Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old November 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
what's so good about Knights of Weston?

I've heard people using them in some tourney armies and I can't figure out why. The Coward's Reward skill seems to come into play almost never. No one ever leaves combat it seems.

Anyone like them?
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Now that Sir Gilbert's here I love them! 4 common figs with 3ATK & 4DEF for 70 points. Hard to beat that in melee... if they can get there.

~Aldin

EDIT *sheesh* I didn't even mention their BEST feature - Human Champion Bonding! /EDIT

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
They have bonding to human champions which is a nice boost and they have decent stats (except they are slow with 4 move.) Several Jandar heroes boost their attack/defense values and now with Sir Gil they just got someone who can fix their movement issue. Overall they are a solid unit and look cool. And you get 4 figures to activate with one order marker not counting the bonding.

Newb.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM

ASmiles Woo who?
I've used them in both of the New England tournaments, placing 3rd and 4th with them.

The first army (400 points) was knights x2, Finn, Thorgrim and Krav Maga.
The second army (500 points) I droppped Thorgrim and added in Q9.

They are a solid unit with 3 Attack and 4 Defense. Looking at all units 70 points or cheaper, there is only 1 unit with attack above 3 (dumutef at 4) and only 1 unit with defense above 4 (Zettians at 7). The Tarn Vikings have the same stats at 50 points, but lack common status (for multiple squads) and human champion bonding.

Say cost isn't really a concern: Other squads who have at least a 3-4 or better: Marden Hounds (3-5) 90 points and 3 figures. Obsidian Guards (4-4) 100 points and 3 figures. Deathstalkers (3-5) 100 points and 3 figures. Sentinels of Jandar (3-4) 110 points and 3 figures. Tagawa Samurai (3-5) 120 points and 3 unique figures. So all the figures who pack at least the same punch (except the Tarn) are more expensive and limited to 3 figures instead of 4.

Human Champion Bonding - I never had to choose where to put my order markers. I kept putting the order markers on the knights until all the knights were dead and left holding glyphs. The bonding allowed me to use Finn and then Thorgrim to bond, and each of them provided the Knights with a boost to already solid dice numbers. Then in the end game I could bring in the Krav (with spirits) for mop up duty.

Also in the second tournament, glyphs were used, so I could put a 4 defense (5 defense with the defense glyph) figure on the glyph to hold it and not limit my use of unit numbers because they were common.

Granted, they are limited by their lack of speed and range. But these can be overcome if you know how to use them. They are not perfect, but they are a very solid unit.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Their speed really hurts them overall, but Sir Gilbert should remedy that nicely. They're just a really solid squad, giving you 4 figures that can work well as a group, or even seperately. They're best used to hold defensive positions and glyphs. I will say that they've been a bit outclassed by the Roborats in this role, but the rats can't really fight back very well either.

One more thing. The Knights can simply shut down some of the larger figures. Surround Charos with Knights and pick him apart from range. See how many people will disengage from 8+ undefended attack dice
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
They are knights - what's not to like ? (Just Kidding)
For some bizarre reason the knights are some of my favourite human characters, i think it's the shiny armour-it looks cool?!?!?!
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:52 PM

Jotun has disabled reputation
Once again, you guys have pointed out the reasons why the knights are good. I'll have to give them a try.

I admit that I'm not very good at strategy, but if there was an organized thread where people could read the usefulness of all the units, I'd learn a lot. I know the info is out there in various threads but searching would be tough since Krav Maga would bring up hundreds of threads. Of course, even I can see why the Krav Maga are useful, but I'd like to see how people have implemented their usefulness in tourneys.

Does anyone else think there is a need for a forum that itemizes alphabetically each unit and allows people to discuss their usefulness? It would help people like me get a lot more use out of models and combinations that I may not have considered before.

EDIT: I understand that there is an Official Units forum. I was hoping that if basically all the different units were stickied in alphabetical order that it would be easy for people to review and contribute.
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun

EDIT: I understand that there is an Official Units forum. I was hoping that if basically all the different units were stickied in alphabetical order that it would be easy for people to review and contribute.
Well that's always been my dream plan, but collating & upkeep would be a serious PITA.
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun

Well that's always been my dream plan, but collating & upkeep would be a serious PITA.
Check this thread, oh muse

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
They were too hard to use on most maps before Sir Gilbert, but now I think they will be really good.

They had some good possibilities of bonding before though with Finn and Thorgrim mostly.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I played a 500 point army last night made up of three squads of knights, three of 4th Mass., and Concan; thereby being an all valiant army with that boost. It was pretty devastating even with the slow movement. Roads helped, though, some.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Let me tell you: they are strong, especially if there are a dozen of them. Imagine two or three of them step on the attacking and defensive glyphs while the rest surround your stronggest figure and attack it 3,4 times each turn.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units