Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:53 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker
Monsterpocalypse!

I searched and didn't find a thread for this so I decided to make one and see how it goes.

So far I have 2 starter sets and 6 monster boosters from Series 1.

My monster I have are 4x Zor-Maxim, 2x Ares Mothership, Defender X, and Armodax. I e-mailed Privateer Press about the doubles because the guy who works at the store where I bought them told me to do so if I got ANY doubles at all.

So what do you guys have in your collections and have you had any problems?

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by habs1009; August 5th, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Monsterpocalypse

Not sure why the guy at the store would have you email PP about doubles. The blind purchase boosters are blind purchase. Doubles are kind of expected. Of course, the 100% useless rate of double monsters is why MonPoc didn't work very well as a blind purchase game.

Personally, I've got everything in the game except the Mega/Quantum forms and Character Units. They're just a little too chasey for my tastes. I bought most everything buy the case because I wasn't interested in the blind purchase thing.

As for problems, I've had a few mispacked or broken figures. I got an Ares Mothership with 2 hyper forms and no alpha, and a Zor-Maxim with a hyper form and a plastic cube. PP has fixed every problem I've encountered with their products (both MonPoc and Warmachine) quite well in my experience.
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:10 AM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Monsterpocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Not sure why the guy at the store would have you email PP about doubles. The blind purchase boosters are blind purchase. Doubles are kind of expected. Of course, the 100% useless rate of double monsters is why MonPoc didn't work very well as a blind purchase game.

Personally, I've got everything in the game except the Mega/Quantum forms and Character Units. They're just a little too chasey for my tastes. I bought most everything buy the case because I wasn't interested in the blind purchase thing.

As for problems, I've had a few mispacked or broken figures. I got an Ares Mothership with 2 hyper forms and no alpha, and a Zor-Maxim with a hyper form and a plastic cube. PP has fixed every problem I've encountered with their products (both MonPoc and Warmachine) quite well in my experience.
Ok, I just think the blind purchase thing is really stupid. How did you get yours?

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:48 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Monsterpocalypse!

I bought everything in full cases. Cases were packaged with 1 of each figure per case. So, if for example, I bought the I Chomp NY case, I got each of the 12 monsters in the set with no duplicates. It's not cheap by any means, but its a good way to get "everything".

If you haven't seen the news, PP has given up on the Blind Purchase model. The latest set, DMZ, is a repackaging of I Chomp NY and All Your Base by faction with all the figures from that faction in each box. Definitely the way to go if you're new to the game.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I bought everything in full cases. Cases were packaged with 1 of each figure per case. So, if for example, I bought the I Chomp NY case, I got each of the 12 monsters in the set with no duplicates. It's not cheap by any means, but its a good way to get "everything".

If you haven't seen the news, PP has given up on the Blind Purchase model. The latest set, DMZ, is a repackaging of I Chomp NY and All Your Base by faction with all the figures from that faction in each box. Definitely the way to go if you're new to the game.
I did a Monpoc demo: How to Train your Monster at Gencon on Thursday morning and had so much fun. The game is a hot. I threw another monster through a building which then exploded and that monster then body slammed my monster into the flames! So cool.

ONLY because they are switching over to non-random packs did I even demo the game, and ONLY because of that did I pick up the 2 faction starter box. Unfortunately at gencon it was $50.

Also unfortunately at gencon the faction boxes with 25 units/monters were $40 so it appears it will be pretty expensive to get much further into.

Monpoc series 2: I Chomp NY 15ct cases are $60 at Miniature Market so I'm half tempted to order that and get a bunch of stuff.

Very fun game, though I need to find a list somewhere that shows all the monsters/units/buildings.

- Raider30
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
regurgitation cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider30 View Post
Quote:

I did a Monpoc demo: How to Train your Monster at Gencon on Thursday morning and had so much fun. The game is a hot. I threw another monster through a building which then exploded and that monster then body slammed my monster into the flames! So cool.

ONLY because they are switching over to non-random packs did I even demo the game, and ONLY because of that did I pick up the 2 faction starter box. Unfortunately at gencon it was $50.

Also unfortunately at gencon the faction boxes with 25 units/monters were $40 so it appears it will be pretty expensive to get much further into.

Monpoc series 2: I Chomp NY 15ct cases are $60 at Miniature Market so I'm half tempted to order that and get a bunch of stuff.

Very fun game, though I need to find a list somewhere that shows all the monsters/units/buildings.

- Raider30
Hmm.... Privateer Press used to have a full gallery on their site. This guy here makes some amazing reference cards for the game though. You can browse through factions with them:

http://gameknave.com/monpoc

Also, keep in mind that the DMZ faction boxes get you EVERY figure released for a specific faction in both I Chomp NY and All Your Base. The 2 player starter also comes with 1 of 2 monsters from Rise and EVERY building and unit from the Rise set for the 2 factions you get in the starter. A 2 player starter + 2 DMZ boxes gets you every single figure from a faction ever released except one monster that you can probably get fairly easily as a single.

Another bit of advice is that you really shouldn't invest too heavily in monsters at first. One monster will fill your army needs, but you need a bunch of units and buildings to run a full game. The I Chomp NY case is a fantastic deal, but know you're just getting 2 monsters from every faction and 6 specific buildings from that buy. You won't have any of the units you need for the game.

If you're a completionist who needs to own EVERYTHING (guilty ) than the cases are probably a good deal. If you just want a couple factions, the starters and DMZ expansions are a better way to go, IMO.
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
...IS Mediocre

hoju511 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider30 View Post

- Raider30
This is the link I use. Some great info can be found here.

I used the link Eclipse posted to make some cheat cards. That has helped a ton. Having the cards make the game a little more friendly to teach new players.

EDIT: Yes, buy units, units, and more units. Then get buildings by the truck load. I love my monsters, but with out anything to smash, crush, fling, and burn.... whats the point?
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM

Maziken is surprisingly tart

So has this game gone away from the blind purchase now?
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
...IS Mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maziken View Post
So has this game gone away from the blind purchase now?
Yes and no.
All of the first 6 factions can be bought by the faction. The Battel Box includes two complet factions for the Rise series. As to what two factions you get, that is still random.
The DMZ set lets you buy the faction you want from the the I Chomp NY and All your Base series.

As for the second 6 factions from the Now and Big in Japan series, they are still a blind purchase.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM

How do you tell which faction the DMZ contains? It still looks like it is a blind purchase on that one.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
...IS Mediocre

I have not yet seen one of the DMZ boxes at a FLGS in my area yet, but some online stores are selling by faction. Link They are listed at the bottom of the page.

I couldn't tell you if the box is marked as to the faction.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM

Ah, thank you for that! So I guess my next question is how much fun is the game? Is it a random dice game with a little strategy in terms of "troop movement"?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games