Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old June 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: D2 - changes in the base size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
When was this idea first proposed?

Why wouldn't this have been done with MS3?
There are lots of possible reasons. How well will the MS3 set sell? How will it be received by D&D folks?

Just guessing, but I suspect they wanted so see whether there would be some demand by D&D players for these figures. The new bases says that there was/is.

Or, if you wish to be more cynical, maybe the MS3 did not go over well with the D&D folks and it did not expand the game, so maybe they are looking at possible reasons why and came up with this is a possiblity (and having figures not fitting on the gameboard would be a pretty big negative IMO).

Remember that sometimes good ideas (or new ideas if you don't think this is a good idea) come later in the process.

As I said, I don't like the change, but I take it as a good sign that they are continuing to work towards ways to keep HS viable.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
When was this idea first proposed?

Why wouldn't this have been done with MS3?
Cause it was proposed between D1 and D2

I was asking for a deliberate purpose.

Some of they naysayers were going to eventually start saying that it was proposed during MS3, but figured it would be too much change and drive away the loyalist.

I see it as no big deal, but appreciate your time answering.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
As I said, I don't like the change, but I take it as a good sign that they are continuing to work towards ways to keep HS viable.
Thanks Badger, this is how I feel as well.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
It's a large Dagger, not a Small Sword

theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
Thanks Badger, this is how I feel as well.
/sign

Wizards of the Coast Tabletop Games Designer

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

What I'm wondering is, why do the larger figures still get the old double hex base?

And I think those who believe that this won't increase sales for HS are wrong. Like it's been mentioned here before, we might not like it, but we are not the majority. Even the majority HERE aren't the 'majority'!...put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised to find that the majority of the MINORITY of casual DnD'ers and Scapers who don't use this site are more numerous than those here. That's not saying our opinion is invalid; it just means that WotC must market to them to have HS worth it's weight.

That's just the way it is.

As for me, I don't really care about the bases. It's not like they're black or anything. They're not squares.

But...in my opinion, this is the first 'blunder' of WotC with the HS line. While the smaller bases can be explained by the powers that be as a move to incorporate the figures to the DnD players out there (which is actually mildly offensive, that we're pandering to DnD players), it still makes little sense to me.

The figures that are included in D2 aren't your typical bread n' butter DnD creatures...so exactly 'which' DnD players are you trying to get to buy these? And the larger creatures still have the same old style base.

I wouldn't be surprised if DnD players are indifferent to it, but you just know that most HS players aren't going to be pleased. And this isn't me trying to be negative. If you were to ask those of us here what we'd think of new, smaller bases for future waves, I'm almost certain we'd get negative response. Yet, if you tack on the fiscal reality of "..would you take the new bases, realizing that the failure to increase the popularity of HS among DnD players is pivotal to the surviability of the HS line"...you'd get a lot of 'supporters', if only because half of nothing is nothing.

I mean, be honest with yourself. Who here who owns a decent amount of Scape would actually have wanted these new bases? The simple fact that they don't match your hundreds of other figures is good enough reason for me to go "meh".

But again, there's the bottom line: the people out there in consumer land truly outnumber us. There must actually be more DnD players out there who will now go, "Cool, I can finally use these figures with my DnD maps." and their dollars will speak far louder than any of us here who would have preferred our HS line to maintain its previous look.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Takanuva has disabled reputation

Yes
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
What I'm wondering is, why do the larger figures still get the old double hex base?
Most minis games use circular bases, so to make HS figures usable in other games, they'd have to have circular bases.

And that just wouldn't work very well for HS.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:

And I think those who believe that this won't increase sales for HS are wrong. Like it's been mentioned here before, we might not like it, but we are not the majority. Even the majority HERE aren't the 'majority'!...put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised to find that the majority of the MINORITY of casual DnD'ers and Scapers who don't use this site are more numerous than those here. That's not saying our opinion is invalid; it just means that WotC must market to them to have HS worth it's weight.

That's just the way it is.

As for me, I don't really care about the bases. It's not like they're black or anything. They're not squares.

But...in my opinion, this is the first 'blunder' of WotC with the HS line. While the smaller bases can be explained by the powers that be as a move to incorporate the figures to the DnD players out there (which is actually mildly offensive, that we're pandering to DnD players), it still makes little sense to me.

The figures that are included in D2 aren't your typical bread n' butter DnD creatures...so exactly 'which' DnD players are you trying to get to buy these? And the larger creatures still have the same old style base.

I wouldn't be surprised if DnD players are indifferent to it, but you just know that most HS players aren't going to be pleased. And this isn't me trying to be negative. If you were to ask those of us here what we'd think of new, smaller bases for future waves, I'm almost certain we'd get negative response. Yet, if you tack on the fiscal reality of "..would you take the new bases, realizing that the failure to increase the popularity of HS among DnD players is pivotal to the surviability of the HS line"...you'd get a lot of 'supporters', if only because half of nothing is nothing.

I mean, be honest with yourself. Who here who owns a decent amount of Scape would actually have wanted these new bases? The simple fact that they don't match your hundreds of other figures is good enough reason for me to go "meh".

But again, there's the bottom line: the people out there in consumer land truly outnumber us. There must actually be more DnD players out there who will now go, "Cool, I can finally use these figures with my DnD maps." and their dollars will speak far louder than any of us here who would have preferred our HS line to maintain its previous look.
Good well stated post.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:04 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Most minis games use circular bases, so to make HS figures usable in other games, they'd have to have circular bases.

...well that makes perfect sense, come to think of it.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:

...well that makes perfect sense, come to think of it.
I'm pretty sure they would if they could, but HS is one of the few games to use hexes, so...
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!

Well I no longer think of the changed bases as a deal breaker, but depending upon what they look like in person I may decide to re-base them with some extra Rotv bases that I have.

I might be completely satisfied with the change though, I will just wait and see.

Would changing the bases to heroscape bases make them not turny eligible? (not that I will ever have time to go to one)

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
It's a large Dagger, not a Small Sword

theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla theGuru is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was at my FLGS the other day taking a look at the D&D single minis they had available.

I realized that with the new bases, I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing Heroscape figures in those cases available for singles purchases just like the D&D and SW minis in some stores.

Wizards of the Coast Tabletop Games Designer

Latest FAQs 13.4 (10/6)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News