Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:44 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart
What Minature game do you recommend?

Well got into miniatures war gaming cause of Heroscape. So I was wondering what other games do you guys suggest I try. Preferably looking for a game that's not uber expensive and complicated like Warhammer 40k. No offense the game looks cool but I don't have that kind of money to drop on a game and nor do I have time to memorize over 20 pages of rules.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Minature game do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
Well got into miniatures war gaming cause of Heroscape. So I was wondering what other games do you guys suggest I try. Preferably looking for a game that's not uber expensive and complicated like Warhammer 40k. No offense the game looks cool but I don't have that kind of money to drop on a game and nor do I have time to memorize over 20 pages of rules.
You can get summoner Wars right now for $10 per starter pack. While not a "true" miniture game, it does incorporate many of the elements like range/melee, movement, etc.

Everyone who has tried it has raved about it and you can get it from Plaidhatgames.com for 60% off right now (Or do what I did and get both for Christmas).

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not sure what would interest you, but I know I'm currently looking to get into Monsterpocolypse.

Right now they are having a good deal on a 2 player pack.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_min...se&info4=Packs

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

MonPoc is moderately complex. If you want a light minis wargame, get Memoir '44. Great game. It's scenario-based, but I've recently played skirmish battles with my own scenario, and it's been a blast.

Plus, it comes with little green army men, little howitzers, and cool-ass little tanks. You really can't go wrong.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd looked over Memoir '44 because I assumed (I know, I know) that it be more complex like most wargames.

When you say "light" how much more diffuclt/complex is it above heroscape? (envisioning playing war with my son

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
When you say "light" how much more diffuclt/complex is it above heroscape? (envisioning playing war with my son
I've played Memoir against my (then 7yr old) and he picked it up pretty quick. Most of the hurdles are just learning the rules (which are easy enough) you just need the repetition. Nothing terribly complex other than coming up with strategies.

We never went beyond that first game though since green army men (as far as my son is concerned) are not neary as cool as Wizards, Warriors, and Robots.

--

Another option for a minis game is Archane Legions. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's crazy cheap considering what you get in the starter box. I picked one up myself but have yet to break it open.

--

There's also an older game called Dragon Hordes that I was just introduced too. It's just a rulebook as the minis for the game were never released. It's a very light table top war game. Got my copy from the current 2 for $20 sale the designer is running (I can get the website, can't think of it off hand).

The back of the book comes with a bunch of very flimsy cardboard cutouts for game pieces, but it's easy enough to sub the minis you already own into the game. We used Scape Dragons for our introduction into the basic game, and once we get going into the Standard game my son and I plan to bust out his boxes of plastic Dinos, Insects, and any other figure we can find in the house.

-insert signature here-
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

When Scape introduced DnD, I started looking at other games. AT-43 and Confrontation are great games but I would stay away from them as their company, Rackham, is circling the bowl and odds are there will be no more releases.

I also have Monpoc and it is a great game as well. It can be complex. If you do decide to get into Monpoc, visit BGG.com and print off the stat cards some saint has created. It makes for easier icon reference and gives the game a little bit of a Heroscape feel.

Plus Monpoc keeps releasing new stuff and won't be going anywhere with the Tim Burton Monpoc movie coming. I expect them to see a boon in sales now as I know at least 5 Scapers that are planning to head there in the post Scape purchasing world.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
When Scape introduced DnD, I started looking at other games. AT-43 and Confrontation are great games but I would stay away from them as their company, Rackham, is circling the bowl and odds are there will be no more releases.

I also have Monpoc and it is a great game as well. It can be complex. If you do decide to get into Monpoc, visit BGG.com and print off the stat cards some saint has created. It makes for easier icon reference and gives the game a little bit of a Heroscape feel.

Plus Monpoc keeps releasing new stuff and won't be going anywhere with the Tim Burton Monpoc movie coming. I expect them to see a boon in sales now as I know at least 5 Scapers that are planning to head there in the post Scape purchasing world
Yea, Monpoc has exploded in popularity. I was always and still am hesitant on it purely due to the blind booster purchase. The only thing that can get me hooked is the 2 player starter set that I linked to in my previous post. That's a very good purchase that gets you set up with minimal investment.

Personally, I won't buy much more than that until I see another deal. Blind boosters suck and I will not succumb to the level of collectability. I didn't do it with Heroscape and I'll be darned if I'll do it with Monpoc.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I highly recommend Songs of Blades and Heroes. Though it's not a minis game per se, more of a combat system. The price is only $5 for the rules. You can use existing minis you already have or raid Auggies or somebody else for cheap minis.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Not sure what would interest you, but I know I'm currently looking to get into Monsterpocolypse.

Right now they are having a good deal on a 2 player pack.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_min...se&info4=Packs
ARGH!!!!! All I needed was an excuse to get into this game... curse you Greyelephant!

I refuse to get into blind purchse as well, but if I can get all I need in one shot... then there's ePay of course.

-insert signature here-
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM

well, Nyys it would be nice to know if there are others that are planning on taking advantage of that deal so we could trade unwanted sets. Im mainly wanting the Terrasaurs and Planet Eaters. Id be bummed if I didnt get them.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm putting together a list of stuff I need to pick up for various Secret Santa's I'm participating in this year, and I refuse to pay shipping, so I'm always looking for an excuse to get over the Free Shipping threshhold from CSI.

--

I almost got into MonPoc about a year ago, was going to buy a fellow Scapers entire collection. Was supposed to happen at a tourney we were both going to be at but one of use couldn't make it in the end and it didn't happen.

Hopefully Santa will bring lots of cash this year so I can get this game by the case so I'm guaranteed to get one of everything (that's how it works with MonPoc right, if you want to be sure to get everything in a series?).

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures