Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Tul-Bak-Ra and Dividers Preview Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar View Post
I'm wondering why the Hero figure with the most tactical applications since Q9 has the worst sculpt in the Heroscape game system? coincidences?
What do you think the sculptor felt when he composed this piece? What do you think he meant to convey? Why do you think it is the way it is?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Ummm, maybe the sculptor liked executioners with really big shoulder pads?
That's what Tul-Bak-Ra looks like to me.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Like I just said in the general Wave 9 thread, Tul-Bak-Ra looks amazingly like an Omnicron Sniper. Perhaps he was genetically fused with one of them?

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was thinking about bad match ups for our new hero. I think that the 4th would be a particularly bad match up for him. His best strategy would be to stay on the perimeter and pick away at the 4th. If he teleported into a bunch of them, wait then fire would take him out. Even though he would have summoned some friends along, they would be victims of wait then fire as well.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Hal0fan117 is surprisingly tart

Tul Bak Ra reminds me of him ^^^

I don't know why everybody hates his sculpt. I know I'll have a custom at my house where he has custom katanas on his back. He looks a bit bulkier for a guy focused on mind, but I still think he looks cool.

Anybody with me? Or am I alone in a sea of Tul Bak Ra sculpt haters?

2013, Still alive.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I like it, but it is somewhat strange.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
I was thinking about bad match ups for our new hero. I think that the 4th would be a particularly bad match up for him. His best strategy would be to stay on the perimeter and pick away at the 4th. If he teleported into a bunch of them, wait then fire would take him out. Even though he would have summoned some friends along, they would be victims of wait then fire as well.
Like Cyprien, Gladiatrons probably mess him up too. He can't teleport out of cyberclaw, and would likely need to get in clamp range to hurt them.

But they mess up pretty much any hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
The reason Tul-Bak-Ra or "Toolbox" as we affectinately call him looks so different is that he is from a different period. Much like SGT Drake and the Romans are very different so is Toolbox...he is from a distant future than his other Marro Cousins.
I almost commented on the sculpt myself. I was expecting him to be bigger and uglier, much uglier. So does truth have the bios on these previews? I'd really like to see them.

Yes I do, but I think we'll all have to wait and see if Wizards puts them up when the figures release.

On another note these guys were designed by me. The first official units, that I've had a full hand in designing, to see the light of day. Their sculpts were already picked out for Wave 9 when Wizards took over, but the cards had not been designed yet so I got the job. The sculpts looked like marro... except different... so I went with a whole evolved marro from the future of Marr angle with them.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM

spacemonkeymafia has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit94 View Post
Mobility-
Overall-While Tul-Bak-Ra is a bit more mobile then Cyprien, it's not really enough to make a difference, as there so close.
You're kidding right? extra 2 move AND a 3 range special attack is "not really enough to make a difference?" TBR ftw, my friend.

Quote:
Offense-
Overall- Cyprien is by far stronger offensively. Chilling touch is incredibly powerful, and Cyprien can do damage twice per turn, while Tul-Bak-Ra can only do damage once per turn. Although Cyprien is weak against Soulborgs, he still has a lot more power then Tul-Bak-Ra.
On their own, in a vacuum sealed game, under ideal conditions, yes Cyprien can do more damage straight up. Hmmm, so can Jotun, or angry Krug or a whole host of other figures. This gives Cyprien the edge in hero killing, except one fatal flaw...Q9. Killing heroes is great but the metagame these days is still about killing Q9 and while Cyprien assassinating heroes is nice, even cute one might say, failing to kill Q9 can usually be followed up with failing to win the game.

Quote:
Defense
Overall-Cyprien has better defense then Tul-Bak-Ra. While they have the same base stats, Cyprien can heal himself, which is huge. Although Tul-Bak-Ra can summon Marro when he is damaged, the Marro won't stay around long enough to really help.
Through the eyes of hero assassination, I see the defenses as equal, the Life drain doesn't kick in til the assassins target is dead. At the end of the kill, Cyprien has one extra life whereas TBR has 0-5 buddies backing him up. This game is still squadscape so regardless of how much people but emphasis on regaining life, having multiple squad members to spread the pain will more often lead to victory.

Quote:
Cyprien is just a way better unit then Tul-Bak-Ra. While Tul-Bak-Ra is better against Q9, Q10, and Glad/Blasts, Cyprien is better against everything else.
In conclusion, Cyprien may kill a hero faster but in my experience he falls right after. In case of TBR, he will likely fall after the kill as well, but leaves behind a host squadies to finish off the resistance. This argument doesn't address the fact that he also costs 20 points less (70 if you want to max his potential and make him more fragile) which means he has a better chance hitting his RoI. As I said before, TBR ftw, my friend.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
On another note these guys were designed by me. The first official units, that I've had a full hand in designing, to see the light of day. Their sculpts were already picked out for Wave 9 when Wizards took over, but the cards had not been designed yet so I got the job. The sculpts looked like marro... except different... so I went with a whole evolved marro from the future of Marr angle with them.
Very well done!
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Very well done!
Well those silly shoulder pads have got to have some meaning... anyway congratulations on a superb unit truth

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
The reason Tul-Bak-Ra or "Toolbox" as we affectinately call him looks so different is that he is from a different period. Much like SGT Drake and the Romans are very different so is Toolbox...he is from a distant future than his other Marro Cousins.
I almost commented on the sculpt myself. I was expecting him to be bigger and uglier, much uglier. So does truth have the bios on these previews? I'd really like to see them.

Yes I do, but I think we'll all have to wait and see if Wizards puts them up when the figures release.

They certainly seemed well-balanced and interesting on paper, so an early "well done" is in order!

It's really interesting that the sculpts were done before card design. Is that usually how it works?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units