Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of the Fen Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Sox_1 View Post
OK so the Hydra has four points marked on the card to determine line-of-sight from. When using the Reach power, line of sight is required as it is a ranged attack. So what would the rule be about using the different targeting points? Can you use one targeting point for more than one attack in one turn? Thematically, it wounds like each targeting point should be used once if the Hydra has enough lives left to attack multiple times, but to my knowledge the rulebook says nothing on this subject. Just wondering...
Remember, it is a game, not a simulation. Theme is fun, but doesn't determine mechanics. We do what the card says, not what it doesn't

Last edited by Cavalier; April 4th, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
OK so the Hydra has four points marked on the card to determine line-of-sight from. When using the Reach power, line of sight is required as it is a ranged attack. So what would the rule be about using the different targeting points? Can you use one targeting point for more than one attack in one turn? Thematically, it wounds like each targeting point should be used once if the Hydra has enough lives left to attack multiple times, but to my knowledge the rulebook says nothing on this subject. Just wondering...
Remember, it is a game, not a simulation. Theme is fun, but doesn't determine mechanics. We do what the card saya, not what it doesn't
If you want theme, you can always house rule it. One attack per head.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Remember, it is a game, not a simulation. Theme is fun, but doesn't determine mechanics. We do what the card saya, not what it doesn't
Do what the card saya, not what it don'ta!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Red_Sox_1 is surprisingly tart

OK thanks guys
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

I put the answer in the Clarifications section, Sox. I had the same question at first too, so I'm sure it won'ta be the lasta time.

~Spite
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Maybe it can make sense thematically. If at least one head can see an enemy figure, the Hydra knows where it is at. Then the other heads can get to it too.

Head number 1: Hey guys, see that elf guy over in the bushes?

Head number 2: I see a guy in the bushes, but he's not an elf.

Head number 1: Well, he looks like one.

Head number 3: They dressed him up like that. He's obviosly not an elf. He's a half-elf, don't you see the distinctive ears? Only one is pointed, the other is round.

Head number 1: Well what's the difference then, other than the non-pointed ear, between an elf and that thing.

Head number 2: Well you see, the Elves are a rather snobby lot, and very into racial purity and all that. They won't help out anyone who's not a pure-blood 100% elf like them. They won't help out those darker elves, or those Eladrin types (despite there being no obvious difference between them), and they certainly won't help out any half-elf mutt.

Head number 4: So if the Elves don't have anything to do with anyone who's not an elf, how did that guy come about?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
The Hydra is an absolute beast, and I think the single best candidate for any kind of boost. Move glyph or Eldgrim's spirit? Bump this lizard up a bit and get it to the fight quicker. Raelin or Thorgrim? Go from 6 to 7 on the defense and keep the Lawnmower alive even longer. Taelord or Finn? 4 attacks of 4 are good, 4 attacks of 5 are better.

An interesting question just struck me. Does the Hydra get a boost from an adjacent Finn if using Reach? The Hydra's card says it has a range of 1, but the special ability says you add one to the range, but the number in the range box is still 1. I'm thinking you wouldn't add the boost when using reach. It would make sense to be able to from a thematic sense because it's still a melee attack, but I don't think it works in a gameplay sense.
I saw some people post about this but no real solid answer and I think it does need one. I could see good points for both sides, that the Hydra gets the bonus at a range of two and a range of one as well. I think however it will only get the bonus for adjacent figures though, the line "Fen Hydra may add 1 to it's range" does in fact make it's range 2 and no longer able to receive the bonus for that attack only. Now a real question is why was the Hydra's range not just made to be 2 instead of 1 in the first place? Effectivly it would be the same as it is right now except that if it's range were just made 2 and the reach ability removed then Finn would never work with it. Thats also a point that makes me think that it is possible that Finn would work with him even when using reach.

Also another point that someone made about attacking something over the top of a rat. This would be an illegal attack because if the Hydra is engaged it still has to attack the rat first, once it kills it though and has no more engagments, then it could use the reach to attack a further target.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurhero View Post
Now a real question is why was the Hydra's range not just made to be 2 instead of 1 in the first place? Effectivly it would be the same as it is right now except that if it's range were just made 2 and the reach ability removed then Finn would never work with it. Thats also a point that makes me think that it is possible that Finn would work with him even when using reach.
The point was to limit the height that the range could occur at. The Hydra cannot sit in a castle and reach down to the ground...
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM

deathinc is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Also another point that someone made about attacking something over the top of a rat. This would be an illegal attack because if the Hydra is engaged it still has to attack the rat first, once it kills it though and has no more engagments, then it could use the reach to attack a further target.
Could they have meant attacking over their OWN rat?

Successful Trades with: J4Jandar (multiple trades), Carnival Man, Draconious, Porkins, KCU Master 2007, 'Scaper94, -KTZ-XXleprecaunXX, Melwing17
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
The Hydra is an absolute beast, and I think the single best candidate for any kind of boost. Move glyph or Eldgrim's spirit? Bump this lizard up a bit and get it to the fight quicker. Raelin or Thorgrim? Go from 6 to 7 on the defense and keep the Lawnmower alive even longer. Taelord or Finn? 4 attacks of 4 are good, 4 attacks of 5 are better.

An interesting question just struck me. Does the Hydra get a boost from an adjacent Finn if using Reach? The Hydra's card says it has a range of 1, but the special ability says you add one to the range, but the number in the range box is still 1. I'm thinking you wouldn't add the boost when using reach. It would make sense to be able to from a thematic sense because it's still a melee attack, but I don't think it works in a gameplay sense.
I saw some people post about this but no real solid answer and I think it does need one. I could see good points for both sides, that the Hydra gets the bonus at a range of two and a range of one as well. I think however it will only get the bonus for adjacent figures though, the line "Fen Hydra may add 1 to it's range" does in fact make it's range 2 and no longer able to receive the bonus for that attack only. Now a real question is why was the Hydra's range not just made to be 2 instead of 1 in the first place? Effectivly it would be the same as it is right now except that if it's range were just made 2 and the reach ability removed then Finn would never work with it. Thats also a point that makes me think that it is possible that Finn would work with him even when using reach.

Reach is a ranged attack, and as such is changed by anything and everything that affects ranged attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "clarifications" section in the first post of this very same thread
REACH = Ranged Attack
Q: If the Fen Hydra Attacks a figure 2 spaces away using its REACH Special Ability, does the Reach-ed figure receive the Defense Bonus from Jungle Trees and Brush?
A: Yes. REACH gives the Hydra a normal ranged Attack with vertical limitations. A Reach-ed figure Defends against a normal ranged Attack, including any bonuses to its Defense which it would normally get under those circumstances.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

No dice on boosting a Reach'ed attack with Finn/Gilbert. Even though his card says Range 1, it doesn't work. Same goes for Obsidian Guards and Granite Guardians.

Also, this:

Quote:
Maybe it can make sense thematically. If at least one head can see an enemy figure, the Hydra knows where it is at. Then the other heads can get to it too.

Head number 1: Hey guys, see that elf guy over in the bushes?

Head number 2: I see a guy in the bushes, but he's not an elf.

Head number 1: Well, he looks like one.

Head number 3: They dressed him up like that. He's obviosly not an elf. He's a half-elf, don't you see the distinctive ears? Only one is pointed, the other is round.

Head number 1: Well what's the difference then, other than the non-pointed ear, between an elf and that thing.

Head number 2: Well you see, the Elves are a rather snobby lot, and very into racial purity and all that. They won't help out anyone who's not a pure-blood 100% elf like them. They won't help out those darker elves, or those Eladrin types (despite there being no obvious difference between them), and they certainly won't help out any half-elf mutt.

Head number 4: So if the Elves don't have anything to do with anyone who's not an elf, how did that guy come about?
reminds me of the 3-Headed Knight that Sir Robin runs away from in Holy Grail.

"I say we kill him."

"Oh, let's be nice to him."

"Take out my sword - I want to cut his head off!"

"Alright - let's kill him first, and then have tea and biscuits."

"Oh, not biscuits."

"Brave Sir Robin ran away... bravely ran away away!! When danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled...."

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units