Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM

Tolamos knows what's in an order marker Tolamos knows what's in an order marker
Unicorn and Caelryn Pre Auggie's Discussion

While browsing Auggie's bounty list, the Unicorn struck me as a fun figure to create. In some myths and legends that I've read, it is very beneficial to hunt a Unicorn. It's horn was said to have healing properties, and the power to be an antidote to poison. Also, in the Harry Potter book, drinking Unicorn blood added years to a person's life. However, despite the benefits of killing a Unicorn, it is usually unwise to do so. Unicorns are often described as being "pure" and innocent. Unicorns are attracted to maidens because they are alike. Because of this, killing a Unicorn is a terrible thing to do, and means that the slayer is twisted and demented. This was the main characteristic I tried to incorporate into this custom.

Next I wanted to create a Hero that could stand up for the Unicorns. With a few simple powers, I came up with the Druid Caelryn Woodsong. She has a strong bond with the Unicorns, but also works with everyone's favorite Gryphillin, Theracus. Her Slayer Hatred power is basically her way to get revenge on the heartless people who kill a Unicorn.

My Customs! Trades

"Say hello to my little friend!"

Last edited by Tolamos; April 9th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker
Re: Unicorn and Caelryn Pre Auggie's Discussion

I like the little combo you've made with these figures. Quite a bit different that the direction I went for making a custom of the unicorn. I think you could actually make distinct characters for those two scults though. If that one has synergy to, you'd almost have a complete army.
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks ElvenEnvy!

They are a nice little combo. They work well together, and in my unbiased (lol) opinion they are very well priced.

How about the sculpts? Which one should I use for Caelryn, and which one would be better for a different figure?

Well, what does everyone else think about these figures? Don't be shy! It's okay, I won't mind if you rip these figures apart, but just know that it is a crime to kill a unicorn.

My Customs! Trades

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

The first figure looks more to me like a druid to me. The slayer Hatred seems like a kind of magical power, and I think that figure better portrays that. The second with a bow, doesn't quite give off that same fluent feel.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Got it! One vote for figure number 1.

It seems like ElvenEnvy is the only one that has an opinion about this. Is everyone else concerned that their manhood will be in question if they express their love for Unicorns? Don't worry, I won't tell...

My Customs! Trades

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolamos View Post
It seems like ElvenEnvy is the only one that has an opinion about this. Is everyone else concerned that their manhood will be in question if they express their love for Unicorns? Don't worry, I won't tell...
Coincidentally my wife and I were just talking the other day about how irked we are that uncorns have become sissified, when mythologically they were pretty brutal (thanks Lisa Frank )

As far as Caelryn, I think I prefer the second one. She seems like more of a hunter/assasin type, while the first one looks like she should have some sort of magical abilties.

On the unicorn's card, you have stallion spelled with only one L several times, and you have "this" unnecessarily capitalized twice in ELaaP.

The more I consider ElaaP the more I like it-it has a subtly complexity.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM

double post

My Customs! Trades

Last edited by Tolamos; April 6th, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:37 PM

I'm glad you like ELaaP!
It's effect is very subtle at first glance. It can be good for the attacking figure, but it also can have very bad effects. It kinda knocks out bonding heroes like human champions and orcs. It make you opponent rethink killing a Unicorn.

I fixed the typos, and I will get the new card up soon.

Caelryn: That is one vote for #1 and one for #2. We are now tied! We need more votes!

My Customs! Trades

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

The issue with Unicorn Stallion is that it has potential to be both underpowered and overpowered at the same time depending on what unique hero kills it. Particularly since you can technically attack your own figures it almost seems like 80 points for resurrection of something. I am also a tad leery of forcing a change in species, class and personality by destruction of a figure. Either way I do believe that the chance would have to occur before the unicorn leaves play not after it does.

The Star Wars minis monk doesn't really work for me as an elf of any kind. That figure would be better used as a monk obviously.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
The issue with Unicorn Stallion is that it has potential to be both underpowered and overpowered at the same time depending on what unique hero kills it. Particularly since you can technically attack your own figures it almost seems like 80 points for resurrection of something. I am also a tad leery of forcing a change in species, class and personality by destruction of a figure. Either way I do believe that the chance would have to occur before the unicorn leaves play not after it does.

The Star Wars minis monk doesn't really work for me as an elf of any kind. That figure would be better used as a monk obviously.
What if I made ELaaP only work for enemy figures? This would make sense to me because if you destroy it with your own figure, you are putting it out of its misery, I guess.

I like changing the class and personality. That is definitely going to stay. I am hesitant about changing the species. However, I am going to need more opinions from other people before I make that decision.

So I guess that is another vote for figure #2, kinda.

@ Rob: What if I changed the species of Caelryn to Human? Would that make the figure fit better in your opinion?

By the way, thanks for the feedback everyone!

My Customs! Trades

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolamos View Post
While browsing Auggie's bounty list, the Unicorn struck me as a fun figure to create. In some myths and legends that I've read, it is very beneficial to hunt a Unicorn. It's horn was said to have healing properties, and the power to be an antidote to poison. Also, in the Harry Potter book, drinking Unicorn blood added years to a person's life. However, despite the benefits of killing a Unicorn, it is usually unwise to do so. Unicorns are often described as being "pure" and innocent. Unicorns are attracted to maidens because they are alike. Because of this, killing a Unicorn is a terrible thing to do, and means that the slayer is twisted and demented. This was the main characteristic I tried to incorporate into this custom.

Next I wanted to create a Hero that could stand up for the Unicorns. With a few simple powers, I came up with the Druid Caelryn Woodsong. She has a strong bond with the Unicorns, but also works with everyone's favorite Gryphillin, Theracus. Her Slayer Hatred power is basically her way to get revenge on the heartless people who kill a Unicorn. I could not decide which figure to use (I like them both) so I am really hoping for opinions.

or
Heya Tolomos, I have somoene who did a card for the elf archer and listed it already but don't worry about it. I think I have figured out a way to offer both so don't let that stop you from completing this one. I really like all 3 and the combos. Small themes/synergies like this I think are awsome though that's just me.
.......Andrew

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Oh, that's no problem, I can just use the other sculpt and call her "Human" instead of "elf." That makes that decision easy. Thanks Auggie! I will have these cards to you as soon as I get enough thumbs up from the community.

My Customs! Trades

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards