Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old October 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM

madmanmuzik has disabled reputation
I'm a big fan on bunjee's method. It lets you get a good group of commons if you want them, with out people stealing them out from under you, but it prevents the tactic where you take one set of gruts to prevent other people from taking them. The rest of the gruts are still there for other people to take on their turn if they want. You might restrict the amount of them they can have a tad, but then you have 40 points of near-worthlessness, and they still have a decently-sized group.
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Heroscape Architect Extraordinaire

caravaggio is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Our drafts go quite quickly.

The "lock-in" rule works very very well.....yes, it does block your opponent from getting any of that common, but it's no different than drafting Raelin to keep him from having her....plus it's not like he doesn't have other options at this point. 87 cards!

As for Carvaggio's idea....that's interesting but I question the fun of drafting an entire armyu before passing the option to the next person....that means the first drafter gets EXACTLY what they want, but can't adapt to the later drafts at all? So drafter number two could just pick the exact counter to the first army?
well....

none of us are so competitive that we're gonna try to take advantage of the situation and screw the first player in that way, assuming its even possible. with so many cards out there now i really dont think any well drafted army is going to be at any serious disadvantage to any other army (i guess we could discuss this point).

but additionally, we always play with between 4 and 6 players (sometimes so even if player 2's army smacks down army 1 chances are it's going to be pretty vulnerable to army 3,4 and 5. so the best bet is to just make the best/most interesting army you can with the cards that are left. for me, this usually means starting with some unit i've never played before and then trying to build some fun team around that. i'm always surprised how close any two armies of equal points are when they are both played well. as many diplomatic women are fond of saying "...it's how you use it that counts"
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
We often play with one person saying, "Hey, I'd really like to try out this army." and then presenting a reasonable sized themed (or not) army. Usually the other person or people (usually it is a one on one game) says, "Sure." The counter-draft can be just as interesting as the intitial army. And it is the fun that we're after.
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
My group loves the tenseness of the draft, so I guess it's to each his own. I would fear to take the draft away from them though! To us that's nearly as much fun as the game!

I love trying to predict what folks are trying to build, and deciding whether I want to break that train by picking something before they can and working it into my forces, or if I'd rather go for the counter-army, or if I'd be better suited just going for a generic strong army. It's like a little mini-game of bluffing and trickery before the smackdown.
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I agree, jcb231; the draft is an essential part of the game when played at the comptetive level. We sometimes play at the "honing our skills" level and then the draft is not the point, but the game play is.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
has been BANNED

We always play for fun, even though we play to win....to us real competition IS fun. But....when we are introducing new players and taking it slow, we still doa full draft because we all view that as an integral part of the game strategy, and of no more or less importance than the play on the board.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM

1shot_1kill has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkerson74

...in my play play group we just have everyone choose a color and stick with it, that way everyone drafts specifically from their general and expediates the army choosing process. The draft was cool when the figures were limited....but I have so many figures it would take way to long (for my patience anways) to have everyone go through a few hundred cards at a time to pick their armies.
I agree, when we play we roll to see who gets what general or group (soulborg, samurai etc.), highest to lowest, then you draft from that group only. With all the figures out it would take forever to draft individually ( I think I'll take the Deathreavers... no, maybe the Marrden Hounds... or maybe...)

Rath Dé ort!
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM
has been BANNED

Y'all must be slow drafters. We put out EVERYTHING and still draft fast.

Are you playing with people that don't know the figures well? By this point we pretty much know what we're going for in advance and then just act and react based on what others pick. Nobody needs to read the cards or dilly-dally.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
dnutt, is there a reason you keep posting this?

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I deleted them as he posted them. It seems very uncharacteristic...I PM'd him about it.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Yeah, it was like he was bumping alot of different threads but just kept doing it.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's