Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Fauz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Clarification: Engagement - Who is and who isn't?

Swarm Of The Marro Rule Book:

"A figure becomes engaged when it moves adjacent to an opponent's figure."

This would seem pretty straight forward however I ran into a situation which caused me to second guess the wording. Looking through the forums, I had found plenty of threads on engagement, but nothing to answer my question.

Scenario: I had a unit engaged in melee combat with an opponent. My unit was also back to to back with another of my opponent's figures who was engaged with another of my units.

Picture it in a row of 4 hexes. Marro Nagrub, Viking, Marro Stinger, Agent Carr. First two are fighting with each other, and the 2nd two are fighting with each other. The viking and the stinger are back to back and not fighting each other.

Viking kills the Nagrub. Can he walk away without a "passing swipe" from the stinger who has been "engaged" with Agent Carr?

For rule simplification, I can understand it being "if you're adjacent, you're engaged no matter who you are fighting with", however I want to verify.

[New Heroscape Player July 24/2009]
Still learning the game rules and strategies.
Dipping into Dungeon Crawl ideas and scenarios.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Clarification: Engagement - Who is and who isn't?

If you are adjacent you are engaged whether you attacked that fig or they attacked you or neither one attacked the other.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM

deathinc is surprisingly tart

You're in melee range of both units. The fact that you just killed off the guy in front of you doesn't prevent you from being engaged to the guy behind you.

Just ask Darth Maul.

Nutz, ninja'd
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That is correct, adjacent enemy figures are always engaged, regardless of who you're specifically attacking.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs

Last edited by Fencerjared; August 24th, 2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: stupid work, always getting ninja'd.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
That is correct, adjacent enemy figures are always engaged, regardless of who you're specifically attacking.
Thanks for validating me

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Fauz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Well, that settles it. Thanks guys.

[New Heroscape Player July 24/2009]
Still learning the game rules and strategies.
Dipping into Dungeon Crawl ideas and scenarios.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Yeah, a figure is engaged with any and all enemy figures that it's adjacent to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauz View Post
My unit was also back to to back with another of my opponent's figures who was engaged with another of my units.
I just had to add this note because of this part...facing doesn't matter (with exceptions like Q9), figures can look in any direction at any time.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauz View Post
My unit was also back to to back with another of my opponent's figures who was engaged with another of my units.
I just had to add this note because of this part...facing doesn't matter (with exceptions like Q9), figures can look in any direction at any time.
And when engaged, facing doesn't matter even for Q-9, because LOS doesn't matter when engaged.
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Thanks for validating me

I know how much you needed it. You're always trying to post witty sarcastic comments, it's really just a cry for help and validation.

But really, I was try to respond to the OP, got stuck telling some idiot that we don't support his 3rd party product over the phone. So I posted a few minutes late, and got superninja'd because I didn't hit preview first.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

Welcome to the site, Fauz and to answer your question, as lond as your adjacent to an enemy figure you are engaged and would still take a passing swipe by unengaging.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's