Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
As a side note, all the VS maps I've put up so far I've created IRL first. I can't make good maps in VS alone, and my spontaneous maps of late have been pretty good if I do say so myself.
Oy, I do the same. Of course, this also means that a lot of my good maps don't go into VirtualScape. I've tried doing maps virtually, but as soon as I lay down my 24-hexers, I have no idea what to do.
Old June 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
New map, Cliff Road:

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Hedge Knight Woo who?
Nice work Necroblade! I really like your style/aestetic sense. Great use of glyphs.

Cliff Road is especially natural looking, which is what I like. And from the looks of it it would break up the sight lines of ranged units, another good thing.

Wouldn't flying units have a stronger-than-usual advantage on this one? I guess that's not really a flaw in the map, just a feature of it.

I'd like to see some more choices for movement though--forcing some decisions about committing forces, leaving room for the action to occur in other places than the center. It looks like if you let your opponent get the middle on this map, you have a seriously uphill battle ahead of you, so it would be a crush for the center, with some optional glyph grabbing.

All in all, nice work all around. Keep them coming!
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Thanks for the comments, HK.

My maps of late have indeed looked more natural, and I like that about them. I usually don't like drastic changes in elevation, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the cliffs in this map. And the trees (though I don't exactly love their placement for some reason) do an amazing job of breaking up LOS on Cliff Road.

Flying units tend to have an advantage on this and all my maps of this size. But that mostly applies to the single based ones, since the uneven terrain can be tricky to navigate, even for fliers. And since fliers of that size tend not to have ranged attacks, it's not too big an advantage.

As for movement, I haven't really found lack of options to be a problem. The high ground is to either side of the road. Rushing up the road will bring you to the enemy, but won't put you at the top of the map. Climbing the hills takes longer, but you can still shoot across to the opponent's hill. The placement of the glyphs ensures players will have to keep moving to finish off figures that grabbed them and that figures get spread out over the map in the first place. I have played 3 or so games on this map, and I think all but a few hexes have been used (I could literally point out only 8 hexes on the map I don't recall having figures on at some point, not including starting zones).

One last feature I tend to incorporate is to have the absolute highest point on a map to be a single hex (on each side, symmetrically). That prevents powerful large figures from grabbing the highest point, always allowing the little guys to get the extra dice and put them to good use.

Thanks again for the comments. I hope to keep them coming about one a month or so.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 25th, 2022, 05:51 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Barrenspur: Tomb of Migol II

I was running some name checks in the downloads section, and stumbled across your map. I love the look of it! A great example of prioritizing a natural appearance while still producing a playable map. I'm a big fan of all the height, too. Old school.

Ridiculous that I'm necroing a 15 year old thread to comment on a 4 year old map that isn't even mentioned here, but I just saw it for the first time. How is anyone supposed to find it? I had a hard enough time just figuring out where to post about it. Anyway, gorgeous map.
Old February 6th, 2022, 04:55 PM

Re: Barrenspur: Tomb of Migol II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBear View Post

I was running some name checks in the downloads section, and stumbled across your map. I love the look of it! A great example of prioritizing a natural appearance while still producing a playable map. I'm a big fan of all the height, too. Old school.

Ridiculous that I'm necroing a 15 year old thread to comment on a 4 year old map that isn't even mentioned here, but I just saw it for the first time. How is anyone supposed to find it? I had a hard enough time just figuring out where to post about it. Anyway, gorgeous map.
First of all, thanks! I don't create a lot of maps, so I probably didn't even think about the fact that I had a map thread once upon a time when that one was created for a contest. I did have fun making something aesthetic and asymmetric, though. Perhaps I'll add it to the OP here, though I'm certain nothing will be joining it anytime soon.

I also love how my last comment in 2007 was "I hope to keep them coming about one a month or so."

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios