Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM

KevinWC Woo who?
Arkmer's Engagement Strike 13

The Engagement Strike states:

If an opponent's small or medium figure moves adjacent to Arkmer, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, the opponent's figure receives one wound. Figures may be targeted only as they move into engagement with Arkmer

My question came up in my first game with wave 8. My brother had Arkmer and the elf wizards on the highground. I had the Wolves of Badru and Otonashi left. All my other biggies (Zelrig, Sujoah, and Gurei One-Eye) could not roll any shields. I decided to pounce my wolves right into the middle of his elves and take out Kyntela Gwyn and Arkmer in a "do or die" attack to save the game. The wolves pounced and one easily killed Kyntela Gwyn, thus landing next to Arkmer. Thus we had a dilema. Does Arkmer get to use his Engagement Strike? The wolf did not really move into engagement, he was landed their by a special attack. We decided that this being the case he did not get Engagement Strike.

I would like to know what the community's take on this is. Other power's such as Spear of Summoning and Jotun's Throw ability could also cause this problem.

So here it is: Can Arkmer use Engagement Strike on figures that became adjacent to him by any means other than normal movement?

Thank You.

A KC Heroscaper who is Not in Kansas Anymore...
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM

drumtooth is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Arkmer's Engagement Strike 13

I would beleive so, yes.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM

KevinWC Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid6 View Post
I would beleive so, yes.
Could you explain why you think so?

Old June 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote from Grungebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejkl
A nice way around the Engagement Strike is to summon or carry someone adjacent to the Nakitas. Since the figure isn't moving into adjacency (it's being placed), there should be no ES.
wrong. The designers have stated that moving and placing are synonymous basically.
Hope this helps,
Newb.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Best Marvel Role-Player ('07 CoNny Award)

Troll Warrior is surprisingly tart

I would say yes as well. I'm too lazy to find the link, but it has been established that Jotun can throw a figure adjacent to an Egagement Striker, who could then roll for the Strike.

If thrown figures can be subject to the Strike, I see no reason figures moving of their own accord should not be subject to the same rules.

As a general rule, it's not the "how" that's important. Do what the card says, not what it doesn't.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM

KevinWC Woo who?

Thank you for the response everyone. Mystery Solved.
I am glad though that we didn't know the this at the time. My wolf pounce was the only highlight of the game for my army. I took out Arkmer with my next two wolves.

Old June 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Best Marvel Role-Player ('07 CoNny Award)

Troll Warrior is surprisingly tart

Well, since the Wolf didn't become adjacent to Arkmer until after it killed Kyntella and replaced her, Arkmer wouldn't have rolled against a Wolf in mid-leap.

As far as I'm concerned, your win is still legit.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:20 AM

KevinWC Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Warrior View Post
Well, since the Wolf didn't become adjacent to Arkmer until after it killed Kyntella and replaced her, Arkmer wouldn't have rolled against a Wolf in mid-leap.

As far as I'm concerned, your win is still legit.
Well, what I meant was the way my brother was rolling that wolf would have died after killing Kyntella Gwyn. My brother still won the game even after losing Gwyn and Arkmer. He still had Jordawn, Ulginesh, and Ullar's ninja (can't remember name ). My wolves almost killed Jordawn before they perished. The encounter at least gave me one last HURRAH before I was defeated.

Old June 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote from Grungebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
A nice way around the Engagement Strike is to summon or carry someone adjacent to the Nakitas. Since the figure isn't moving into adjacency (it's being placed), there should be no ES.
wrong. The designers have stated that moving and placing are synonymous basically.
Case closed. Nothing to see here, move on.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:31 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

Sounds like a fun game, despite the loss. I have yet to try the elves, but the wolves were a lot of fun to pounce with!
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

FYI, this is also in the new FAQ!

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post
FYI, this is also in the new FAQ!
Where?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's