Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Dusty27 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Kickstarer Laser Cut Terrain *Uber cool*

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...a?ref=category

Drool!

I can't wait to get home and order some. Why didn't anyone think of this sooner?
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Kickstarer Laser Cut Terrain *Uber cool*

He needs to heroscape hex specifications.
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
He needs to heroscape hex specifications.
If he's smart he'll stay away from doing so. Litko used to have heroscape hexes but pulled them because Hasbro insisted. They have been pretty protective of the interlocking method. Another interlocking hex terrain of the same size MIGHT get away with it but it would have to be a new way of locking together.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:36 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I didn't mean he should make actual hexes. Just make stuff that fits on one of our hex boards nicely with a correctly sized hex pattern on the floor.
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM

Ghostship is surprisingly tart

How do the guys who make Lego compatible blocks get away with it?
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostship View Post
How do the guys who make Lego compatible blocks get away with it?
The functional design of the basic brick is considered a matter of patent rather than trademark law, and all relevant LEGO patents have expired. Hasbro's patent will expire though design patents last 14 years from the date granted so I would guess another 8 years or so.

Last edited by robbdaman; February 25th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Ghostship is surprisingly tart

Fundamentally it's a dovetail joint.
I have no real understanding of patent law. Wouldn't there be some kind of allowance for the dovetail having been in use for centuries?

I would expect the terrain type, distinctive sculpted texture, and the printed pattern to be all very protectable. I have less of that expectation about the dovetail joint.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM

For that specific design no, its specific for the product Heroscape. Another design could be made as I said before but it could not interlock to Heroscape terrain without violating the patent. Once that patent expires though it'll be free game as there is precedent with Megablok and Lego.

Old February 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

To be patentable (I have 7 patents) the idea must meet two requirements (there really are more requirements...for example, it has to be producible. So I can't go patent the idea for warp speed 9 hyperdrive engines because I can't produce them):

1. The idea has to be novel when applied to the field in question.
2. The idea cannot be obvious.

So a dovetail joint apparently had not been used in wargame toy boardgames before. The patent office has reviewers that are organized by field of study and are supposedly experts. So the guys that work on patents for boardgames are supposedly experts in the field of boardgames, while the guys who work on patents for automotive engines are supposedly...well you get the idea. The problem is that, despite being experts, the patent clerks don't always correctly identify patent claims that have either already been patented or are not really patentable (ie - they are not novel or are obvious).

This is why patent lawyers have jobs, to argue with the patent clerks over patent claims and patentability, prepare the applications, etc. I think it's pretty boring stuff...really hard to read patents without falling asleep. But I'm not a lawyer, I'm an engineer...I guess a lawyer might think differently.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM

samthegoat knows what's in an order marker samthegoat knows what's in an order marker

When will these be available?
And when they are, how much will they be?
if they're too expensive, I may make my own on my schools laser cutter.
samthegoat
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Maybe a bit beyond what you may desire, but there are too companies that create terrain for this now.

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/ Has some great items. I recently ordered a lot of their city block set for my ATZ campaign. Check out their System infinity for some Sci Fi terrain that may have uses in Heroscape.

Also check Demo's Laser Cut Design More focus on buildings there, but they have some terrain items that could work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles