had to revamp him due to him being slightly, well, ok, way overpowered.

Hope you like him. Let me know what I can do to improve him.
Thanks
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Thumbs up Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Added: Morathi Ajani

You continue to amaze me.

I'm not a fan of equipment cards and such, but you've done it in a way that makes it cool. I think Morathi is very well balanced.

The only thing I don't like is the hit zone, its even smaller than a zombie head and very easy to hide. That combined with the one sheild defense from the cloak, and he may be almost impossible to attack from range.

Very nice though, and the doggie is very funny. Keep up the good work.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
You continue to amaze me.

I'm not a fan of equipment cards and such, but you've done it in a way that makes it cool. I think Morathi is very well balanced.

The only thing I don't like is the hit zone, its even smaller than a zombie head and very easy to hide. That combined with the one sheild defense from the cloak, and he may be almost impossible to attack from range.

Very nice though, and the doggie is very funny. Keep up the good work.
You're right about the hit zone. During playtesting he didn't have the one shield defense, that was part of the revamp. The hit zone was a point of questioning during the playtesting so I figured I'd change it to a one shield defense. After doing so I forgot to edit his hit zone.

As always, clancampbell, thank you for the encouragement and the input. I gotta get to one of your tournies soon so I can actually shake your hand.
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Carakki knows what's in an order marker Carakki knows what's in an order marker

Wow. I'm going to review the most recent customs (I just don't have time to go through all of them).

Before I start, I'm going to mention that I believe correct phrasing of abilities and visual formatting of a card is just as important as the stats and abilities themselves. If I ever seem harsh, just bear in mind that I'm trying to improve the card.

Morathi Ajani
Critical Points:
  • Text for name, move, range, attack, defense, and abilities is too wide.
  • Text for points is too thin.
  • Is his Dreamwalk special ability one word (Dreamwalk) or two (Dream Walk)? It's one word in the title and two in the ability.
  • Dreamwalk/Dream Walk should not have 'Special Ability' after it.
  • 'Is' in the seventh line of Dreamwalk/Dream Walk is too close to the image.
  • What do the Crystal Gifts do? It doesn't specify in the ability.
  • When referring to cards in Crystal Gifts, they should be called Army Cards.
  • 'Morathi Ajani cannot benefit from his own Crystal Gifts,' should be written as 'Morathi Ajani is not affected by his own Crystal Gifts.'
  • Though I love the name for Writhing Garment, it should be called Evil Eye Defense.
  • What I'm assuming are unhittable zones are pink. They should be gray.
  • I'm having difficulty judging point cost due to the ambiguity of Crystal Gifts.
Positive Points:
  • It appears that you've used a fog effect on the image. I never managed fog until my nth custom, I find this impressive.
  • You're using a real figure, something I've never done.
  • How did you manage to extend the white (text) area of the card? Please, share this with me.
Fido
Critical Points:
  • See above for complaints about text.
  • Abilities text cuts it a little close to the edges of the white space.
  • 'Attacking' in Aww, He's So Cute is too close to the image.
  • Didn't notice this in Morathi Ajani, but the text for size is too small.
Positive Points:
  • See above fog statement.
  • See above figure usage statement.
  • Good system for detemining cost and abilities.
  • Class is cute.
Erithyn
Critical Points:
  • See above text complaints, excepting the one about the name.
  • Too much space between abilities.
  • Too much space between Manticore's Volley and the top of the white space.
  • Seems pricede slightly too high; I could be wrong about this.
Positive Points:
  • Text formatting for name has improved.
  • Gray coloring has been used for unhittable zones.
  • See above fog/figure statements; just take these two for granted from now on.

Lord Talen

Critical Points:
  • See above for text complaints; take this for granted from now on unless I say otherwise.
  • Players need a way of keeping track of usage of Arm of the Titan. For example, add the following text to the ability: 'Start each round with a yellow Power Marker on this card. Remove the Power Marker when you use Arm of the Titan.'
  • Lord Talen seems a tad undderpriced; I would place him around 160.
Positive Points:
  • Good stats.
  • Creative abilities, very thematic.
Vynn Thera
Critical Points:
  • Species, type, class, and personality text sizes are way out of proportion.
  • Text for abilities needs to be shrunk.
Positive Points:
  • Good stats.
  • Good pricing.
I'll review all new cards you post as they come.

Last edited by Carakki; April 8th, 2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added conclusion.
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker

I like this figure he reminds me of Dhalsim from Street Fighter.

Love the crystal idea

My first gut feeling is to drop the life down a bit but then that limits how often you can use the crystals

As for his sleep walk you might as well just lower his total movement and ghost walk

7 life and 140 points + stealth dodge at 4 defence dice?

I dunno he seems a little under priced for abilities. It is allways hard to balance the abilities you want with price but I would cut back on total movement to 5 with the ghost walk. He's old and skinny.

drop his defence dice to 3 and tack on like 40 points.

Just my first impressions but good work on the new guy
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carakki View Post
Wow. I'm going to review the most recent customs (I just don't have time to go through all of them).

Before I start, I'm going to mention that I believe correct phrasing of abilities and visual formatting of a card is just as important as the stats and abilities themselves. If I ever seem harsh, just bear in mind that I'm trying to improve the card.

Morathi Ajani

Critical Points:
  • Text for name, move, range, attack, defense, and abilities is too wide.
  • Text for points is too thin.
  • Is his Dreamwalk special ability one word (Dreamwalk) or two (Dream Walk)? It's one word in the title and two in the ability.
  • Dreamwalk/Dream Walk should not have 'Special Ability' after it.
  • 'Is' in the seventh line of Dreamwalk/Dream Walk is too close to the image.
  • What do the Crystal Gifts do? It doesn't specify in the ability.
  • When referring to cards in Crystal Gifts, they should be called Army Cards.
  • 'Morathi Ajani cannot benefit from his own Crystal Gifts,' should be written as 'Morathi Ajani is not affected by his own Crystal Gifts.'
  • Though I love the name for Writhing Garment, it should be called Evil Eye Defense.
  • What I'm assuming are unhittable zones are pink. They should be gray.
  • I'm having difficulty judging point cost due to the ambiguity of Crystal Gifts.
Positive Points:
  • It appears that you've used a fog effect on the image. I never managed fog until my nth custom, I find this impressive.
  • You're using a real figure, something I've never done.
  • How did you manage to extend the white (text) area of the card? Please, share this with me.
Fido

Critical Points:
  • See above for complaints about text.
  • Abilities text cuts it a little close to the edges of the white space.
  • 'Attacking' in Aww, He's So Cute is too close to the image.
  • Didn't notice this in Morathi Ajani, but the text for size is too small.
Positive Points:
  • See above fog statement.
  • See above figure usage statement.
  • Good system for detemining cost and abilities.
  • Class is cute.
Erithyn

Critical Points:
  • See above text complaints, excepting the one about the name.
  • Too much space between Manticore's Volley and the top of the white space.
  • Seems pricede slightly too high; I could be wrong about this.
Positive Points:
  • Text formatting for name has improved.
  • Gray coloring has been used for unhittable zones.
  • See above fog/figure statements; just take these two for granted from now on.

Lord Talen

Critical Points:
  • See above for text complaints; take this for granted from now on unless I say otherwise.
  • Players need a way of keeping track of usage of Arm of the Titan. For example, add the following text to the ability: 'Start each round with a yellow Power Marker on this card. Remove the Power Marker when you use Arm of the Titan.'
  • Lord Talen seems a tad undderpriced; I would place him around 160.
Positive Points:
  • Good stats.
  • Creative abilities, very thematic.
Vynn Thera

Critical Points:
  • Species, type, class, and personality text sizes are way out of proportion.
  • Text for abilities needs to be shrunk.
Positive Points:
  • Good stats.
  • Good pricing.
I'll review all new cards you post as they come.
Thank you for all the input!

Text size, I admit, is something I struggle to get "official" looking, especially on my earlier cards. I just dloaded a Word doc that is a template for these things. Hopefully that will help me improve in this area. For Ullar figs it is difficult with the fig name because (and this is not a complaint, bunjee did a great service to the community) the space between "Ullar" and Ullar's symbol is narrower then on the others.

On the Dream Walk ability name, it is two words. The font I used, when I bolded it in the title, made it look like one word. I can put a double space between the words to clear up this confusion. I debated whether or not to add "special ability". I didn't want to just because it looks crowded. I thought I needed to so that Dream Walk wouldn't gain any other movement bonuses (i.e. movement bonus from being on a road). You're right, the word "is" is too close. I missed that, thanks for pointing that out.

Each Crystal Gift does something different so instead of trying to put it all on Morathi's card I thought it best to have a card for each Gift that described their abilities.

Thanks for pointing out the "Army Card" reference. I'll try to start implementing that on future customs. It would take a bit of work to go back and change it on all the customs I've done so far.

Writhing Garment. I read somewhere that if you use an "official" ability on a custom you should keep it as the original name. I've also read elsewhere that if you use an "official" ability you should rename it, if necessary, to keep your custom thematic.
I see the point of the first because it makes it much simpler when looking at the cards. If you're familiar with abilities you only need to look at the name to know what it does.
I see the point of the latter, also. The names of some abilities, like Braxas' Poison Breath, may not fit the custom figure even though the text of the ability does.
For Writhing Garment I went for theme. You can't tell from the pic his cloak is actually his staff as well. It made me think of Spawn and his cape.
So, I'm in a quandary. I understand what you're saying and see the sense in it, but, I'd like to keep the "flavor" of the figure in the ability names as well.
Can I say that I'll think on this one?

Pink! That's weird. I don't know why it turned out that way but now that you mention it, it does look pink. It was grey before...I thought ... maybe ...?

Wow! Thats a lot. I've gotta go, but, once again I very much appreciate the time and thought you put into your response. Constructive criticism is a good thing. I'll make the changes I can and definitely consider all that you've said.

And to Skeletor as well, thank you for your input. I may consider dropping the Writhing Garment ability altogether after your point of his point cost, life, and defense. Of course the thought of dropping his defense is good one as well.

As far as his point cost- that is probably my weakest area in making customs. So I will definitely take into consideration any input on his cost.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
As always, clancampbell, thank you for the encouragement and the input. I gotta get to one of your tournies soon so I can actually shake your hand.
It would be awesome if you could make one of my tournies. Some of your customs would make for awesome prizes if you were inclined to part with them.
Odd how we live in the same state and yet are so far from each other, and its really not that big of a state.

Old April 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Added: Steelborn Hunter

Added Aramon, a Steelborn Hunter. He was created as a Soulborg counter unit, especially against the Deathreavers.
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

Love Aramon. Again nice job!

I really hate deathreavers, so this guy is right up my alley.

Old April 16th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Carakki knows what's in an order marker Carakki knows what's in an order marker

If you need more space for your abilities, I recommend this thread; it contains quality scans of cards with extended white space.

Aramon
Critical Points:
  • Body text of abilities is bolded.
  • Ability headings are slightly oversized.
  • Species/type/class/personality/size text is too wide.
  • Name text is too wide.
  • Species goes past its cell and into the edge of the card.
  • Move/range/attack/defense values are not vertically aligned.
  • There is no apparent space between '1' and 'Deathreaver' in Reaver Bane.
  • I recommend making Reaver Bane into a special attack with Attack 4; Range Special; to clear up the issue of Aramon attacking Scattered Deathreavers without moving despite his Range of 1.
Positive Points:
  • Cool figure.
  • Cool bio to go with the cool figure.
  • Overall, text formatting has improved significantly.
  • Reaver Bane is a good idea; a squad of Steelborns with Reaver Bane would be hailed as a great creation.
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Added: Custom Abilities List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carakki View Post
If you need more space for your abilities, I recommend this thread; it contains quality scans of cards with extended white space.

Aramon

Critical Points:
  • Body text of abilities is bolded.
  • Ability headings are slightly oversized.
  • Species/type/class/personality/size text is too wide.
  • Name text is too wide.
  • Species goes past its cell and into the edge of the card.
  • Move/range/attack/defense values are not vertically aligned.
  • There is no apparent space between '1' and 'Deathreaver' in Reaver Bane.
  • I recommend making Reaver Bane into a special attack with Attack 4; Range Special; to clear up the issue of Aramon attacking Scattered Deathreavers without moving despite his Range of 1.
Thanks for the link. In the post about Aramon I mentioned that Steelborn was too big to fit in the "Race" space. If you or anyone else can think of a cool name that fits the theme of a non-soulborg mechanical unit that will fit I am all ears . I will change the wording on the Reaver Bane ability to clear up any discrepancies. I'll also work on "cleaning-up" the text of the card.

On another note...

A couple of months ago I went on a brainstorming kick to come up with new abilities for custom figs. I created quite a plethora of abilities ranging from attacking to defense to movement to bonding to totally miscellaneous. I arrived at the conclusion last night that I’ll never create enough customs to use them all. So, I want to start sharing them.

The majority of these are original to me. There may be an occasional ability that I adapted from someone else. When I did adapt an ability I tried to note what ability I adapted and who the original creator was.
Some of these are still in their “brainstorming” incarnation and need some reworking. Some are fine as is. Others, well, they probably wouldn’t ever work with game mechanics.

Read through them. If you find some you like, use them. If you find some that totally stink (and I’m sure there are some that do), don’t use them.

I’ll start with some of the attacking abilities. Since these weren’t made for any particular figures some of them have something like: Attack [1 less than normal attack].This means that whatever figure they are used for, the special attack uses 1 less attack die then that figure’s normal attack.

Also, if you need some inspiration for developing new abilities check this out...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=23131

Rescue- If <unit name> attacks an enemy figure already engaged with a friendly figure, add 1 die to <unit name>’s attack.

Now It’s Personal- At the beginning of the game choose a General Glyph and place it on this card.For each enemy figure that <unit name>destroys who follows the chosen general, remove 1 wound marker from this card. You may not change General Glyphs once the game has begun.

Warpstrike Special Attack- Range 4. Attack [1 less than normal attack].When using the Warpstrike Special Attack, <unit name>does not need a clear LOS.

Implacable Special Attack- Attack [+3 to normal attack]. If <unit name> inflicts 1 or more wounds using the Implacable Special Attack place 1 wound marker on this card. <Unit name>may continue to attack with the Implacable Special Attack until he no longer inflicts a wound.

Nothing to Lose- If <unit name>moves adjacent to 2 or more enemy figures or any one huge enemy figure add 2 to his attack.

Wolfsbane- When attacking any type of wolf figure, <unit name> receives 1 extra attack die

Kick ‘Em When They’re Down- If an friendly figure adjacent to <unit name> inflicts a wound on an enemy figure within 2 clear sight spaces of <unit name>, <unit name>may immediately roll 1 unblockable attack die against the defending figure.

Brutal Onslaught Special Attack- Attack [-2 normal attack]. After the defending figure rolls defense you may re-roll all of your attack dice once. If you re-roll, no previous skulls on the re-rolled dice count as hits and the defending figure cannot re-roll defense.

Brutish Charge Special Attack- For each space <unit name>moves to attack the defending figure roll 1 attack die. If the Brutish Charge inflicts at least 1 wound roll 1 attack die. If you roll a skull remove any unrevealed Order Markers from the defending figure’s card and move the defending figure 3 spaces back. If the figure collides with a terrain obstacle or another figure the defending figure’s movement is halted and it receives another wound.

Determined- At the beginning of the game choose an enemy figure and place a Quarry Marker on its card. If <unit name>does not attack any other figurebefore he attacks the chosen figure he receives no wounds for leaving an engagement and can resist any type of mind shackle or soul devour attempt with a roll of 14 or greater with the 20-sided die. Upon attacking the chosen figure, <unit name>may add 2 to his attack. If the chosen figure is destroyed, either by <unit name> or another figure, <unit name>may choose another enemy figure to target with his Determined Ability.

Angstrom Net Launcher- Range 6. Attack 3. Choose an enemy figure within range. All figures adjacent to the chosen figure are affected by the Angstrom Net Launcher Special Attack. Roll once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense separately. Any figure who receives at least 1 wound must remove any unrevealed Order Markers from its card. If a defending figure rolls no shields, it is destroyed.

Vulnerable Smash- After moving and before attacking with <unit name> you may place 1 wound marker on this card and add 2 dice to <unit name>’s attack.

Fumble- When attacking with <unit name> if you do not roll any skulls, the defending figure may roll 1 unblockable attack die against <unit name>.

Last edited by Lamaclown; April 16th, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Added: Custom Abilities List

Steelborn won't fit, but soulborg will. Must be a 8 character cap. How about Ironborn, still has that forged construct, mechanical feel to it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards