Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Obsidian Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I don't mind the OGs. It's been mentioned before, but they're pretty decent guards. My brother-in-law used them on a castle map that had a back door through lava/lava field. I had brought Drake up to pound on the castle door for a little bit before going over the top. Unfortunately, he had moved two of his OGs by the door. His next turn he opened the door and brought them out: 2x4 att. dice - 3 def + poor def rolling = Bye bye Drake.
There's the thing though, they really have to be used on lava terrain, take that out of the equation and they become pretty ordinary.

-insert signature here-
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The OG's are of course, terrian specific. Lots of people say they suck, or are the worst unit in the game. Could you say these people are wrong? No, perhaps everyone saying this has not used them where they excel, in lava. I see both sides. On a "normal" map, a map with no lava, would you use these guys? Probably not, although I'm sure someone has. Would it be wise to build an army for a tourny with these guys? Again, probably not. Unless the map maker for the tourny is a lava freek with 8 boxes of lava terrian to use. Now, flip the coin, you show up to play at a friends house and the board thats built has a fair amount of lava, would you play these guys? Maybe, but if you did you'd find them useful, or at least alot more useful than before. I played once where the map had a lava feild just outside my start zone. I drafted the OG and found them well worth it. So, hate these guys if you want, I certainly don't play with much myself, but if I know there is going to be lava, I can show these guys the love.
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I usually shy away from using only one set of a common squad, and I bet a lot of scapers only have one set of these guys. That may be part of the problem.

Now that I have two squads and the Warden, they are probably worth trying out again.

I think their sculpts are among the best in the game, though. Really sweet.
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM

LOSTLOVE is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Hello everyone,
If you like the OG and Lava but can't seem to find any use for them, maybe this will sound interesting.
Me and my brother like using all types of terrain when making a map so that terrain specific units are always an option,(WE BUILD HUGE MAPS)
On one side there is lava and on the other ice,with a large battle-grounds in the middle, all the glyphs are in the most dangerous areas of the two.
If no-one pics the OG or the Dzu-teh, we take turns placing two sets of each of them in the two areas one at a time (they are not permitted to leave their terrain).
At the end of each opponent's turn, if they control a figure in one or both of these zones, you may take a turn with the OG or the Dzu-teh.
This has always been so much fun that we do this almost every time.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

When moving into a lava pit that is deeper than the OGs height do they take falling damage, or is the lava treated like falling into water for these guys? I would think there is no roll for damage in this case, but I couldn't find it referenced anywhere.

This question sort of hit me randomly when I was thinking how they might perform on Fire Isles (not that jumping into the lava would be a smart move since you can just keep them on the high point along the edge on the lava pool and get an extra attack and your LOS is
severely challenged from inside the pit).

-insert signature here-
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
When moving into a lava pit that is deeper than the OGs height do they take falling damage, or is the lava treated like falling into water for these guys? I would think there is no roll for damage in this case, but I couldn't find it referenced anywhere.

This question sort of hit me randomly when I was thinking how they might perform on Fire Isles (not that jumping into the lava would be a smart move since you can just keep them on the high point along the edge on the lava pool and get an extra attack and your LOS is
severely challenged from inside the pit).
Remember that you can't use their 3 range from the Lava Field hexes though - you can only use the range on Molten Lava spaces.

Ember Canyon Road is a nice map for the Obsidians, with those elevated Molten Lava tiles.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Lava rules indicate that Lava is treated like water, with the addition of the damage roll, so I would think you'd be able to avoid falling damage. The 5% survival rate is bad enough.

Old July 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker

Fun Fact: If you look on the back of the box for the lava expansion, you will see the guards' card is different. Instead of Lava Resistant, it's Lava Immunity and is worded differently (like "wound damage" instead of "molten lava damage or lava field damage"), and Lava Throw is a special attack. If you look at the boxes for the Master Set 1 and 2, it's the same way; especially for Master Set 1! Check it out!

For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, ...authorities, ...the world powers of this darkness, ...the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. Ephesians 6:12.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

daadamson3 *glass shatters*

i dont think the obsidians should be D- more like C
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by daadamson3 View Post
I don't think the obsidians should be D-; more like C.
That's nice.

The thing to remember about the Heroscape Power Rankings is that they are a competitive viewpoint. As in tounaments. You really don't see a lot of lava maps in tournaments, especially not enough to justify bringing such a terrain specific unit.
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM

killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker

I think with warden 816 the obsidian guards may be worth playing on non lava maps, but i doubt it.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

With the Warden, the Obsidians are still a slower, non-bonding form of the gladiator 'steamroller':

Warden - 90
Obsidians x4 - 490

instead of

Spartacus - 200
Capuansx3 - 410
Crixus - 500

(4 attack, 4 defense, but 5 move instead of 6.) That's a hard sell unless you know you're playing on lava, even with three more squad figures. You could swap Brunak in for the 4th squad for an even 500. That makes it a bit more interesting, but still lava-dependent.

If a new unit came out that could place molten lava tiles on a map, though . . .

Last edited by fomox; October 15th, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units