Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 3rd, 2021, 07:50 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Thanks! I'll mock up the card and do some testing before submitting to the SoV thread then.
Old January 7th, 2021, 06:47 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey all! I’d like to try my first hand at an SoV submission. This is for the mini I posted in the C3V suggestion thread: Arcturia #039 from Icons of the Realms: Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I want to make her an Aquilla Kyrie centred around insects and her devotion/fascination towards them.

CARD TEXT
Spoiler Alert!

The availability numbers as of 21st December 2020 are below, first number being the painted version, and the second being the unpainted version:
  • Miniature Market - 7, 7
  • Noble Knight Games - 1
  • Troll and Toad - 11, 3
  • Cool Stuff Inc - 4, 1
  • RPG Locker - 10, 1
  • Beholder the Bargains - 2
  • Tritex - 11, 4

eBay nets you roughly 32 (not including troll and toad’s or tritex's eBay store) prepainted, and 11 unpainted, and that's not including international. Overall, it comes to 78 of the prepainted, and another 27 if you want to include the unpainted. Non-eBay is 46, 16.

A main question at the moment is, is the availability enough to warrant pushing this further? I did not realise eBay is not accepted for submissions until Shiftrex’s Tatomb submission (which I can see why, but it hampers availability here somewhat), so if this would be turned away due to availability, I will most likely hold back on the submission since finding a replacement mini would be almost impossible.
Old January 7th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

First, cheers for choosing an insect-winged figure for an Aquillan Kyrie. That's an absolute must to me; I love how the ODs made different styles of "winged human" for the different factions of kyrie, and insect-winged seems so appropriate for Aquilla.

A fair number of people like to press the "all kyrie have cheerleader powers" thing, though I personally don't care about that myself. I don't mind a kyrie with a special attack.

As a unit, though, Valtia is bad. It takes a lot of effort to set up a good attack--using mostly fragile figures--all to hopefully get a single attack that's just pretty good (assuming you guessed right with order marker placement). Once enemies are surrounded by your insects you're better off just activating the insects anyway. And Valtia does nothing once the insects are killed off.
Old January 8th, 2021, 11:16 AM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
First, cheers for choosing an insect-winged figure for an Aquillan Kyrie. That's an absolute must to me; I love how the ODs made different styles of "winged human" for the different factions of kyrie, and insect-winged seems so appropriate for Aquilla.

A fair number of people like to press the "all kyrie have cheerleader powers" thing, though I personally don't care about that myself. I don't mind a kyrie with a special attack.

As a unit, though, Valtia is bad. It takes a lot of effort to set up a good attack--using mostly fragile figures--all to hopefully get a single attack that's just pretty good (assuming you guessed right with order marker placement). Once enemies are surrounded by your insects you're better off just activating the insects anyway. And Valtia does nothing once the insects are killed off.
Thanks for the feedback on this! Would you say this special attack is not workable for the insects without being incredibly powerful, and needs re-designing entirely then? I did have a couple of other drafts that played differently, one being:

OVIPOSITION
If Valtia the Kyrie Warrior destroys an opponent’s figure with her normal attack, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with a previously destroyed Common Insect you control. Soulborgs and Constructs are not affected by this special attack.

INFESTED
If Valtia is destroyed by an opponent’s figure, before removing her from the battlefield, you may place up to 3 previously destroyed Common Insects you control on any empty spaces adjacent to Valtia. After placing any Insects with this special power, remove Valtia from the battlefield.

FLYING

This might not be best for her per say, but would an insect revival route be a better way to take her?
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looking for some feedback on this guy! Not concerned with figure availability, just looking to get this custom to a similar level as the things that the SoV has produced. Thanks for any comments.

- - - - - - -

Incursion
Warforged Titan

Frontal Assault - Strategic Field Commanders (2/3)

The figure used is Shield Guardian #027 from Waterdeep Dragon Heist.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:08 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinderella View Post
OVIPOSITION
If Valtia the Kyrie Warrior destroys an opponent’s figure with her normal attack, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with a previously destroyed Common Insect you control. Soulborgs and Constructs are not affected by this special attack.

INFESTED
If Valtia is destroyed by an opponent’s figure, before removing her from the battlefield, you may place up to 3 previously destroyed Common Insects you control on any empty spaces adjacent to Valtia. After placing any Insects with this special power, remove Valtia from the battlefield.

FLYING

This might not be best for her per say, but would an insect revival route be a better way to take her?
That just feels like a dark direction for a pleasant-looking figure. Insects bursting out of figures? Cool, but feels dark.

If I were going with an Insect theme, I'd do something like Insect Leadership. Or an attack and/or defense aura, if you wanted her to be more active.
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:16 PM

As a defender of D&D canon in Heroscape, using a Shield Guardian as a Warforged is a no-go. To anyone who knows D&D, those are different things, and Heroscape D&D canon is normal D&D canon.

The design is pretty cool, though. I quite like the name Incursion, and Juggernaut is a good class. I don't think Inspiring works with an otherwise "intimidating" theme, and I don't like Overshadow as the name of that power. Also, +3 move feels over-the-top; should be 2.
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
As a defender of D&D canon in Heroscape, using a Shield Guardian as a Warforged is a no-go. To anyone who knows D&D, those are different things, and Heroscape D&D canon is normal D&D canon.

The design is pretty cool, though. I quite like the name Incursion, and Juggernaut is a good class. I don't think Inspiring works with an otherwise "intimidating" theme, and I don't like Overshadow as the name of that power. Also, +3 move feels over-the-top; should be 2.
You're probably right, I guess you cant identify a shield guardian with the warforged titans of old. I'll just remove the affiliation with that race, the iconic power and roll it back up into defense. Glad I at least did better with a name lol

GENERAL = VYDAR
PLANET = EBERRON
SPECIES = CONSTRUCT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = JUGGERNAUT
PERSONALITY = INTIMIDATING
SIZE/HEIGHT = LARGE 7

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 4
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 5
POINTS = 110

ADVANCE OF METAL
After revealing an Order Marker on Incursion, you may choose up to three small or medium Warforged figures within clear sight of Incursion that you control and move them up to 3 spaces each. If you do not move any other figures then add 2 to Incursion's Move number this turn.

OVERPOWER
When Incursion rolls an attack against a small or medium figure, add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled.
Old January 8th, 2021, 12:29 PM

Yeah, I like that better. It feels harsh to give up a third of your movement to move some Warforged a bit, but maybe it's worth it for early game board control.
Old January 8th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That just feels like a dark direction for a pleasant-looking figure. Insects bursting out of figures? Cool, but feels dark.

If I were going with an Insect theme, I'd do something like Insect Leadership. Or an attack and/or defense aura, if you wanted her to be more active.
Arcturia herself seems rather dark, she's something called a Worm That Walks, and her true form is an amalgamation of worms.

I'm not against a basic stat buff aura but I'm leaning a bit more towards a having something different for her to stand out from other cheerleaders that often are "buff stat +1".
I've listed some other ideas I've come up with or suggested to me. Names aren't set in stone, but I like the idea of emphasising the swarming/rushdown nature of some of the insects

INFESTATION SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4 Attack 1+
Choose an opponent’s figure engaged with at least 1 Insect you control. Roll an additional attack die for each common Insect you control adjacent to the chosen figure, and 2 additional attack dice for each Unique Insect you control adjacent to the chosen figure, to a maximum of +5 attack dice. After attacking with this special attack, you may move up to 3 Insects you control up to 4 spaces each, or up to 6 Insects you control up to 4 spaces if the defending figure was destroyed.

INFESTATION SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 4 Attack 1+
Choose an opponent’s figure engaged with at least 1 Insect you control. Roll an additional attack die for each common Insect you control adjacent to the chosen figure, and 2 additional attack dice for each Unique Insect you control adjacent to the chosen figure, to a maximum of +5 attack dice. After attacking with this special attack, you may attack with this special attack up to two additional times. You cannot attack the same figure more than once during this turn.

INSECT INVASION
All Insects you control that start their turn within 6 clear sight spaces of Valtia the Kyrie Warrior do not roll for any leaving engagement attacks this turn.

INSECT PLAGUE
If you win initiative, before revealing any Order Markers, you may move up to 6 Insects you control up to 3 spaces each.

HIVE SURVIVAL
At the beginning of the round, if there is at least one Order Marker on this Army Card, you may place one previously destroyed Common Insect adjacent to Valtia the Kyrie Warrior.
Old January 8th, 2021, 04:21 PM

It is a common mistake for custom creators to believe that a unit can't be different if it's powers are similar to pre-existing powers.
Old January 8th, 2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I like that better. It feels harsh to give up a third of your movement to move some Warforged a bit, but maybe it's worth it for early game board control.
Is it possible that I could get away with moving more... like Urk does with Goblins or am I pushing the envelope there?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards