Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old October 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Are Video Games Art?

As I was trolling through the Internet, I came upon a debate of whether video games should be considered an art form.

When I read this, my mind immediately jumped to my all time favorite video game: Metroid Prime. I started thinking, could I consider this a work of art? Do I consider this a work of art? As I started thinking about the beautiful graphics, excellent game play, the story that was more experienced than told, I had to admit to myself that I do consider Metroid Prime a work of art.

It was when I hit upon that thought of experiencing that I had an epiphany. People consider plays and movies to be works of art; what sets video games apart from that? In video games, you are a more integral part of the story than with a movie. You are the one controlling what will happen, you are the one discovering the secrets, fighting the battles, etc.

So, do you think that video games are a work of art, and if you do, what video games do you think would fit in that category?

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker
Re: Are Video Games Art?

I agree. The Metroid series is one of my favorite game series, with my favorite probably being the 3rd in the series, Corruption. But definitely, video games are a work of art.

I would consider most RPG's to be art, since, like Swamper said, you are the one playing the game, discovering things, etc. But also maybe Action and Adventure games and possibly Puzzle games (Scribblenauts, anyone?)

Nice idea for a thread, Swamper!

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Video games combine technology and the fine arts. So, technically, it is an art. Music is used, graphics and gameplay/controls are programmed, and text must be programmed as well. This is all multimedia, which is taught at art institutes. So yes, video games are considered to be art.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

I believe that video games are a form of art. Some are just more expressive than others. Some games really push the emphasis of videogaming as an art form like Shadow of the Collossus and Okami.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Aqualung is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Yes. Yes they are. If you disagree, go play Bioshock.

And can you still remember December's foggy breeze,
When the ice that clings onto your beard was screaming agony?

- Jethro Tull, "Aqualung"
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I do not see video games as art. When I play a video game, I'm immersing myself 'physically' in the surrounding world. I can choose what I will do. If I hit the block and pray for a mushroom in Mario or cut a Daedroth down to size in ES4: Oblivion. With the other forms of artistic expression, I do not get to do that. When I try to manipulate a painting, it is no longer the same art it was before I changed it(perhaps I shouldn't have paint a beard on the Mona Lisa, but I really thought they were a guy).

To more easily compare manipulation to non-manipulation lets look at it like this: In real life, you do your day to day chores one day, the next day you don't, and they day after, you do some of them. You wouldn't call that art would you?

<this is just my ramblings and shouldn't be taken for anything more than what it is>

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

CERTAIN video games would fall under the 'art' category in my book.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM

Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker Wonderball68 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I do not see video games as art. When I play a video game, I'm immersing myself 'physically' in the surrounding world. I can choose what I will do. If I hit the block and pray for a mushroom in Mario or cut a Daedroth down to size in ES4: Oblivion. With the other forms of artistic expression, I do not get to do that. When I try to manipulate a painting, it is no longer the same art it was before I changed it(perhaps I shouldn't have paint a beard on the Mona Lisa, but I really thought they were a guy).

To more easily compare manipulation to non-manipulation lets look at it like this: In real life, you do your day to day chores one day, the next day you don't, and they day after, you do some of them. You wouldn't call that art would you?

<this is just my ramblings and shouldn't be taken for anything more than what it is>
You're thinking about it in the wrong way.

You say that you can "manipulate" the game, but that's simply not true. You simply can't do whatever you want in a video game. The game still has limits, unlike real life which has no boundaries. Someone had to program those limits into the game. I would consider that part of the art.

In addition to that, video games combine several art froms, like art(graphics), cinematics, and music.

Art is anything that is meant to express an emotion or idea, and video games are supposed to express fun and entertainment. Also different genres of video games can express other things, like fear, and sadness.

Video games are art.

<also rambling>
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Yes. Yes they are. If you disagree, go play Bioshock.
I just finished this game last week. Sad to see that I waited so long to play it, but I finally did, and it was a great game and quite enjoyable.

Another great game that is fun to play, that you could consider an expression of art as a game is the xbox live arcade game called, Limbo.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderball68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

You're thinking about it in the wrong way.

You say that you can "manipulate" the game, but that's simply not true. You simply can't do whatever you want in a video game. The game still has limits, unlike real life which has no boundaries. Someone had to program those limits into the game. I would consider that part of the art.

In addition to that, video games combine several art froms, like art(graphics), cinematics, and music.

Art is anything that is meant to express an emotion or idea, and video games are supposed to express fun and entertainment. Also different genres of video games can express other things, like fear, and sadness.

Video games are art.

<also rambling>
Well you can do whatever you want with hacking

But seriously, I feel the manipulation factor of video games naturally overrides the idea of art as I see it. However to remove the manipulation factor of games and look at the rest of the substances-music, graphic, etc.-could be comparable to a museum. While yes, I understand your point of view, I do not agree with it.

<rambling is a great way to discuss IMO>

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I would say that yes, video games could be considered an art. When you visit an art gallery and look at a painting of a mid-morning forest setting, the leaves of the trees are wet with dew, and the mist is creeping along the ground In the distance you can see mountain tops rising along the horizon, their snow capped peaks stand stark against the rising sun. Such a painting is supposed to instill a feeling of serene relaxation in people, (or at least me). When I play slow games like "The Settlers 6" I find myself becoming immersed in the world and being very relaxed as I sit back and admire the bustling town that I had constructed and sometimes I enjoy watching all the daily activities my settlers do throughout the day as they interact with other building I've built. It's not action packed very slow and relaxing for me, just like the painting of the morning forest. Other artworks (not just limited to paintings) are darker, others are a bit more bold and exciting. There are games that can instill the same feelings as any of those art forms.
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Do you consider the written word an art form? We come up with our own mental pictures of events within a story. I have a different view of, say, Frankenstein, than you do.

Books are not art because our view of them can be manipulated.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games