Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Heroscape's Birthday 7/7/2004

Last January, I mentioned in a different thread, the idea of giving Heroscape a birth date and suggested it be 8/8/2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
So this is where it all begins. The IT LIVES!!!! post by hero tells me the general public could not get this in June or July. Scrolling through the snapshots, it seems the game's introduction was done at both ComiCon (7/22-25) and GenCon (8/19-22) 2004. In between the two conventions, there's a post by hero titled IT'S HERE!!!! on 8/8/2004 where he says he bought a master set at WalMart. I'm guessing it first hit store shelves in the previous week; so August is good enough for me. I vote we make 8/8/2004 the birth date for Heroscape based on hero's IT'S HERE!!! post on HS.Net.
I like the idea of using the date hero first purchased a master set as Heroscape's birth date. Another date could be the game's official publication, which I believe was in June 2004, but I'm not sure what the exact publication date is yet.

What do you guys think? Should we give Heroscape a birth date?

Last edited by GaryLASQ; June 2nd, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape's Birthday 8/8/2004 ?

Yes, that's fine with me. But I think we all celebrate HeroScape's Birthday on the second Saturday of October as National HeroScape Day.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Yes, that's fine with me. But I think we all celebrate HeroScape's Birthday on the second Saturday of October as National HeroScape Day.
This is like the Christmas story. Sorry to any of those with other beliefs.

But seriously, no one knows exactly when Jesus was born but yet we celebrate Christmas/His birthday 12/25.

To relate this, as much as I think we should have an "official" HS B-Day. I think NHSD already covers it.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Certainly wouldn't want an adopted birth date to ever over-shadow NHSD. It would just be a day, once a year, where we can all say "Happy Birthday Heroscape!"

I didn't realize NHSD also functioned as the game's birth date. Is the date for NHSD a moving target each year (based on when the NHSD weekend falls) or is it a fixed date?

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 7th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Certainly wouldn't want an adopted birth date to ever over-shadow NHSD. It would just be a day, once a year, where we can all say "Happy Birthday Heroscape!"

I didn't realize NHSD also functioned as the game's birth date. Is the date for NHSD a moving target each year (based on when the NHSD weekend falls) or is it a fixed date?
It's Thanksgiving not Christmas for example. Every second week of October.

I could see an official HS B-Day though. I don't think it would out shadow NHSD as it would just be "Happy Birthday!" not "Let's have a tourney!" day. I don't mind, 8/8 it is if no body objects.

Last edited by Sheep; August 7th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:

It's Thanksgiving not Christmas for example.
Right, and birthdays are fixed dates, not dates that move around. (Oops, I quoted you too soon as you were still working on edits.)

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 7th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:

It's Thanksgiving not Christmas for example.
Right, and birthdays are fixed dates, not dates that move around.
You mean after my birthday, I can't move it a week earlier next year. I edited my second post.
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Last January, I mentioned in a different thread, the idea of giving Heroscape a birth date and suggested it be 8/8/2004.

Quote:
So this is where it all begins. The IT LIVES!!!! post by hero tells me the general public could not get this in June or July. Scrolling through the snapshots, it seems the game's introduction was done at both ComiCon (7/22-25) and GenCon (8/19-22) 2004. In between the two conventions, there's a post by hero titled IT'S HERE!!!! on 8/8/2004 where he says he bought a master set at WalMart. I'm guessing it first hit store shelves in the previous week; so August is good enough for me. I vote we make 8/8/2004 the birth date for Heroscape based on hero's IT'S HERE!!! post on HS.Net.
I like the idea of using the date hero first purchased a master set as Heroscape's birth date. Another date could be the game's official publication, which I believe was in June 2004, but I'm not sure what the exact publication date is yet.

What do you guys think? Should we give Heroscape a birth date?
Cool idea, Gary. I like Heroscape birthday concept. If it were up to me, I'd rely on a date closer to "IT LIVES!!!" because:
  1. the title ("lives" implies it has been born),
  2. it is the first (?) documented point that a fan had a copy, and
  3. it is further away from NHSD (and Gencon) so it would be easier to co-opt as another date to rally around for tournament purposes (only 2 more to go to have quarterly rallying dates--something around New Year and April Fools?).
The "IT LIVES!!!" post is dated at midnight of July 8, 2004, so hero surely had it a minute prior (July 7) which is another easy-to-remember date: 7/7/2004. But I'm cool with 8/8/2004 as well. (I suppose if we asked Craig/Rob/Stephen they would probably supply a different date altogether.)

(On a side note: so is NHSD targeted around the 2nd or 3rd weekend of October? I've seen conflicting information. Earlier in this thread it is mentioned it is around the 2nd Saturday and elsewhere I've seen the 3rd mentioned. I ask because I may end up hosting the event this year for us Wisconsin heroscapers.)

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; August 7th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

It's on the 2nd Saturday. Some people celebrate on the 1st or 3rd Saturday depending on their schedules, but it's "officially" the 2nd Sat. There was a post made by R˙chean about it as a joke, and it actually stuck.
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
The "IT LIVES!!!" post is dated at midnight of July 8, 2004, so hero surely had it a minute prior (July 7) which is another easy-to-remember date: 7/7/2004. But I'm cool with 8/8/2004 as well.
7/7 instead of 8/8 sounds fine to me for all the reasons you've mentioned. It's a group decision and still needs more discussion. Having a birthday for a game might seem too silly and trivial to most players.

Quote:
It's on the 2nd Saturday. Some people celebrate on the 1st or 3rd Saturday depending on their schedules, but it's "officially" the 2nd Sat. There was a post made by R˙chean about it as a joke, and it actually stuck.
Found it

So NHSD was inspired by two large tournaments happening on the same day (10/21/06) not because it was considered a birth date for the game. However, now we know what NHSD's birth date is, 10/21/06 ... or ... is it 6/26/06 when R˙chean made the initial post?

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 8th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
No, I'm sure it's on the 3rd Saturday. In 2011 most events were on the 15th, in 2010 most events were on the 16th, in 2009 the 17th, etc. Of course, there's always a few events that deviate from the standard.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Spin Master

I think we can all agree that NHSD is off-topic. The question is, should we give HS a birth date, and if so, when?

Looking for an exact publication date on any board game is not as easy as I thought. Typically all you get is the year of publication (or month/year). And even if I did find an official publication date, I would prefer using the date that hero first got his hands on (purchased?) a Master set.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion