Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM

primtim34 Woo who?
Dad looking for help and guidance

My sons have decided they would like to begin playing heroscape. They have watched and read multiple reviews and would like to get into heroscape. There is a problem with this though. I don't have the foggiest idea where to get them a beginner's set (if such a thing exists). On Amazon there is a Marvel beginner set (is that a good one to start?). Basically, I am looking for guidance on what I should get, where I should get it, and how much I should pay for it. Thanks for your help for this clueless but trying to be involved dad.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM

GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Dad looking for help and guidance

Personally, I would recommend either the Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set, or the Swarm of the Marro Master Set. And whatever you do DO NOT get stuff off amazon, the prices are extremely inflated. Look in the Trade Thread for some figures, but master set wise craigslist is cheapest, or there is always ebay. I wouldn't personally pl]ay over $60 for either set just as a high end figure.

I don't necessarily care for Marvel but its the cheapest of the four master sets. Also depending on their (kids) age that may be the best way to go. The biggest set is the Rise of the Valkyrie, its also the oldest and low end is $40 usually.

Good luck and hope your sons enjoy Scape!

~GT55

PS- Marvel is bout $30-$40

PPS- Welcome to the site!!!

Wright State Raider since 2014.
Trade List 8/15/14
Sculpt Polls!

Last edited by GTigers55; July 29th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by primtim34 View Post
My sons have decided they would like to begin playing heroscape. They have watched and read multiple reviews and would like to get into heroscape. There is a problem with this though. I don't have the foggiest idea where to get them a beginner's set (if such a thing exists). On Amazon there is a Marvel beginner set (is that a good one to start?). Basically, I am looking for guidance on what I should get, where I should get it, and how much I should pay for it. Thanks for your help for this clueless but trying to be involved dad.
Welcome to the site!

What you are looking for is a Master Set. The Rise of the Valkyrie Master set is the first and best master set, but it's hard to find. If you can find a complete one for $60, it's the best to get. (It has twice the terrain as the other two master sets, and the most figures, so it's worth the price. It orginally retailed for $40, so it's not a big price jump either.)

The other two master sets are Swarm of the Marro and Battle for the Underdark. In order they are the best to get as well, as the number of terrain and figures decreased with each release. You'd really want to get two of either one or one of each to have a decent number of figures to play with. More terrain is helpful to create more variety with your games. They also include common figures in the game. A good price for them is around $40 for each.

The Marvel set has the smallest amount of terrain, and only 10 Marvel figures. It's a fun set for sure, but not much in it. $20--30 is it's price line, I believe. But this one should be the last you get, as their is nowhere enough variety on it's own.

Buying some Heroscape Waves is also a great idea. Wave 1 is probably you best best, as it is very common and includes Robots, Romans, Vipers, and Orcs, plus more. Waves 11-13 are also common, and are repainted DnD figures. (They are fully compatible. You wouldn't know if they were DnD except for the DnD sign on the pack. You can't tell.) $35-40 per Wave is a good price, and you'll need at least 2 per wave since they are mostly common figures and worth their points if you field more than one.

www.auggiesgamesonline.com is the best site to buy Heroscape, since he is selling many Waves at $25 a piece, and he also sells figures per squad/hero, so you can buy the exact figure you want! Which is very nice. His shipping is also a flat $3.50, and free over $100. Buy all HeroScape from him.

You can also check this thread for more information about the HeroScape's figures and what is in each wave: Heroscape collection guide

If you have any other questions, just ask.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have some Marvel, Battle for the Underdark and one Swarm of the Marro Master set (no figures for Swarm though) for sale. If you are interested, I can sell them to you.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I posted this in another thread like this.

Quote:
If you want a decent amount of 'Scape to have fun with without breaking the bank, I'd go with:

Master Set 1 (RotV - Rise of the Valkyrie)
Fortress of the Archkyrie (FotA) x2
Wave 1 x1
Wave 11-13 x1

That's probably in the 175-225 dollar range. If you're willing to spend a bit more, get the second Master Set (SotM - Swarm of the Marro). That'll cost anywhere from 40-100 dollars -- Most likely around $60.

So...Right now you have 1 of waves 1, 11, 12, and 13, plus the first two Master Sets for around 225-275 dollars. I don't know how much you want to spend but if you're still willing to spend more, it's mostly up to you. A few different choices though:

A) Get multiple commons of the squad figures you already have. 2 of each will do. If you do this you will have more than enough to proxy, which I would highly recommend.
B) Get another SotM set (Or more Stingers and Drudge in general). The Drudge are fairly cheap and proxy for almost any squad (if you buy 2 more squads of them, you could proxy 2 for a 2 man squad, etc., even though they are only a 3 man squad. They are running at $2.50 to $5 on ebay as of now.
C) Get Orm's Return (cost $10-$15 and 2 RttFF (Road to the Forgotten Forrest (cost $40-$50 each).

Each one of these options are probably going to cost you anywhere from $75-$125

So for the final wrap up...You'll have:
  • 1 Rotv
  • 1 SotM
  • 2 FotA
  • 1 Wave 1 - Malliddon's Prophecy
  • 1 Wave 11 (D1) - Champions of the Forgotten Realms
  • 1 Wave 12 (D2) - Warriors of Eberron
  • 1 Wave 13 (D3) - Moltenclaw's Invasion
  • Then either one of the 3 options:
    • Multiples of Commons from Wave 1, 11, 12, and 13.
    • Another SotM master set (or more Drudge (for proxy) and Stingers in general)
    • Orm's Return and 2 RttFF

All for around (give or take) $400...all if the Price is Right. Seriously though, don't pay what you don't want to. These are only suggestions. However, it will provide you (and your sons) a fun gameplay experience. All of this is a lot of figures. And not a whole bunch of terrain (option C is best for more terrain). However it'll give you a variety of different scenarios to make (especially with the Fortresses, those are always fun) with a variety of figures.

As usual...Have fun, and happy 'Scaping,
HS2010
EDIT: Welcome to the site! That's awesome for you trying to be an involved father.My dad was never involved and my parents are divorced now. Oh well...life goes on.

Last edited by Sheep; July 29th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Another option that you might not normally think about is checking out a local thrift shop. I found two complete Rise of the Valkyrie master sets for less than $20 each at a couple of different places here (Salvation Army, Goodwill). Also, it is less and less likely, but within the past six or eight months, I have seen some Marvel sets on clearance at Walmart as well.

Good luck hunting, and welcome to the site!
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:58 PM

primtim34 Woo who?

Wow....sounds like a lot. To start, it just seems like the Valkyrie master set is the way to go. I live in a pretty remote area so goodwill might be tough...but I can always check I suppose. I will also ask if you guys can point me in a decent direction...that would be helpful. They bought a bunch of heroclix with their own money a while ago, but it was too complicated for their liking. I assume this is "easier"? Thanks again.
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:17 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Wow....sounds like a lot. To start, it just seems like the Valkyrie master set is the way to go. I live in a pretty remote area so goodwill might be tough...but I can always check I suppose. I will also ask if you guys can point me in a decent direction...that would be helpful. They bought a bunch of heroclix with their own money a while ago, but it was too complicated for their liking. I assume this is "easier"? Thanks again.
Definitely easier, at least, the actual game mechanics. The abilities and strategies might get more difficult, but it's much easier to catch on with.

And if you keep the 'Clix figures, you can always turn them into customs! Or print out our C3G cards.
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker Vydar knows what's in an order marker

Check your inbox. I sent you a PM.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello Primitim,

I've been both playing and selling Scape now for a few years and fairly well known on this board. When Scape was cancelled I wanted to create a product bundle that would be a good entry level item for new people since it's no longer available in stores. We ONLY have these on our Ebay store and not on our Webstore because we didn't think we'd make new customer there but if you wanted the Ebay set we put together outside of ebay through our webstore we can knock off $10 (the fees we save).

Here is the Ebay ad. As it states it's basically a ROTV master set with a few minor substitutions and you get our Base level Mat. This might not mean much to you as you likely don't understand what a base mat is but it pretty much doubles the amount of terrain hexes you have to work with. Anyway, feel free to check it out and contact me through the message system if you want more details or prefer to go outside ebay (and save the $10)!

Heroscape MASTER STARTER SET everything needed to start Heroscape! LOW SHIP

PS, I play with my 14 yr old son at our FLGS....it's a great bonding experience and keeps him surround by a "crowd" of like minded peeps that is safe though he roflstomps me in the game.

.....Andrew

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
If you just want to play and have some fun, a single Rise of the Valkyrie worked for several years for me, so that should be all you need to play with your kids.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM

puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby! puzzlemonkey rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
If you just want to play and have some fun, a single Rise of the Valkyrie worked for several years for me, so that should be all you need to play with your kids.
Yes. Remember, you're among zealots here. One Rise of the Valkyrie was all people had to play when the game started, and it's enough to have fun. When you get hooked, well, then you can think about more. It's like LEGO. Having tons of sets lets you do some crazy amazing stuff, but that first set you get is still plenty fun to play with!
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM

primtim34 Woo who?

I was able to get some figures locally that I understand are of enough value to trade for a valkyrie master set. Just listed it in the trade thread http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=11531

Hope that it is okay to post that thread there and hoping this works out okay. Thanks for your help!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion