Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:17 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: dok's D&D customs

I ended up using the language I developed in my old "re-working Trample Denial" thread. Since this guy can't nagrub heal and only has 5 life, he can't disengage like TKN does, so being able to spend the trample movement but not move will prevent him from getting pinned in too easily.

With this change, I definitely want to do some testing before I drop it below 200. Eliminating trample denial might be a big deal.
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Cool sculpt and powers. Paired with GGs, that guy will be worth every bit of 200 points (Gelmir + 3 squads of Granite Guardians). Albeit slow moving, but 4 attack/6 defense rockers (6 attack with height[Landslide]!), backed by that beast, are going to slow roll though most things. Fast-moving auto-wounders (black wyrmlings come to mind) will be good counters, though.
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Just glancing at the first posts, I like the Griffon, though I wonder if maybe she's under-costed. Even without the Bonding.

The Skeletal Giants sound really cool, especially the first power. I like the way you handled their skeletal resilience.

Trample Attack is a nice variant on Tetsubo, though I have the equiceph and minotaur, and they seem to me to be medium and large, respectively. I don't know about the other fig.

It's great that you made the Driders Arachnids, but other than that, they seem too derivative of the Deepwyrm Drow.

Old November 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I ended up using the language I developed in my old "re-working Trample Denial" thread. Since this guy can't nagrub heal and only has 5 life, he can't disengage like TKN does, so being able to spend the trample movement but not move will prevent him from getting pinned in too easily.

With this change, I definitely want to do some testing before I drop it below 200. Eliminating trample denial might be a big deal.
I like the new language except for one item. I think it should say that he must move to the space the figure formerly occupied, not may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Here's a power I was toying with:
Zombie Slam 12

When a small or medium figure rolls defense dice and is not destroyed by an attack from this Zombie Hulk, immediately roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, you may move that figure one space. A figure moved by Zombie Slam never takes any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved by Zombie Slam is subject to falling damage.
It's basically a nerfed version of Shurrak's Knockback. The "one space" terminology automatically means you can only move down or to level spaces.
The power also guarantees that it won't work on slippery ice or heavy snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:

I like the new language except for one item. I think it should say that he must move to the space the figure formerly occupied, not may.
Is the Earth Titan a one-space figure?

In any case, both the Titan and Zetchr are very, very good!

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
Cool sculpt and powers. Paired with GGs, that guy will be worth every bit of 200 points (Gelmir + 3 squads of Granite Guardians). Albeit slow moving, but 4 attack/6 defense rockers (6 attack with height[Landslide]!), backed by that beast, are going to slow roll though most things. Fast-moving auto-wounders (black wyrmlings come to mind) will be good counters, though.
Thanks. Yeah, anything with autowounds does well against the GG+Gelmir combo. Even then they're in Gelmir's aura, though, GGs are basically no stronger than minions, and minions have plenty of bad matchups. Even with the Elementar power, I would probably be more confident playing Glemir+Cuttersx5 or Gelmir+PKx4 or Gelmir+Raelin+Krav+whatever, than Gelmir+GGx3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Just glancing at the first posts, I like the Griffon, though I wonder if maybe she's under-costed. Even without the Bonding.
She is pretty awesome. I just got the sculpt, and boy oh boy am I excited to test her now, although I need to re-base her (I cut the D&D base down to single-hex size, and it would be stable except that the plastic is too soft). Still, I don't think she's really part of any power build I can come up with as-is, so I have a hard time arguing she's undercosted. The ability to carry a friendly into battle and THEN start acting like a Wyvern is really, really cool, but 100 points takes a lot of squads off the table.

Quote:
The Skeletal Giants sound really cool, especially the first power. I like the way you handled their skeletal resilience.

Trample Attack is a nice variant on Tetsubo, though I have the equiceph and minotaur, and they seem to me to be medium and large, respectively. I don't know about the other fig.
As of a few days ago, I have the equiceph and the cyclops. The equiceph is a very big medium figure or a rather little large figure; he looks much better on a single base, for sure, but I don't think he'd fit on a classic medium HS base. The cyclops is bigger, and definitely a double-hexer. Unfortunately, it appears that those figures just don't make a cohesive-looking squad.

Quote:
It's great that you made the Driders Arachnids, but other than that, they seem too derivative of the Deepwyrm Drow.
I agree. Also, based on my understanding of base sizes (I don't have any of those figures) I don't think the sizes of those figures match up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:

It should get tested, but I like keeping it as-is. As I said, a 5-life, non-regenerating figure can't be nearly as cavalier about disengaging as TKN is. If you can't disengage, then two squaddies engaging you on opposite sides can keep you from using Rolling landslide without taking a disengagement swipe. The "may" frees you from that. Note that you spend the movement whether or not you make the move, though.

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a power I was toying with:
Zombie Slam 12

When a small or medium figure rolls defense dice and is not destroyed by an attack from this Zombie Hulk, immediately roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 12 or higher, you may move that figure one space. A figure moved by Zombie Slam never takes any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved by Zombie Slam is subject to falling damage.
It's basically a nerfed version of Shurrak's Knockback. The "one space" terminology automatically means you can only move down or to level spaces.
The power also guarantees that it won't work on slippery ice or heavy snow.
Heh. Yeah, good point. Good thing I didn't use that one, eh?

Quote:
Is the Earth Titan a one-space figure?
Decidedly not. He's height 11 (I've measured him) and very beefy, and his big feet require a large Grimnak/Mimring-style peanut base.

Quote:
In any case, both the Titan and Zetchr are very, very good!
Thanks! Unfortunately, my newly-found more nuanced understanding of the D&D base sizes leads me to believe that Zetchr would present pretty ridiculous wing-denial issues to melee figures. It would be cool to find out, though...
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM

This one is something completely different. I took the (very inexpensive) Trebuchet figure in the new D&D set, and designed a custom destructible object card for it.

The model is too wide for a double-hexer, but would probably fit on a 4-hex shadow tile.

It's basically for scenario use, although I suppose you could design a castle attack map where one side starts in the castle, but there's a well-placed trebuchet on the other side that draws the defenders out. - assuming you have some soldiers to use it. Speaking of which, is the soldier distinction too restrictive? Maybe I should just require a certain number of figures? EDIT: changed the language so that it can get used by anybody that can manage three adjacent figures.

Last edited by dok; November 29th, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:49 PM

I've turned the first post of the thread into a display of the customs that I consider somewhat polished.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM

After some pretty intense edits by the CHCG24 crowd, I've re-done Gelmir, including re-naming him Crag and overhauling his version of Trample Stomp:

I think this new version is much easier to understand. Many thanks to the folks involved in the brainstorming.

Last edited by dok; December 23rd, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM

Must he figure he tramples also be on a space where Crag could end his movement?

Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Must he figure he tramples also be on a space where Crag could end his movement?
Nope. Just a spot that he has enough movement to move onto.

Here's a custom card I've been sitting on for a while.

EDIT: this post no longer up-to-date.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by dok; December 3rd, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Just a spot that he has enough movement to move onto.

Here's a custom card I've been sitting on for a while. I kept waiting for inspiration to strike and lead me toward giving him some different, creative powers, but I really like both of these powers with him, even if they're re-treads.

<card>

He pretty much HAS to have reach (his axe is 2 hexes long by itself!), unless I just give him a range of 2 (which I could, I guess), and those two powers take up the whole card.

He's not a very metagamey figure, unlike most of my cards which I try to make fairly competitive in a standard tournament environment. This guy hits hard as heck but in the end he can only attack once a turn. I might be able to get away with cutting his cost a little bit, but if I make him too inexpensive then he's completely ridiculous in a dungeon crawl or unique hero environment.
Sweet Jiminy. Give him height and an attack-boosting glyph, and he is a wrecking ball. On that note, a range of 2 will keep him from enjoying Finn's Attack Aura boost, which somehow makes sense. Pretty cool card/sculpt, but I don't think that Knockback will be used much...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs