Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 5th, 2016, 12:42 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
If you think it is fun now, wait until the expansion comes out.
Expansion...? WHAT EXPANSION??? Is it going to be called "Dead of Spring," or maybe "Spring Time in Zombieland?" Hmmm, that sound to me like a song cue.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 5th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Tonight I played:

Between Two Cities - had played this on Saturday and got to play it again tonight. Very quick city building game that accommodates 3-7 players and only takes 15 to 20 minutes. It's kind a cross between Suburbia and 7 Wonders. A couple of us enjoyed it enough to put in an order for it with a guy ordering stuff. $20 and we'll worth it. Highly recommended.

Finally got to try Blood Rage also tonight. @chas , this was a fun game. I had a huge lead for most of the game, but only got the end game +20 points for rage track maxed out, where as one other guy had 2 maxed and another guy had all 3 maxed for +60 points. I only got 22 points for my final quest, while one guy got 2 quests and the other got 3 plus a lot for bringing Fenris to the place where he had 3 other guys to get the Ragnorak to that spot and score a lot of points. The 4th player had a pretty rough game.

Scores were:
Chris 141 (owner of the game)
Rob 125
Me 117
Kirby 59

Fun game!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Glad you liked it, and thanks for the photo! The amazing art on the components only hints at the wonders of the actual game play involved.

I've reserved my comments on Blood Rage, since I've only played my copy once (4 Players), but I've solitaired it with 2, 3, and am currently doing 5 (!), while hoping to play it again with 4 live players today after Scaping and many times more. Its a very entertaining game, and I'm learning all kinds of subtleties about using the different cards while getting the rules down, and 'inventing' new successful combination maneuvers! You wouldn't think it would be good solitaire, but I'm loving it.

Currently I'm using the Kickstarter Exclusive Monsters that are different, the Five Player Expansion (of course), and Gods of Asgard. The only thing I haven't gotten yet but will have soon is Mystics of Midgard, whose delivery was delayed (must be Loki).

I'm also learning that some of the cards have subtle advantages that you don't notice for a while, since you're busy at first throwing giant monsters on the board and using other more obvious cards. Its one of those designs that's simple to learn but hard to master.

There is a lot more to say about this wonderful game, and even more discussion with folks who have tried it out. Although it works fine with two players, the more you have, the more wacky cards drop into play, so solitairing the five player has introduced me to cards mankind was not meant to know about!

Unless its the end of the Universe...then anything goes.

In a nutshell, you have to balance the initial joint card drafting rounds with getting VPs (Glory Points) through board entry, position and battle, completing quests, and ramping up your three clan stats for playing advantages and endgame bonuses. You also have to balance and play three different kinds of cards (Battle, Upgrades, and Quests) and develop you Clan's assets over Three Ages, as the cards become more and more powerful.

There are many different winning strategies, but you have to capitalize on what the gods give you, and they can be fickle. Hmmm...

"You got to know when to hold 'em; know when to fold em
Know when to walk away; know when to run"
--Kenny Rogers, The Gambler

Last edited by chas; January 5th, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yep, certainly a lot of cool stuff going on in the game. Even subtle things like bluffing and using upgrade or monster cards during battle instead of a battle card. Sometimes you want to lose and get your guys to Valhalla

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I also backed the KS for Blood Rage, we have played it several times now. Definitely a fun game. The passing the cards mechanic is really neat. It is hard to pick just one card sometimes, especially knowing that your opponent will then be getting the ones you passed up on.
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:04 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Wait, you can hold rescued Survivors in your hand?!? My friends and I always thought that was an automatic card.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Yeah, thus is the nature of these type of games with this card drafting mecahanic, lots of tough choices of what cards to keep, vs what cards to pass to your opponent.

Old January 5th, 2016, 03:29 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

There is so much that could be discussed on almost every aspect of BR! Just with the Battle Card mechanism alone, there are some that let you add on as a second card, the one that negates their value, one their texts, or the god Heimdal that has you play them one at a time instead! Yikes!!!
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Wait, you can hold rescued Survivors in your hand?!? My friends and I always thought that was an automatic card.
Not an automatic thing. Just like every other card in the piles, they go into your hand until you want to play them (or give them to another player). The fact that they are an "EVENT" card just means that they do not go into the Waste pile when played.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Yep, certainly a lot of cool stuff going on in the game. Even subtle things like bluffing and using upgrade or monster cards during battle instead of a battle card. Sometimes you want to lose and get your guys to Valhalla
Do they wake up on an HS BoV and continue fighting . . . he he he

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:45 AM

Just had a great first five player game of Blood Rage last night with the NYCG4, after our two regular Superscape games (see our thread as usual on General Discussion). Amazingly, a guy who wants to organize a local board game group here at my Co-op development had just sent out his internet trial balloon post about doing that on our local network. He'd recently gotten the game but hadn't tried it yet! So he actually came over on my email reply and invitation to both our surprises after he got home from work on the very same day to meet us in person and play his first game, which was also that of Sherman Davies and Kolakoski![/B] Talk about good timing. As usual, everyone who plays BR loves it. Now we've got two new local board gaming pals who have played Blood Rage as their intro into gaming here in Brooklyn at what K. calls my 'Game Palace' aka messy mancave.

Taeblewalker is staying over for more Blood Rage action today. I'm throwing in Gods of Asgard and should be getting Mystics of Midgard Sunday, so I'll be adding comments on these two modules to my draft game review for bgg, which should be up in a week or so. Once you play an intro game, adding the rest of the stuff is very easy, although most reviewers so far are playing without them.

PS: I almost came in second, but had to settle for third, after leading almost the whole game as the most experienced player. These guys learn fast...
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Prickly Cactus

Sounds like me Chas, led most of the game only to come in 3rd.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games