Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

View Poll Results: Which Fan Fiction would you like to see next?
Code 4114 (LBV rewrite) 0 0%
Origin Story 7 87.50%
Sequel 0 0%
Other (Specify) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Preferences for New Fan Fiction

Yes, although I must confess that outside of the contest and a few of your more recent tales I haven't gotten the chance to read much of your work. I tried to find the story that 4114 is supposedly based on but I couldn't find it. Any chance you know where it's archived?

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old August 7th, 2016, 12:34 AM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Yes, although I must confess that outside of the contest and a few of your more recent tales I haven't gotten the chance to read much of your work. I tried to find the story that 4114 is supposedly based on but I couldn't find it. Any chance you know where it's archived?

~TAF
The Quest for Valhalla
4114 is going to be a rewrite of that and its sequel, but exclusively from the main character's point of view. I will also be changing some things to better fit the story, so things won't match up 100%.

You don't really need to have read the Quest at all to read 4114. In fact, I'm thinking about removing it altogether (or at least parts of it), as it is an example of one of my... less thought-out works. I'm trying to weed those out, as future publishers might look at my previous writings before accepting a deal on any future novel. I'd like to keep the selections to my more recent fictions.

~TGRF.

EDIT: Upon reviewing the quest after posting the above, I have decided to keep it in unedited form. I feel I must make one comment though: I sure made a lot of typos back then. Goodness gracious!

Last edited by TGRF; August 7th, 2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old August 7th, 2016, 10:04 PM

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay great, thanks! Reading it as we metaphorically speak.

~TAF

Old August 7th, 2016, 11:08 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Okay great, thanks! Reading it as we metaphorically speak.

~TAF
Do be aware it is the second thing I ever wrote, and as such I had absolutely no idea how to write. It should not reflect my more recent writings.

~TGRF.
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Do be aware it is the second thing I ever wrote, and as such I had absolutely no idea how to write. It should not reflect my more recent writings.

~TGRF.
I ain't judgin', I'm readin'! Besides, I like it so far.

~TAF

Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:29 PM

@TheAverageFan @BiggaBullfrog @William099

Here's the situation: the development and outline for 4114 are done. All I need to do is write it. I have written the first chapter.

The problem is that the first chapter is terrible, and this is draft three. And looking over the outline as a whole, I'm not very impressed. I think it could pass as a fan fiction, but it wouldn't be very good, not at all at the level I want it to be. I feel like I would be giving you guys only half of what I've been promising.

Additionally, I'm back to developing my novel in the in-between hours of the day, and the interest in 4114 isn't really there.

So we have two options:
  • Put 4114 on the shelf, possibly permanently. Start looking into origin stories.
  • Work with 4114, and see if it can be made better. I think if I found the proper way to start it, I might be able to make it half way decent. I still wouldn't expect too much from it though.
It comes down to how much you were anticipating 4114.

There is of course the possibility of being struck by a brain wave and finding a way to make 4114 good. I'd give this about a 20% chance of happening.

~TGRF.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:42 PM

I have already stated my preference against origin stories, even I'm the only one to feel that way, so I say keep trying with 4114. I don't know how long you've been trying to get it off the ground, but sometimes you just need to give yourself time to really get into the swing of things and write something really strong. This is especially true for the very beginning of the story.

That's how I do it anyway. If I just can't make a scene or chapter work, I just don't try to write it until I think I can.

Do whatever you think will work best for you. If you're just not feeling it, wait until you are. But you're the only one who knows what you've got, so if you think 4114 is truly unsalvageable, then try something else.

~TAF

Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I have already stated my preference against origin stories, even I'm the only one to feel that way, so I say keep trying with 4114. I don't know how long you've been trying to get it off the ground, but sometimes you just need to give yourself time to really get into the swing of things and write something really strong. This is especially true for the very beginning of the story.

That's how I do it anyway. If I just can't make a scene or chapter work, I just don't try to write it until I think I can.

Do whatever you think will work best for you. If you're just not feeling it, wait until you are. But you're the only one who knows what you've got, so if you think 4114 is truly unsalvageable, then try something else.

~TAF
I would put its status as unlikely. I can certainly try to make it better, but things aren't promising at the moment.

~TGRF>
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:21 PM

AHAHAHA!!!

That 20% came through. Writing is proceeding full steam.

~TGRF.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:59 PM

See, what'd I tell ya. Looking forward to it.

Two major fan fiction works in development at the same time, should be a good next couple of months. (all we need now is to have the Contest back on and it'd be a good time to be alive in this forum)

~TAF

Old October 23rd, 2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
See, what'd I tell ya. Looking forward to it.

Two major fan fiction works in development at the same time, should be a good next couple of months. (all we need now is to have the Contest back on and it'd be a good time to be alive in this forum)

~TAF
If Dysole would just judge, we could get it moving again. The entries have been in for a while...

~TGRF, with half a mind to 'executive' the contest back into action.
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:09 PM

I hit a snag with writing Dan, but I'm fixing the problem fast and should be back in action soon. Also, The fan fiction is tentatively retitled to Error 4114.

~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction