Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Definitely not horrible

Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby!
Play by Post Heroscape

Hello everyone, today I will be presenting you with some rules on how to play Heroscape IN THE FORUMS. Please wait while I spoil my inner turmoils...
Spoiler Alert!

What you will need-
-PERMISSION TO START A MATCH.
-GIMP (and preferably some knowledge with it.)
-A map image. (The Heroskype maps are great and ready to roll, but any Virtualscape map taken at the same angle can work, as you don't need the numbers/letters.)
-A small image representing each of your figures.
Spoiler Alert!

Setup-
-Once you find a match, start a thread... Something along the lines of "400P PbP-Bothi vs Joeshmo"
-Upload your figure images, and save your opponents pictures (the more PbP you play, the less you will have to save! (Because you will already have many usable images.)
-Both players roll the 20-sided die. Whoever rolls lowest must set up all of her figures first, and then the next player sets up hers.
Spoiler Alert!

-Create a spoiler for each unit you are using. Must include a picture of the card, and the number of markers on it (ie; brown negation markers, grenade markers, wound markers...). You are (obviously) allowed to look at your enemy's spoilers.

Gameplay-

-Gameplay in PbP Heroscape is the exact same as in normal Heroscape, just remember that every turn you move a unit you must upload an image of the map. If you do not move (ie; you just attack, or pass the turn) your simply state so (ie; My Ne Gok Sa does not move, and attempts Mind Shackle on your Anubian Wolf) which would then be followed by a roll, etc.
-Rolls are nothing more than using the online die roller and stating your results. DO NOT LIE.
-Please, don't post in a match you are not competing in.

------------------------------------

Did I miss something?-

This section ought to be called "help me find what I messed up on"
I know I must have made mistakes somewhere, and if you find them, I will fix them quickly.

Happy 'Scapin!

Last edited by Bothi; June 2nd, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Play by Post Heroscape

Yeah... That's cool and all, but why would you ever want to do it that way when the current system is both far more advanced and easier to use?

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Yeah, heroskype is a really great way to play (from what I've heard).

Why is this in the Contests and Forum Games section anyway?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post
Why is this in the Contests and Forum Games section anyway?
Because he is proposing playing a GAME using the FORUMs...therefore...FORUM GAME
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Actually, this is a fairly clever way to play when you don't have time to sit down and play a whole game out. Generally speaking though, I like Heroskype better.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Definitely not horrible

Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby! Bothi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Yeah... That's cool and all, but why would you ever want to do it that way when the current system is both far more advanced and easier to use?
This ^ is an opinion.

1-Time. Like caps said, this allows people in different time zones to play. You can play over a long span of time (days, weeks, etc.) and not mess anything up/forget anything. If you get busy suddenly, you can still go back to a match you were playing a few days ago.

2-Learning curve. (OPINION) Also, there is less of a learning curve (but then, most of us here probably are familiar with Heroskype by now), as long as you know Heroscape, you can easily pick up the PbP.

3-Spectating. This allows EVERYONE on the forums to easily watch the match, and you, too, can watch other matches and learn from others mistakes and victories.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

What you're suggesting is not easier or more accessible. It's just a hobbled version of what we're already doing, plus the added step of stopping to post about every move you make in a thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
This ^ is an opinion.

1-Time. Like caps said, this allows people in different time zones to play. You can play over a long span of time (days, weeks, etc.) and not mess anything up/forget anything. If you get busy suddenly, you can still go back to a match you were playing a few days ago.
This is also possible with the current online system. Both the game log and the game board are persistent. You can walk away as long as you want and come back in the same spot - the only thing that is lost when you end a session is unrevealed order markers. Of course, you're suggesting doing this - and every other roll - by the honor system, anyway, so that's not a comparative disadvantage.

Heck, you can still look up games I played months ago if you have the links.

Quote:
2-Learning curve. (OPINION) Also, there is less of a learning curve (but then, most of us here probably are familiar with Heroskype by now), as long as you know Heroscape, you can easily pick up the PbP.
I'm a bit baffled. You're suggesting people pull in images to a google doc, and then open up a seperate app to do dice rolls. Not to put to fine a point on it, but that's the same thing! The only real difference is that:
  1. The current system has an integrated app so you can do it all out of one window if you like, and
  2. Nobody is required to make a post after every turn this way.
The actual complexity of what you seem to be suggesting is almost strictly greater than what we're already doing.

Quote:
3-Spectating. This allows EVERYONE on the forums to easily watch the match, and you, too, can watch other matches and learn from others mistakes and victories.
Again, already possible. Not only do people watch the online games, live, frequently, but nobody is stopping anyone from posting screenshots and log files for these events just as you are suggesting. I've done this myself; you can see a few different approaches here. This is actually easier than what you're suggesting, because the log file provides a built-in record of the game to draw from.

I've gotta ask - have you actually tried using the app? Have you ever opened a game and looked at how it works? Frankly, this reads like you dropped into those threads, didn't realize that all you had to do was go here and paste two strings (or not, if you're starting a new game and/or keeping the image in a second window), and decided to try some sort of work-around.

Come give it a shot - I bet you'd find that it's what you're looking for.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:03 AM
Definitely not horrible

Truth be told I was looking for something more familiar, as all of this Google docs, etc. is completely foreign to me. Not all of what you replied to was exactly what I was trying to get at, but then, I am not the best writer in the world. I have tried to get in a match with someone, but have yet to find an opponent.

Would you be willing to open a match with me?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Just try playing with the app for a little yourself, to get the feel for it. The instructions in Filthy's post may seem intimidating, but most of it just involves setting up the figures on the map.

Just (log into a google account and) try playing around on an existing map. Here's one. Once you can do that, then just try opening a game here. Paste in the google doc link (1IWVzfdOKt7zXoq5LDhcXerexeWDpzy21WZfVrMP-UZk) if you want the map image in the same window.

Let me know if you have trouble If you're still interested in playing a game after you get the feel then someone (possibly me) will set one up with you.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games