Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old April 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM

Braxev has disabled reputation
Braxev's Maps

Ruin

Players: 2
Sets: 1 each of RoTV, SoTM, RtFF
Glyphs: Not Required, Astrid and Gerda can be replaced with the attack glyphs for Common and Unique only for different focus on areas of the map.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=204

Shifting Symmetry

Sets: 1 ROTV

An experiment in psuedo-symmetry. Used One ROTV Master Set.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=230

Tricky Bog

Required: One SoTM Master Set
Special: None

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=285

Last edited by Braxev; April 18th, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Adding Maps
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Re: Braxev's Maps

File now available for download. Sorry.

Old April 15th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Star Wolf is surprisingly tart

Nice map. What does the Marro hive do? Is it just a los blocker in this game?

Star Wolf's scenarios

Q9-"I'm poor, I need more points. Please won't you help me?"

Taelord-"BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........................NO!"
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks. And yeah, it's just a LOS blocker. It's a "Dead" Marro Hive.

Old April 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice!

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Your map looks really good! I like it a lot .
There are a few things though. First there is at least one glyph that is not at the same distance from the starting zones, so one side will be more advantage than the other. It also looks to me that one glyph is on the road. That basically negates the effect of the road bonus because a figure must stop if it steps on a glyph. But that may be your intention.
Have you playtested this map? Let me know how it goes (went). Thanks !

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM

I actually did playtest this a few times, but only against one person so I can't really claim it was very "varied" testing, and most of it was glyphless because my friend does not very much like glyphs, which changes the map somewhat.

I'm reluctant to explain the map because I believe it should stand on its own, but essentially the glyph in the road IS supposed to slow down the "charge" in that central section there, and the glyph behind the tree (10 move from one side, 12-13 from the other) is simply because making it equally-available to both sides would mean pushing it to be easily shot at by Red but protected via tree from Blue. I could add two single-hex grass to slow down Blue getting to it. What do you think?

The Astrid glyph was more of a joke to me the one time we played with it. It's ridiculously undefendable. If I revise the map, I'd remove it.

Thanks!

Old April 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxev View Post
I actually did playtest this a few times, but only against one person so I can't really claim it was very "varied" testing, and most of it was glyphless because my friend does not very much like glyphs, which changes the map somewhat.

I'm reluctant to explain the map because I believe it should stand on its own, but essentially the glyph in the road IS supposed to slow down the "charge" in that central section there, and the glyph behind the tree (10 move from one side, 12-13 from the other) is simply because making it equally-available to both sides would mean pushing it to be easily shot at by Red but protected via tree from Blue. I could add two single-hex grass to slow down Blue getting to it. What do you think?

The Astrid glyph was more of a joke to me the one time we played with it. It's ridiculously undefendable. If I revise the map, I'd remove it.

Thanks!
- Playing with or without glyphs could change the game play a lot! There could be area that would never see played if a glyph were not there.

- I would do that. IMHO, unless there is a really good reason, glyphs should be equally accessible by both walking and flying from both starting zones.

- I like Attack +1 glyph that is undefendable very much. That forces the players to decide their moves more strategically.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post

- I would do that. IMHO, unless there is a really good reason, glyphs should be equally accessible by both walking and flying from both starting zones.

Thanks again for your comments- I discovered a solution that meant not having to change the layout at all. I shifted one of the start zones for Blue up north, so now it's 9-9 for flyers to get to that glyph and 12-12 for land-lubbers to get there on both sides.

I really must thank whomever is responsible for the new download section, as being able to edit the file to replace the pdf with the new one (massively adjusted as it is) is really cool.

Old April 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Shifting Symmetry

An experiment in psuedo-symmetry. Used One ROTV Master Set.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=230

This map was purely an experiment in figuring out psuedo-symmetrical maps.

Does less ability to hide make up for a high ground "on your side"? I didn't think so, so I also made it so that the Blue side also has it's "side-highs" connected directly to the "top" of the map (the top of the sand beaches), which means Red needs extra movement to avoid being shot down at. Does it work?

As a kind of open question, what do YOU think makes psuedo-symmetry work?

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think you're on the right track. Pseudo-symmetry is very hard to pull off. So hard in fact that I tend to shy away from it since you really have to weight out the pros and cons which vary with each type of army. You get into the "Well I have a Q9 army, so I'd rather have that side." and "Oh but I have a swarm army so I'd much rather have thatside so let's roll off." So ya, symmetry eliminates players preferring one side because it may suit their army better (or so they think). But as I said, I think you're doing a good job of looking at all the perspectives. "Shifting Symmetry" has some really interesting subtleties.
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks, Velenne! It's heartening to hear such kind words from a BoV-er as yourself.

Tricky Bog

Required: One SoTM Master Set
Special: None

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=285

Please avoid knocking this map over and crushing the little vikings.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios