Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Arrow Geographical Map of Valhalla

AliasQTip’s Geographical Map of Valhalla

After reading a thread about “The Most Important Map Ever” I had a really cool idea: A geographical map of Valhalla! I’ve always loved maps, especially those interactive satellite maps (i.e. Google Earth), and I imagined what Valhalla might look like from space. I wanted to create a “modern day” map of Valhalla showing all the terrain and locations players of the game would be familiar with.

Official Map of Valhalla

I have started by cleaning up the original Valhalla map we all know and love; stripping it down to its bare bones. I then created labels for the various “countries” and well known map features: mountains, seas, etc.

Valhalla Map Blueprint (In Progress)

At that point I realized I needed a lot more to make the world feel real. Real maps have a wealth of information on them. So I started looking through the HeroScape Compendium produced by Annerios, Hex_Enduction_Hour, and Hextr1p. (This is an absolutely fantastic resource when writing scenarios.) I found a lot of places that I was unfamiliar with; some of which, I was really interested in putting on my map. However, a few of the actual locations are unknown or not mentioned.

Geographical Map Teaser Image

I’ve also started the daunting task of “painting” real terrain onto the map of Valhalla. I grab textures from my favorite sat-image map program. (I actually made my own map-program/sidebar-gadget using Microsoft’s VisualEarth SDK.) It’s really time consuming but so far I’m quite happy with the results.

I’ve created this thread to get a little input from the community. Some regions aren’t described in great detail and a number of locations remain lost. That’s where you all come in. Here’s a list of what I need help with…

Where should the following places be located?
Aaryglynn Stronghold, Bloodred River, Caelios, Cave of Shadows, Concan's Castle, Tarn of Volsunga, Tealeron, The Towers, Valgrind, and Willenshire Tombs.

What is the correct placement of Migol’s Tomb (Barrenspur), in Southern Laur or Northern Jutanguard?

What do these countries look like?
Athenock, Aunstrom, Ekstrom, Haukeland, Kinsland, Ostriyick, and Upper Bleakwoode.

What are the propper spellings of... ?
Bleakwoode, Bleakwood, or Bleakewoode; Jutanguard or Jotungard; Lindsfarme or Lindesfarme; Nastralund, Nostralund, or Nastraland; Thaelenk or Thaelink.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Geographical Map of Valhalla

I'd like to know more about Haukeland, to be honest. We need some figures to go along with it.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I created a battlefield that took place on one of the islands of Haukeland. Here's a link if you're interested: Lava Flow Battlefield. I imagine the smaller islands are like Hawaii, volcanic and lush. The main bulk of the land, however, remains a mystery.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As for spellings, the only one I'm certain of are Nostralund, Lindesfarme, and Thaelenk. Just go with what it says on the box.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
As for spellings, the only one I'm certain of are Nostralund, Lindesfarme, and Thaelenk. Just go with what it says on the box.
Unfortunately, the creators of HeroScape weren't completely consistent with location names. There are some spellings I prefer over others. Personally, I just chalk it up changes in place names over the years. For example, at one time Laur was called Lür. So, in effect, I'm asking, "What are the best "modern" versions of these place names?"
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

I've always thought that map has a striking resemblance to a distorted map of the western hemisphere. If you think of the tundra as the Arctic Circle, right below it you have a large mass of land with a mountain range running through the center (Rocky Mountain Range, anyone?), then Volcarren Wasteland below that (Central America is volcanic if I remember correctly). Below that you have a continent with the massive Ticalla Jungle (Amazon Rainforest) and a mountain range running along its western coast.

Going along with this theory, we could probably assume that Haukeland is actually Greenland (and that Jandar's CANADIAN!). Granted, it is farther south, so it could actually be a reference to the legend of the lost continent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Always knew Jandar was Canadian eh!

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM

bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cool! I like this idea.

MSE: Easy Heroscape Card Creation
V2.5 Expanded Glyphs
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I've always thought that map has a striking resemblance to a distorted map of the western hemisphere. If you think of the tundra as the Arctic Circle, right below it you have a large mass of land with a mountain range running through the center (Rocky Mountain Range, anyone?), then Volcarren Wasteland below that (Central America is volcanic if I remember correctly). Below that you have a continent with the massive Ticalla Jungle (Amazon Rainforest) and a mountain range running along its western coast.

Going along with this theory, we could probably assume that Haukeland is actually Greenland (and that Jandar's CANADIAN!). Granted, it is farther south, so it could actually be a reference to the legend of the lost continent...
Wow...good analysis and comparison.

While I'm not to familiar with the "physical layout" of Valhalla, this is an awesome idea. Would really help for scenario writing and even serve as some inspiration for new battlefields.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Gold1 knows what's in an order marker Gold1 knows what's in an order marker

I always picture Kinsland to have mountains on the western side and between the searing pass there would be a plain, or grassland. Very easy to have battles in unless you wish to stay within the mountains.
For spelling I'd go Bleakwoode, Jotungard, LindesFarme, Nastralund, and Thaelenk. I chose these ones because these are on the map which I believe to be of the current war, that is assuming that your doing a map on whats going on right now. They also sound better or rather look better to me. Its really a tomayto, tomahto thing, I'm sure some people from Nastralund say "Bleakewood" while residents of that country say "
Bleakwoode".
As for the locations I really don't have a clue, I didn't even know some of these actually existed.
Hope this helps, good luck with the rest of the map.

Check out my fanfics.
Ceasefire
JointStoryThread
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
While I'm not to familiar with the "physical layout" of Valhalla, this is an awesome idea. Would really help for scenario writing and even serve as some inspiration for new battlefields.
I myself am always looking for new exciting battlefield ideas. Inspiration doesn't always come easy. I too would like this to be another tool used in the scenario writing process. It will be in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold1 View Post
For spelling I'd go Bleakwoode, Jotungard, LindesFarme, Nastralund, and Thaelenk.
As for the locations I really don't have a clue, I didn't even know some of these actually existed.
Although I had originally called Jotungard, Jutanguard, I'm considering the change. I think your right on the money, Gold1. (Hey, that's kinda funny.)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM

Reynard the Fox Woo who?

This sounds like a fantastic idea, and also a hard one. I'm actually taking a geography class so maybe I can help you with the map features.

As for your question of what Ekstrom would look like, not taking into account any descriptions given about the place, I could definitely tell you that the area around Ullar's castle, and the entire coast, would definitely be warmer and more mild in climate than the rest of the region. That's what usually happens in coastal areas.

I see that there is a swamp in the southern part of Ekstrom, which means that that particular area must get seasonal and particularly strong rainfall. Swamps and marshes are subdivisions of wetlands, and wetlands must be seasonally flooded with water to be wetlands. That would apply for the areas south of Ekstrom too.

Also, environmentally speaking, swamps are dominated by trees, while marshes on the other hand are dominated by herbaceous plants (not trees).

Does this help you at all?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction