Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old July 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Relnvar Woo who?
Relnvar's Custom Obstacles

Hi all, I've been a bit of a lurker around here for a while, but lately I've been working on my own custom terrain and obstacles after seeing some of the great work of the people on this forum.

My first custom is what I call the "Runestone of Igroff". Glyphs always seemed cool to me, but I also wanted some powerups which you always know what they do. So, going along with the whole Valhalla and Norse mythology based theme of HS, I decided to make a runestone (More info about Runestones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runestone).

The runestone is made out of Sculpey clay, and I used the following paints:
Apple "Barrel 20504 Black"
Delta "Ceramacoat Yellow"
Folk Art 2225 "Ocean Cruise"
Folk Art 440 "Violet Pansy"
and
Folk Art 437 "Lipstick Red"

A minion of Utgar at the Runestone

The Runestone on it's own

When I use it, I generally like to put some molten lava around the stone to make it a bit more interesting.

The rules I made for the runestone are:
After stepping adjacent to the runestone, that figure may treat molten lava as normal ground (no need to roll the 20 side), rolls an extra 2 defence dice when being attacked with fire based special attacks, rolls 3 extra attack dice when on Solidified lava spaces, and 5 extra attack dice when on molten lava spaces.
The rules might not be very good, so if you can make some rules that would be more fair, please do tell. Criticism is needed.

Thanks for looking !

For the whole album, check out http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/u...20of%20Igraff/ .

I'll be working on some more stuff, so expect more a bit later.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Relnvar's Custom Obstacles

I really like that. If you had several, you could make an incredible Volcarren map.

I definitely think it would benefit from being blended into the base-hex. Anything red and goopy that looks like lava bubbling around the base of the stone would look great.

As far as the rules for the stone, here's my great idea:

Make it a draft-able figure with a 0 Move (like the hive). For the ability, go with "Any figure within clear line of sight of the Runstone of Igroff may treat lava spaces as normal terrain." Give it Attack and Defense stats. Then, if it comes under attack, whoever controls it will have a chance to scramble all their troops off the lava field before it gets destroyed. You could leave certain troops behind to defend the runestone while everyone else crosses the lava field.

I'm not sure how to incorporate "fire-based" attacks, which is not a term that's easy to define for gameplay purposes. If you said, for example "Any special attack with 'Fire' in its name," I would probably take the 4th Mass and hit you with a lot of dice.

I kicked your rep into the green for you. Welcome to the site.

Last edited by spiteofthedice; July 17th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like it! it would be nice though to make it seem in the terrain more. To make it seem more natural.

However I really do like it,the flames are magnificent!

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I like it and agree that the tie in with the base could be better. Perhaps get some sand (or similar texture) and glue it to the base. Leave some thin variable lines in the sand that go down to the base. Paint the thin lines (veins of lava) red/orangish, and then paint the sand black. Heck, you might even be able to find black sand or something like that at a model train shop.

Otherwise I think it's really cool looking and like the idea.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Relnvar Woo who?

Hey guys, thank you all for the warm welcome and feedback, it's really appreciated !

So my plan now is to attempt to make the rune stone blend into the base, seeing as that black line is really unappealing. so what would be the best way to go about attaching it to the hex? Since it is made of clay, would drilling into it be a very good idea, or should I stick with superglue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, @spiteofthedice, thank you so much for the great
idea! I think those rules would work a lot better than mine. I'm going to have a friend come over to play a few games, so I'll be sure to try that rule set out!

Once again, thanks a ton guys !
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relnvar View Post
Hey guys, thank you all for the warm welcome and feedback, it's really appreciated !

So my plan now is to attempt to make the rune stone blend into the base, seeing as that black line is really unappealing. so what would be the best way to go about attaching it to the hex? Since it is made of clay, would drilling into it be a very good idea, or should I stick with superglue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome

About blending, I say add more clay around the bottom, so it looks like more lava cooled AROUND the runestone. And you could do that lava mostly red like it already is. That might not solve the problem, though.

Drilling doesn't seem like a very good idea at all, but I've never done customs so take my words VERY lightly.

Is there anything you could use to just fill that gap?
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Relnvar Woo who?

Thanks for the suggestion Warlord! I think I could try a little bit of air-dry clay. That can probably fill the gap and blend it into the base. I'll post some updated pics later.
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Warlord! I think I could try a little bit of air-dry clay. That can probably fill the gap and blend it into the base. I'll post some updated pics later.
I think air dry clay would be perfect, and like Hahma said, make some lava veins running down. Make it look like it's drawing power from the lava.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Smiter Woo who?

Pretty freakin' cool. I think it might benefit from having the runes in lava color though. Just a thought, don't mind me. I wish I had a few of these...and some lava now I think about it.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Timemaster4 is surprisingly tart

The idea feels like something that should actually be in official heroscape. You should definately add water, ice, and swamp water ones. Maybe a shadow one for the upcoming dndscape (). The water stone would allow figures not to stop in water, perhaps, ect.

Save a Dragon; click my egg:
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM

Relnvar Woo who?

Hey everyone, sorry about the threadmance. I really haven't had too much time for the past few months (I'll just leave it at family problems.) But I finally have had some time to work on customs again. So my next project is a Grut Orc camp, which might work pretty well in DnD scape for a mission, or just to be nice scenery for plain old 'Scape!

So, without further ado (I hope I used that in the right context ), here are the first few pieces (also, sorry about the poor quality, I don't have a digital camera at the moment, so a cell phone camera will have to do for now.)

The first is a Standard of Utgar. For this I used:
(skull) Sculpey clay, Anita's Acrylic paint 'Black' 11002, Apple Barrel 'Nutmeg brown' 20432, and folk Art 'Linen' 420
(flag) some suede cloth, colored over with a red marker and the Utgar symbol drawn on with a sharpie marker
(the rest) two dowel rods 3/16"x12", sculpey clay for the rock base, clump foliage medium green, some sort of plastic plants, and some brown hemp cord.

The next are some crude wall thingies (still working on a better name.)
They are from a Megabloks dragons set. I don't remember the name, but I know it's an ice covered ship of some kind. I painted them black (Anita's as mentioned above) and drybrushed them with nutmeg brown (Apple Barrel), then to make them a little more eyecatching, I painted the ropes holding them together red (Folk Art 'Lipstick Red' 437) and added a little bit of light green clump foliage. They won't really work as a LoS blocker needless to say.

The walls can have figures on the hexes, but it's sort of iffy, seeing as they are hard to get all the way onto the center of the hex. (like this: http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/u...222091127a.jpg.) The Standard fits pretty well on a hex, so no worries about it. I've come close to dropping it a few times (which was fun for my adrenal glands), and I did drop it from a lower elevation onto my carpet, but the antlers seem to be pretty tough.

Well that's all for today. Thanks for reading! The rest of the album can be found here: http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20Orc%20Camp/ .
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Good job with both.
I know it seems like a small thing, but I really like the ropework on the walls.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles