Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM

Topher is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Tul-Bak-Ra

I'm surprised more people haven't been using TBR with both the Dividers and the Drones.

Send in TBR behind lines as a assassin style figure who can not only put some wounds on his target but can kill some squaddies or other potential threats along the way. Once behind enemy lines teleporting in both the Dividers and the Drones is key because the divides don't require immediate order markers as their ability to replenish acts to both discourage attacks and keep them contenting for the long run in the event of losses while your opponent naturally wants to attack the more direct and immediate threats of TBR and Drones as they are set with order markers and actively taking turns.

Now the drones are central to this strategy because they will operate behind lines with TBR and in main conflict, all on the same order marker, keeping my opponent off balance and unable to effectively respond everywhere simultaneous and that is exactly what your are requiring him to do. All the while TBR can teleport around to engage ranged units or other harassers, strike at a lynch-pin figure or any weak spot in my opponent army. Absolute versatility, effective threat response and board control is the key to winning any game of Heroscape and that is exactly what TRB is capable of doing when used along side both Drones and Dividers.

The ability to keep your opponent not only constant fighting a two front war but being unable to see where TBR might move next has proven very effective for me in several games, including two where my army faced Q9 backed with Blasts and Glads.

For 500 points I drafted...

TBR - 130
2x Stingers - 250
2 x Dividers - 350
3x Drones - 500

The second front will likely only be a portion of the overall battle due to TBR's lower survivability and the stingers really act as a second wave clean-up or vice-versa; perhaps, as the initial strike force letting your opponent move in to a more venerable strung out board position as the battle takes place letting TBR really move in near the mid-game when your opponent might have an even more difficult time defending against the opening of a second front.

Anyway, you can see the potential when TBR is paired in this way and I also hope that I was clear enough because clarity is not my strong suit.

Need: 1 Monks & Gaurds (wave 3), 2 Greeks & Vipers (wave 4), 2 Soulborgs & Elves (wave 4) and many, many more Zombies and Drones would always be nice.
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Not bad, pal. The problem is, TBR is only capable of 'porting 2 or 3 figs, which can hardly be considered a "front."

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In addition, I have played and played against the Dividers in at least 15 battles, and I have never heard someone say "Crap, I can't take a shot at that guy - he might Divide!" It happens so rarely that it's not really a consideration.

It's great for you if it happens, but with only 6 units on the board, and no Su-Bak-Na, the odds are not in your favor for it to make a noticeable difference. I think the 2 squads of Stingers is enough, but I'd just put the rest of the points into 2 more squads of Drones.

Old December 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I think the 2 squads of Stingers is enough, but I'd just put the rest of the points into 2 more squads of Drones.
I agree. Removing the two dividers for 2 drones seems like a good idea. I mean, once ONE drone dies your massive horde power is no longer at full strength.
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Topher is surprisingly tart

In my games I have noticed that players would rather attack a figure that is active and causing damage over an inactive figure without order markers. I would also say that having two or three figures and a hero behind enemy lines attacking Raelin warrants your enemies attention; unless you're KillerCactus but I think the Drones are a different situation.

The reason I thought to mention all this was that so many people seem to like the idea that TBR can created a situation in an area your opponent might not be prepared to defend properly but many also felt that doing that left too many sleeping figures elsewhere on the board. The Drones solve that issue.

BTW, WarlordAlpha and CheddarLimbo I agree that more Drones would be optimal but I only have three squads so my army configuration had to reflect that.

This army is hardley tournament worthy but I never concern myself with such things; however, it is fun and effective to play in a more casual setting... at least to me.

Need: 1 Monks & Gaurds (wave 3), 2 Greeks & Vipers (wave 4), 2 Soulborgs & Elves (wave 4) and many, many more Zombies and Drones would always be nice.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
For 500 points I drafted...

TBR - 130
2x Stingers - 250
2 x Dividers - 350
3x Drones - 500
I like the army, but I'd drop the 3xDrones for 3xDividers.

I used the beta version of the matchup calculator and with a battle of 6 Drones vs 6 Dividers, the Dividers win 70% of the time. With 8 Drones vs 8 Dividers, the Dividers win 68% of the time.
http://math.lfc.edu/~yuen/heroscape/...quest=findprob
Even at 8 Dividers vs 9 Drones, the Dividers win 55% of the time.
http://math.lfc.edu/~yuen/heroscape/...quest=findprob

The problem for the Drones is that as the number of figures goes below 9, they lose some of their Hive Swarm ability. Once the Drones have 3 figures or less, Hive Swarm gives no advantage. Cell Divide works down to the last Divider.

I could see taking the Drones over the Dividers if movement was key, but if TBR is teleporting squad members in, movement isn't as important. If you were using the hive, I would use the Drones. With TBR, I would use the Dividers.

Last edited by Rich10; December 5th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Can TBR drop a Treasure Glyph if he Teleports? The rulebook says that you can place a glyph on any space the figure occupies during its movement, and TBR's Card says, "Instead of moving TUl-Bak-Ra normally..."

My instincts tell me that he can drop a glyph on his starting and/or ending position if he chooses to Teleport. While it isn't a normal move, it is still considered movement so I think the D&D rules would consider Teleportation a valid time to drop a glyph.

Old February 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Can TBR drop a Treasure Glyph if he Teleports? The rulebook says that you can place a glyph on any space the figure occupies during its movement, and TBR's Card says, "Instead of moving TUl-Bak-Ra normally..."

My instincts tell me that he can drop a glyph on his starting and/or ending position if he chooses to Teleport. While it isn't a normal move, it is still considered movement so I think the D&D rules would consider Teleportation a valid time to drop a glyph.
That would be my interpretation. I think the same would apply to things like Grapple Gun and Stealth Leap.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post

I think the same would apply to things like Grapple Gun and Stealth Leap.
Agreed, except I'd think that they could place the glyph somewhere in the middle of their movement and not be restricted to the starting and ending spaces.

Last edited by Obsidian; February 1st, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post

I think the same would apply to things like Grapple Gun and Stealth Leap.
Agreed, except I'd think that they could place the glyph somewhere in the middle of there movement and not be restricted to the starting and ending spaces.
Yep.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

I was thinking of something similar the other day. Would you guys think TBR would make a good glyph grabber with his 10 move teleport? Then if you have, lets say stingers, in your army what would your opponent do? If they attack TBR he teleports stingers adjacent to him and sets them up to attack on the very next order marker. What do you think?

Dustin
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigosmooth View Post
I was thinking of something similar the other day. Would you guys think TBR would make a good glyph grabber with his 10 move teleport? Then if you have, lets say stingers, in your army what would your opponent do? If they attack TBR he teleports stingers adjacent to him and sets them up to attack on the very next order marker. What do you think?

Dustin
TBR has to end his Teleport move on an empty space, so no teleporting onto glyphs for him.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units