Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:24 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

I don't want to read A Long Way Gone anymore. Beah describes battles with too much detail. I don't need to know about where fragments of skulls land, or how blood rushes out of a body.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:35 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I'm currently reading "And Another Thing", the sixth book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Amongst Hitchhiker fans, the book is quite controversial since it's the first not written by the late Douglas Adams.

While the tone is certainly different then the other books, I find that as long as you keep your expectations in check and go in with an open mind, it makes for a fairly enjoyable read.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Finished Brandon Sanderson's _Hero of the Ages_ trilogy and came away impressed. What an incredibly different take on the Heroic Epic story format.

I was reading Sanderson's books in part to decide if I'd bother reading the new Jordan books he's helping to write and I am certainly convinced that he can successfully conclude what Jordan started. Frankly, I suspect the energy and perspective he'll bring to the series will allow it to be a touch more satisfying in its final resolution. And yes, I've now started _The Gathering Storm_.

~Aldin, who started reading that series back when the AOL board was the only online place to go to discuss it

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
I'm currently reading "And Another Thing", the sixth book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Amongst Hitchhiker fans, the book is quite controversial since it's the first not written by the late Douglas Adams.

While the tone is certainly different then the other books, I find that as long as you keep your expectations in check and go in with an open mind, it makes for a fairly enjoyable read.
I have been reluctant to pick this up. Maybe some day. I can't imagine it living up to Adams' legacy though.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
And yes, I've now startedfinished _The Gathering Storm_.
WooHoo! I am "all in" again for the Wheel of Time. So many satisfying resolutions to threads that have been dangling for a long time. By the way, I'm betting that Olver (I think that's right... the kid with Mat's group) is the current incarnation of Birgette's mate.

~Aldin, with speculative musings spinning through his skull

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They claimed it was a mystery book, but not really. I didn't feel like I was able to "solve" it alongside the character. In fact, the character didn't even solve it. The murderer just came out in the end and basically said, "I did it."

Don't get me wrong, it was still a good book, just not the mystery I had in mind.

7/10
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

I finished The Gathering Storm, I thought that Sanderson's work was good, and he had some nice refreshing endings to some plotlines.

Though there are certain characters you dont hear from that you wish you knew what was going on with them.

Wheel of Time spoilers?

I don't think its Olver, I remember reading somewhere where Jordan said Olver's too old. I actually think Mohegidan(SP?) did something to him while in the Dream World, because of the comment that she made to Birgette about making her weep for an eternity, perhaps balefired him while in the dream world.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post

See this book. It took me about 3 weeks to read this book, and it's only about 180 pages. This book though, I read in two days:

It's a book about time travel and a girl's life in New York City during the 80's. The author's writing style kept me intrigued, and I never felt like I had to turn one more page, to finish the book.

Not to mention, it won the Newberry Award.

Last edited by rednax; January 25th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Just finished Clive Cussler's "Arctic Drift", a Dirk Pitt novel about how he single-handedly solves global warming... ok, not true... he didn't do it single-handedly, Al Giordino had a part in it!

Now I'm starting the first book in Bruce Catton's American Civil War Centennial Trilogy: "The Coming Fury"

I've read his Army of the Potomac trilogy, his two-book effort on US Grant and "This Hallowed Ground", a 1-volume work covering the entire war, all of which I highly recommend!

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart

Currently reding this:

GREAT BOOK. GREAT AUTHOR. 'nuff said

My 2011 tourney record: 7-7
My 2010 tourney record: 7-9
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just started the Chronicles of Malus Darkblade.
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Spartacus Maximus is surprisingly tart

The Angels Command By Brian Jacques

Fish and custard

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books