Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 11th, 2024, 11:30 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
TL/DR version, I don't think it's as difficult to custom design heroscape units as people imaginne.
Making a balanced unit is not difficult. Making a good unit is. Adjusting point costs, reigning in overly strong powers, etc, isn't particularly hard. Designing a unit that people want to play and play and play again is a challenge, as the unit needs to provide something that the many other units don't.
I see what you're saying, but when it boils down to it, everyone still has favorites at the end of the day, no matter how balanced/good a unit is. (I know I have a bunch of units like undead/historical that I gravitate more to, even though Q9, Raelin, Reavers, Krav etc are among the best.)

I guess it's more important to focus on balance vs. good as you put it, or trying to make sure everyone plays everything all the time. I just don't think that's always feasible; but that said, I think the vast majority of C3V units are "good" in that they are interesting, or at least to me; plenty of fun powers and unique looking figures, just to me the point costs are a little off on some, that's all.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old March 11th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreheroscaper View Post
Very interesting if the information about creating new units is true. To try to be fair, it is hard to understand how to create balanced units that add to the game publish worthy quality (in either classic or a new innovation) if creative team the team doesn't already have a lot of practice at making HS beyond 1-2 years.
I disagree to a point. While i've never been a big custom units person, I've designed a couple customs myself in the past, and used them, my friend/family said felt very balanced. I think anyone can do it. It's not rocket science. Didn't have to be on some sort of official Scape council or anything.

It is easy to get out of control, though, but so long as you have a couple honest playtesters, you should be golden IMO. Shouldn't take years to design good units, perhaps a couple months, but not years.

TL/DR version, I don't think it's as difficult to custom design heroscape units as people imaginne.
Please post those customs!
Sure, I made a couple units a while back, i'll see if I can find my old thread and post em for ya.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old March 11th, 2024, 12:07 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I just saw a youtube video by a guy who was a fired playtester! He tried to be postive about the game's return, but he was angry at Renegade for sure.
Ryguy? Amusingly, his most recent video is him getting a Renegade affiliate link. Is he on 'Scapers?
Ryguy is on ‘Scapers! And I’ve been on the forums much longer than I’ve been on YouTube.

Also, your head canon is remarkably accurate. Although, that small “bad part” was a months-long ordeal full of stress for us playtesters. Fortunately it all appears to have worked out in the end, even if it was a very unpleasant ride. The community will never know, care, or even agree with everything we did for it and seems determined to give Renegade the benefit of the doubt, which is fine (frankly I can take very little credit for what happened; that was all the work of a few stellar individuals who will also never be appreciated enough in this community). But things are on the upswing at Renegade and despite everything I am genuinely looking forward to what they have in store.
Old March 11th, 2024, 03:54 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
the HS Compendium says nothing about Kyrie wings being "mechanical".
Come on, man. Do you really look at old Raelin's wings and think they're organic? But even if you do, the point here is that the new ones are radically different and there doesn't seem to be any attempt to address it. As if nobody noticed. Hey, maybe there should be a new DW9K with a human head that nobody mentions. Innovation!

C3V and SoV had to make sculpt compromises (for obvious reasons), but brand-new official Scape shouldn't have to do that.
I agree. The wings are a radical change.

And there's more going on here than just the wings. This might be a bit too on the nose, but...

Evil Raelin! Hear Her ROARR!

Regardless, I still think it's a great looking sculpt of Raelin riding her Big bat cat.

There appears to be ample room for a passenger behind her. It's tempting to house rule the Carry SP...

This sculpt creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?

I've not yet attempted miniature painting. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, where does this rank?

Speaking of the long established community of fan custom units and this site...and eventually a team of customizers that helped design some AoA units (and I believe D&D units). Here is my old Evil Raelin design from 2006 (but I am no means a top custom unit designer):
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...moreheroscaper

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Old March 11th, 2024, 04:43 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I will be interested to hear how tournaments go in the beginning. Nothing in the first release looks like it would require a change in army building with the old stuff and I'm not sure the new stuff would do well against some of the old power builds. But the old stuff won't be available to a new generation, and it would be extremely uncool to mow down everything with Glads and Blasts or Q9+Krav and Rates or whatever else and every new player thinks you suck, because you're using those units.....

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:10 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I will be interested to hear how tournaments go in the beginning. Nothing in the first release looks like it would require a change in army building with the old stuff and I'm not sure the new stuff would do well against some of the old power builds. But the old stuff won't be available to a new generation, and it would be extremely uncool to mow down everything with Glads and Blasts or Q9+Krav and Rates or whatever else and every new player thinks you suck, because you're using those units.....
My guess is the 'major' tourneys will only allow AoA and forward releases, but I imagine there will be an 'anything goes' category as well or something to that effect.

-insert signature here-
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:14 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Renegade said there would be both types of events.
Old March 12th, 2024, 12:18 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Numbers are fun.
AoA Master Set
8*24: 192
8*7: 56
4*3: 12
16*2: 32
18*1: 18
For 310 ordinary hexes and

20 water
+ 8 ruin pillars and some walls

Based on the good old 'hex count' metric, that would be 330, with pillars not contributing.

BftW:
2*24: 48
5*7: 35
3*3: 9
2*2: 4
6*1: 6
For 102 ordinary hexes and

13 water+wellspring water (of which 3 belong to Ewashia)
2 jungle trees (which do count as hexes in the great hex count)
For a complete hex count of 117
If we compare to old sets:
RotV: 359
SotM: 232
BftU: 161
Marvel: 103
Thus, the new set sits comfortably between sets 1 & 2, while the Wellspring set is essentially identical to Marvelscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 12th, 2024, 03:13 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Numbers are fun.
AoA Master Set
8*24: 192
8*7: 56
4*3: 12
16*2: 32
18*1: 18
For 310 ordinary hexes and

20 water
+ 8 ruin pillars and some walls

Based on the good old 'hex count' metric, that would be 330, with pillars not contributing.

BftW:
2*24: 48
5*7: 35
3*3: 9
2*2: 4
6*1: 6
For 102 ordinary hexes and

13 water+wellspring water (of which 3 belong to Ewashia)
2 jungle trees (which do count as hexes in the great hex count)
For a complete hex count of 117
If we compare to old sets:
RotV: 359
SotM: 232
BftU: 161
Marvel: 103
Thus, the new set sits comfortably between sets 1 & 2, while the Wellspring set is essentially identical to Marvelscape.

Thanks for the breakdown!
Old March 12th, 2024, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very interesting if the information about creating new units is true. To try to be fair, it is hard to understand how to create balanced units that add to the game publish worthy quality (in either classic or a new innovation) if creative team the team doesn't already have a lot of practice at making HS beyond 1-2 years.
I disagree to a point. While i've never been a big custom units person, I've designed a couple customs myself in the past, and used them, my friend/family said felt very balanced. I think anyone can do it. It's not rocket science. Didn't have to be on some sort of official Scape council or anything.

It is easy to get out of control, though, but so long as you have a couple honest playtesters, you should be golden IMO. Shouldn't take years to design good units, perhaps a couple months, but not years.

I agree with you that to create fairly decent balanced customs it does require years of playtesting and playing experience. I know because I use to run an eective class based on customizing games like Heroscape. I just think having such experience helps expedite the trial and error process.

My mindset during that early post was more directed at a few things: fair-point costs, interplay/combo possibility of prior units, and more importantly a power creep.

With fair-points costs, there has also been a genuine question for units, even with official units going back to Taelord at 180 to even the Einar flag-bearer.

Power-creep is more of my concern because I would rather have all units be viable in enough situations to make them playable/draft worthy than to be stuck in storage bins. For most of Heroscape official releases I think the power creep hasn't been too bad. I know players of other games do commonly mention how some units/cards become obsolete with some new releases.
I mean, in a perfect world, that'd be great, but better a unit be over costed than under costed, by any means necessary. That way even though some may see more dust than others, at least it won't dominate tournaments and tick players off, adn wind up on ban lists.

Old March 12th, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
A good portion of the classic library is not really playable though. I think a lot of tension, when working on customs or seeing new releases, is that a lot of units in heroscape are pretty weak. If we sit down and just want to play the best armies, there is going to be a 50% of the library we dont ever consider as worthwhile.

So fo you design at that very weak level? Do you design things that are enjoyable to play like how Orcs and knights work? Do you design units that help those weaker units play more like the better units?

It isnt hard to make a decent custom. At all. I think there are a few possible flavors that people may like or not like based on the experience they want in the game.
Not everyone focus's on competitive though. Especially myself. I'd be curious to see an official poll on that though.

I personally wanna see more interesting powers on figures that look cool/interest me. I don't care about raw stats so much as fun/interesting powers when it comes to designing a figure/seeing new stuff

Old March 13th, 2024, 06:43 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm not assuming it is. And I'm also not sure what a poll of the hundred people that post on this forum would tell you.

Doesnt change the fact that the Einar flag bearer is unplayable unless you either contrive a very specific firmat/circumstance for it or enjoy playing a unit that isnt going to help you much.

Even if a persons focus isnt competitive I doubt they want to pick very weak units. Do you pick the car in a racing game that's the slowest by a significant margin if it doesnt have any other benefits? Maybe if your friends are terrible... or if you just enjoy losing lol. Neither is true for me. Most people dont like picking an option in a game (just in general) if it is inferior by a significant margin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News