Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
Superstrength - Should it be Marvel-only?

I was thinking about Superstrength and wondering if it would break the game for a classic figure to be released with the ability. It probably won't happen, seeing as even Krug doesn't have it; and if he can take regular falling damage, who should be exempt? Not that it makes any more sense that Spider-Man can get away from a regular or major fall unscathed while the troll can't.

I've been looking into reading the Hellboy comics and what with the new movie it seemed like a good time to make a custom HS hero with the Horrorclix figure (or Heroclix, whichever looks better and is more to the appropriate scale). The only thing is he should have Superstrength, his durability and brute power being one of his best attributes; I'm sure he would inflict massive damage on the Fortress Door, moreso than an ordinary medium that is. Only thing is I want him to be classic-style, affiliated with Vydar, and not part of the Marvel set; he's not canon either way, I'd just like to play with Hellboy.

So yeah, Hellboy customs aside, what do you think of classic 'Scape units getting Superstrength? Would it be OK or would it upset the balance of things?
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Superstrength - Should it be Marvel-only?

Imagine if a classic figure came out with the following powers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelled-out super strength
LAND ON FEET
Whatsisface never takes falling damage. Extreme falls still apply.

UTGAR'S RAGE
Whatsisface's attack ignores all automatic shields of destructible objects.
I don't know about you, but I don't see anything at all to complain about there. Maybe they shouldn't use the symbol itself, because the classic rulebook doesn't explain what it means, but the powers themselves would work just fine.

Hellboy is a great candidate for super strength, what with the way he's falling through a collapsing stone floor every other page. If he could get killed in a fall, it would have happened by now. I say go for it!
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM

XacXado has disabled reputation

Hercules (Heracles) would be the perfect super strength candidate for Classic Heroscape.
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XacXado View Post
Hercules (Heracles) would be the perfect super strength candidate for Classic Heroscape.
Ooh, that would indeed be a good piece! We might have to run that by the suggestions thread. The only problem is he might not make it since he's a fictional demi-god and they seem to really stress the Earth in this continuity being the real, factual planet Earth.

Sorry about misplacing this one, by the way; it was hard to tell whether it would count as an Official Units question or not.

As for customs, I'd suggest just copy & pasting the S symbol onto your card to save space and simplicity, until an official ruling says otherwise. It shouldn't really matter.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And he's also a perfect super strength candidate for MarvelScape.

For an ability, I think it would be fine. But putting the symbol on a Classic card would be... odd. Just write it all out and it would work.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post

For an ability, I think it would be fine. But putting the symbol on a Classic card would be... odd. Just write it all out and it would work.
I like RD's idea for abilities.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM

I'd say just make it one ability, call it Superstrength. It would save room and that way my guy will have 3 abilities instead of 4 (though 4 is the max, I'm pretty sure there is at least one official unit with 4 abilities). Frankly, I wish Superstrength was just an ability and not a special symbol deal on the Marvel cards that you have to reference to rulebook to learn about.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post

Ooh, that would indeed be a good piece! We might have to run that by the suggestions thread. The only problem is he might not make it since he's a fictional demi-god and they seem to really stress the Earth in this continuity being the real, factual planet Earth.

Elves? Robots? Demons? Dragons? Not sure i am following the "factual planet Earth" statement. What do you mean by that?
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Elves? Robots? Demons? Dragons? Not sure i am following the "factual planet Earth" statement. What do you mean by that?
The elves, soulborgs, marro and such are from other planets; they're aliens. Dragons and oni appear, but they're also from other planets, though their designs are based off real-world mythology. All the figures that come from Earth, however, are historical figures. Though sometimes inaccurate (the real Sacred Band dressed more like Frank Miller's Spartans, and they weren't Parmenio's personal army), they're always realistic. There has yet to be a magical or undead being in Heroscape that comes from planet Earth. A robot from the future is possible, something from Agent Carr's time or further, but there likely won't be any demi-gods, wizards, or zombies (that didn't stop me from calling the Headless Horseman an Undead from Earth, but that's not an official unit).

Of course, Marvelscape is a different story.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:

On the back of every figures card is their place of origin, and all the figures said to come from Earth are from the "factual planet Earth," whereas the robots are from Alpha Prime, the Dragons are from Icaria, etc.

Edit: Blackrock beat me to it.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old July 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM

OK, here's what I have for a Classic-sytle Superstrength ability:

SUPERSTRENGTH
[unit] does not take damage from falling or major falling, but you must still roll for damage from extreme falling. If [unit] is attacking a destructible object, ignore any abilities that would give the destructible object automatic shields.

I also have one more question, seeing as my instruction books are buried in a box in a drawer somewhere and it would be a pain to fish them out. What are the specs on major and extreme falling? I know they're 2 and 3 dice respectively, but what is the height requirement for a cliff to judge fall severity? All I know is that falling starts at a cliff that's equal to or higher than the figure jumping off.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:

The elves, soulborgs, marro and such are from other planets; they're aliens.
i never even paid attention to that side of Heroscape before, as i considered it all a fantasy game. i always looked at the Elves and Dragons as part of the Medieval or Oriental motif. Looking at the cards now i can see how each group does come from specific worlds... i will now take closer looks at that in the future. Maybe i will even run a game based solely on the world they hail from.

So, without hijacking your thread too much, wouldn't Hercules fit into maybe the Feyland world? Or where could a character like his fit in classic Heroscape?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion