Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 4th, 2014, 10:19 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Tournaments for a <5 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
So my friends and I like to play heroscape. We usually play for fun. I mean, we like to win, but the armies we use tend to be not on the competitive side most of the time. That's fun and all, but we also would like to have something competitive between just us friends. The thing is, none of us know any good formats for a "tournament" for just the four of us (sometimes there are only two or three of us, but we have four at max). So I bring the question to you, intelligent scapers:
Are there any good formats or ways of playing that would be good for 2-4 players to have a tournament?
If you think that there's already enough variations of tourneys, don't leave!! I will always be glad to hear a new recommendation, and I'm sure anyone browsing this thread would too. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!!!!!
Tournament format with 4 people? Easy-peasy. Round robin. Everyone plays everyone else, compare records at the end. Use partial card scoring for tiebreaks. At the end of the game, the loser gets 100 points for killing all the Krav Maga Agents, but if he killed 2, he still gets 66 points. Similarly, he gets 30 points for putting 1 wound on Kaemon Awa (1/4 of his life). The winners always get the 440 (or whatever) army size, and the losers get points for the damage they did.

If it's you & your buddies, and you're used to each other and share units, why don't you do a draft? 440 points, 24 hexes, 1 unit at a time; keep it very simple.
That sounds simple enough.
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Tournament format with 4 people? Easy-peasy. Round robin. Everyone plays everyone else, compare records at the end
This. Maybe the only addition would be to take the top two after all the games, and have a final championship game (1vs2), or seed a bracket (1vs4, 2vs3, then winner vs winner for championship).
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:34 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
Tournament format with 4 people? Easy-peasy. Round robin. Everyone plays everyone else, compare records at the end
This. Maybe the only addition would be to take the top two after all the games, and have a final championship game (1vs2), or seed a bracket (1vs4, 2vs3, then winner vs winner for championship).
Hmm. I'm thinkin I like that.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:39 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Hows about each of you players brings 400 points constructed. Each person must eliminate the figures to his or her left. Use Healing, Summoning, and Massive Curse glyphs only. No large or huge figures allowed. (That's how I'd do it at least. I hate large/huge figures. :P)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Hows about each of you players brings 400 points constructed. Each person must eliminate the figures to his or her left. Use Healing, Summoning, and Massive Curse glyphs only. No large or huge figures allowed. (That's how I'd do it at least. I hate large/huge figures. :P)

Sounds like a lot going on. Maybe it's not when you'd actually play it, though. Thank you for the suggestion, although I was looking for something including more than one game. I've never tried anything like that before, though, so I dunno how it would play out.
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:00 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post

Sounds like a lot going on. Maybe it's not when you'd actually play it, though. Thank you for the suggestion, although I was looking for something including more than one game. I've never tried anything like that before, though, so I dunno how it would play out.
Basically, each player is ONLY allowed to attack figures that his opponent controls to his LEFT. So (to paraphrase) your buddy Mephistopheles is sitting to your left, you can only attack his figures. Your other buddy Jedediah, is on your right. He's gonna be trying his best to attack only YOUR figures. Makes sense? It's a race to run from your opponent and attack at the same time.

(I just added the other stuff cuz It's the sorta rules I'd add. Feel free to disregard.)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM

That does sound interesting, @Owlman . Thanks. And thanks to everyone who has put up any sort of suggestion! I appreciate it. There's a lot of different suggestions and I like them all. If there's any more, keep em coming!
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yeah, if you have 3 players you can look at multiplayer formats. "Attack the player on your left/right is one example. I'd just play it completely normally. No special rules. When one player is eliminated, the player who was his "attacker" wins. End of story.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if you have 3 players you can look at multiplayer formats. "Attack the player on your left/right is one example. I'd just play it completely normally. No special rules. When one player is eliminated, the player who was his "attacker" wins. End of story.
Yeah, I've heard of that before, but haven't tried it yet.
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

If you're playing with three I would either do that or the Multiplayer Madness format I've used in tournaments before.

What you do is, you keep track of each bit of damage you do as you go. Like with partial card scoring, 66 for two Krav, 60 for two wounds on Kaemon Awa, etc. Except this time, keep score as you play. The winner is not the player who survives the longest, but the one who does the most damage.

This format encourages people to build armies, and to play, in a slightly different way. I'm fond of it.

= =
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If you're playing with three I would either do that or the Multiplayer Madness format I've used in tournaments before.

What you do is, you keep track of each bit of damage you do as you go. Like with partial card scoring, 66 for two Krav, 60 for two wounds on Kaemon Awa, etc. Except this time, keep score as you play. The winner is not the player who survives the longest, but the one who does the most damage.

This format encourages people to build armies, and to play, in a slightly different way. I'm fond of it.
That does sound like it would change the way it would be played by keeping score as you play. I like that concept a lot.
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

You can follow the link in my sig to my battle reports. The OP has an index; if you want to see how it plays, you can follow links to the various "multiplayer madness" events.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion