Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Can you choose to release an enemy figure from the cyberclaw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by this thread's first post
Are the Gladiatrons also stuck in the engagement because of Cyberclaw?
No. Cyberclaw only affects figures that are engaged to a Gladiatron. Once any opponent's figures enter a space
adjacent to a Gladiatron, they cannot move. That includes movements around the Gladiatron while still
staying engaged. However, the Gladiatrons can leave the engagement if they choose to. On a side note; if 2
opposing sides both have figures with Cyberclaw, they would lock each other down. (Hasbro FAQ)
This seems to indicate that the Gladiatrons can voluntarily release the cyberclaw.
No it doesn't. Cyberclaw says the opponent's figure can't move. It never once places a restriction on the Glad's own movement. Moving the Glad away has nothing to do with whether or not you're "releasing" the Cyberclaw. We'd need a ruling about whether or not Cyberclaw is optional if you were able to voluntarily release it.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

tsukifu has disabled reputation
My guess is it's optional, but I went ahead and submitted it--it's come up for debate several times now so we might as well see what they say.

Anyway...I'm feelin' like pie.
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukifu
My guess is it's optional, but I went ahead and submitted it--it's come up for debate several times now so we might as well see what they say.
I think so too, but it's good to know for sure these days, because it's already come up more than once on the Book of Marcu thread.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
This never occurred to me before, but when Cyberclaw states that "Figures affected by Cyberclaw cannot be moved...", what effect does that have on special powers that mention movement in their descriptions?

For instance, Cyprien Esenwein's Life Drain uses the wording "after moving and before attacking..." as a condition of using his power. If he cannot move, can he still use the power?

I understand that, under normal circumstances, someone may choose to move zero spaces, and that that still counts as moving for purposes of using powers-- but this is a wording that specifically eliminates the ability of someone to move at all.

I'm not trying to be a rules lawyer, and I've never used the power this way, but it's an interpretation that seems like it could be valid, and it would make the gladiatrons a smidgeon more valuable, particularly with the rise of the vampires.

Any thoughts?
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
CYBERCLAW IS OPTIONAL!
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
These guys will be Isamu's kryptonite. Not that a 10 point figure really NEEDS kryptonite.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
CYBERCLAW IS OPTIONAL!
Thanks. That was the answer I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie
These guys will be Isamu's kryptonite. Not that a 10 point figure really NEEDS kryptonite.
Actually, I'm looking forward to bringing these guys against any of the high-move Marvel figures.
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb
This never occurred to me before, but when Cyberclaw states that "Figures affected by Cyberclaw cannot be moved...", what effect does that have on special powers that mention movement in their descriptions?

For instance, Cyprien Esenwein's Life Drain uses the wording "after moving and before attacking..." as a condition of using his power. If he cannot move, can he still use the power?

I understand that, under normal circumstances, someone may choose to move zero spaces, and that that still counts as moving for purposes of using powers-- but this is a wording that specifically eliminates the ability of someone to move at all.

I'm not trying to be a rules lawyer, and I've never used the power this way, but it's an interpretation that seems like it could be valid, and it would make the gladiatrons a smidgeon more valuable, particularly with the rise of the vampires.

Any thoughts?
No, it doesn't matter whether you choose not to move or are unable to move. The phrases "after moving," "before attacking," etc, simply refer to phases of your turn, not actual actions. There could be other reasons besides Cyberclaw that a figure may be unable to move, and none of those would negate any "after moving" powers either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
CYBERCLAW IS OPTIONAL!
It should be, yes.

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Okay, I sent this question in to WotC and got the following response. They didn'ty understand the question the first time around, but I asked again. My guess is this will stir up more debate about WotcC than the Gladiatrons themselves, but here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul at WotC
Thanks for the quick answers. We didn't quite get to what I was asking about Cyberclaw, though.

What I'm asking is: is Cyberclaw *mandatory* or *optional*?

In other words, if an opponent's figure moves next to my Gladiatron, he can't move. But could I decide to let him move? In effect, I'm asking if I can elect not to engage Cyberclaw, for whatever reason. As the controller of the Gladiatron, could I choose to release the opponent's figure from Cyberclaw if I wanted to? I don't mean if I wanted to move away--I mean if I wanted to let my opponent's figure move away from me.

Basically: can I turn Cyberclaw off and on? Or is it always on?

Thanks again.

Sorry about the confusion. Cyberclaw is not optional, it is always on. Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.
I'm not crazy about that--mostly because of situations where temporary alliances exist. This might be a question to put to Craig directly at Gen Con.

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation
I'm not seeing where it's optional unless there's something in the rulebook from the masterset I'm not taking into account. Where's everyone getting that? I'm sure it's something I have missed.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hex706f726368
I'm not seeing where it's optional unless there's something in the rulebook from the masterset I'm not taking into account. Where's everyone getting that? I'm sure it's something I have missed.
From the FAQ, Chomp is worded with no indication that it is optional, yet it was ruled to be an optional ability. That sets a precedent that any power that doesn't indicate whether its optional or mandatory should be conidered optional until ruled otherwise.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation
Ah, thanks. I see where it's coming from now. I knew it was me.

I still see a slight difference just based on the way the powers are worded. Chomp is something Grimnak does, cyberclaw is something that happens to other figures. But I don't think the difference is enough to even make a debate out of it.

/ducks into the optional camp

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units