Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Jealous. I would love to get enough people to play Railways of the World. I have most of the maps, but we always end up having to play Mexico since we normally only have 2-3 players.

SotM is a really cool game. Has always felt more like being a super hero than Legendary or DC Comic Card Game, but my kids like brand name heroes. They have never wanted to play it.

My daughter and I squeezed in a Krosmaster: Arena battle last night before bed. She won pretty easily with Darkness, Flame, and Drop Knights against my 3 Cat army Danny O'Shun, Naz Rael, and Quentin Flush along with Jems Blond and Di Curry. Too much resistance to overcome with Darkness Knight gaining the resistances of all other knights in play. I thought Japanime Games was going to start competitive play soon. Hopefully it catches on soon. Still waiting for my Frigost KS stuff to add in.
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I'm a huge SotM fan myself. I like it a lot better than Legendary. We've enjoyed the latest expansion quite a bit.

Been playing through LotR: LCG and Myth lately.
And as always some Dragon Dice on the side.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; March 25th, 2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: boom
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
How has the learning curve been? I printed out a few aids and unofficial FAQ. I want to dig into it, but all of the negative chatter has kept me from doing anything other than prepare for wave 2.
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
How has the learning curve been? I printed out a few aids and unofficial FAQ. I want to dig into it, but all of the negative chatter has kept me from doing anything other than prepare for wave 2.
I have been enjoying it quite a bit. The rules aren't that bad IMO. The idea is pretty simple. Are there a few things you have to scour the rulebook for or "houserule"? Sure, but there are very few games that you don't have to do that for.

I love the idea of setting up a tile easier or harder (depending if I'm playing with my daughter or gaming buddies) and then turning over the Act quest to see what will happen next and making the story up as you go!

The minis are great. The way the cards, actions, and threat work is a real cool mechanic.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; March 25th, 2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Boom!!
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
We had our first playthrough this past weekend. As MM stated, the rules aren't all that bad, all things considered, and the game is pretty good. I think a good way to think of it is Castle Ravenloft hooked up with Mice and Mystics, lol.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Jealous. I would love to get enough people to play Railways of the World. I have most of the maps, but we always end up having to play Mexico since we normally only have 2-3 players.

SotM is a really cool game. Has always felt more like being a super hero than Legendary or DC Comic Card Game, but my kids like brand name heroes. They have never wanted to play it.

My daughter and I squeezed in a Krosmaster: Arena battle last night before bed. She won pretty easily with Darkness, Flame, and Drop Knights against my 3 Cat army Danny O'Shun, Naz Rael, and Quentin Flush along with Jems Blond and Di Curry. Too much resistance to overcome with Darkness Knight gaining the resistances of all other knights in play. I thought Japanime Games was going to start competitive play soon. Hopefully it catches on soon. Still waiting for my Frigost KS stuff to add in.
Funny you mention Railways G-O, there was a 6 player game of Railways of Western U.S. going on last night. I wasn't in on it though. There are some pretty hardcore Railways fans in our group, so I imagine they have every expansion/variation of it. I've gotten to play it a few times and enjoy it, though sometimes games don't start until 9pm or so and I have to get up at 5:30am, so I miss the later games as I try to get out between 9-10:30.

I haven't played the DC comic card game, but have tried Legendary once. I agree that SoTM is by far superior in getting the feeling of playing a superhero. While not the name brand heroes, after playing the game a handful of times, you can get the feeling of this comic universe and the heroes/villains are cool like the name brand ones.

Krosmaster Arena looks cool and I would get into it if I knew my girls would play it, but they are fickle when it comes to gaming. It's hit or miss and I don't want to drop a lot of money on a game geared toward my kids if they won't want to play it. It looks really cool though for sure.

Quote:
I'm a huge SotM fan myself. I like it a lot better than Legendary. We've enjoyed the latest expansion quite a bit.

And as always some Dragon Dice on the side.

I agree MM, SotM is better than Legendary. Cool to see you into the LOTR:LCG lately too. It's fun re-discovering how great this game is.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have been enjoying it quite a bit. The rules aren't that bad IMO. The idea is pretty simple. Are there a few things you have to scour the rulebook for or "houserule"? Sure, but there are very few games that you don't have to do that for.

I love the idea of setting up a tile easier or harder (depending if I'm playing with my daughter or gaming buddies) and then turning over the Act quest to see what will happen next and making the story up as you go!

The minis are great. The way the cards, actions, and threat work is a real cool mechanic.

I've seen a lot of the negative chatter as well for Myth and take some of it with a grain of salt. I'm sure the rules could be better for sure, but when some people say it's unplayable, then I have to wonder because a lot of people enjoy the game despite the rules issues. So obviously it's playable, but maybe more work is required than some people like. Of course, the rules should be better in the areas that most people agree that there are problems with, but from what I've read, the game is fun when you are willing to spend some time with the rules first and looking on BGG or the company's website for rules questions.

Mice and Mystics, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Sergeants Miniatures Game, Kemet Robinson Crusoe and others have had people rip on their rule books, and while they maybe could be improved upon, they aren't as bad as people have made them out to be.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Finished off the last of the first expansion (that came with the base game) for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. All the Henchmen and the Villain were buried deep, so it was touch and go for a bit, especially when I had a chance to close a location, needing only a 7 combined on a D6, D8, and D10, and rolled three 1's!

Then we played Marvel Legendary with a Hero deck playing off of wounds (Colossus, Wolverine, Human Torch, Hulk, and Professor X as a throw in). It was pretty nasty, and not even a Baby Hope hunting Apocalypse stood a chance. Real close game (43-38-36) with me finishing in the middle.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 25th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Ouch! Three 1's Bats

Congrats on finishing that one.

Don't know much about Legendary as I've only tried it once, but those look like some pretty close scores. I like close finishes, adds some tension during the final tally

Old March 26th, 2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Krosmaster Arena looks cool and I would get into it if I knew my girls would play it, but they are fickle when it comes to gaming. It's hit or miss and I don't want to drop a lot of money on a game geared toward my kids if they won't want to play it. It looks really cool though for sure.
I only got it because my daughter absolutely fell in love with the minis (it has nothing to do with a problem I share with many on these forums ). It is a surprisingly deep game with multiple paths to victory. I bought everything for it in the KS, but have been giving the expansion packs to her as little rewards for different things over the past year to keep her excited about it. The only thing I dislike about it is the game board. Heroscape has spoiled me/us. Two choices will never be enough. Frigost should add two more and there are some Mine boards that are part of that KS. This game adapted to Heroscape type maps would be awesome.

EDIT: Played Clue FX last night. It was Rusty in the garden with the gardening shears.
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Prickly Cactus

Yeah, I agree that Heroscape has spoiled us with so many map size/shape options, as well as the vertical in-game element with the 3D terrain.

Kromaster did seem deeper than just cutsie minis, but I'd hate to have it sit on the shelf. If I knew my girls would dig it and want to play it, I'd buy it for sure.

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:18 AM

Finally got wave 2 of Zombicide S2, so we started a game yesterday using all new survivors. I am using The Dude and Walter from The Big Lebowski and Snake Plissken. My buddy is using Shaun and Ed from Shaun of the Dead and John from The Rock. Walter has a bowling ball weapon card you add to the search deck which is awesome. Things were going well until we opened a big building that spawned many toxic and berserker walkers and runners and 2 abominations (we are still in the blue!). For those who don't play, big buildings usually have multiple length paths to the most noise which cause hordes to split evenly which often adds extra zombies as they move, in our case more than once. We are in the midst of a dramatic strategy shift which will either result in quick death today or a reversal of fortune. Have I mentioned I love this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Kromaster did seem deeper than just cutsie minis, but I'd hate to have it sit on the shelf. If I knew my girls would dig it and want to play it, I'd buy it for sure.
You should definitely see if you could get them to play a demo copy. I wouldn't say buy it yet because my daughter loves it, but it is still hit or miss. She will ask to play it 3 or 4 days in a row, then it will sit for a month. It is probably my fault for giving too many choices. Who knows maybe the government will start regulating board games and solve my problem for me.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; March 27th, 2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Probably will pay for it, but couldn't help the gov't jab.
Old March 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

My wife got me A Few Acres of Snow. I read the rules summary and then skimmed the rules. It looks like it mixes elements of Dominion and territory control games with a hair if settling games like Catan. It looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully we'll be able to try it this weekend.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games